New to growing, 1st timer

2.2lb bags are probably plenty but honestly at $60 each on Amazon, I just got 25# bags of part A and B and know I’m set for a while. I’ve used … maybe a pound or pound and a half of them for 4-8 plants (it’s a long story) for 2/3rds of a grow.

Oh. I just looked. Part B is $45 for the 25# bag right now.

The light is quite honestly most of what you’re paying for in that kit. Marketed at $400 and netting 240 watts (so they say). It will veg a couple plants. It may or may not need supplemental lighting to flower four plants, it’s hard to know. Not much by way of reviews.

If you get an HLG - I recommend going straight to the manufacturer- less expensive.

With a 5’ tent you will need to learn LST (low stress training) techniques.
These are just approximate
12" for pots & risers
12" for fan & filter
Say 18 for light clearance above the plant
allow 6" for space between light and filter
These add up to 36" giving you 24" for actual plant height.

Now that you know what comes in a kit and received feedback on lights, see if you can put a package together that meets your needs and see where you end up at. It may be a little more than the package you selected. Hopefully you will only have to spend the $$ once rather than replacing it after the first grow.

To grow autos you don’t necessarily even need a tent. If odor emitted by the plants is not a concern you don’t even need a filter & fan. I threw up a PVC frame to grow autos in an unused bathroom. I do run the exhaust fan 24/7

1 Like

I saw a member say the little bags lasted him a year

I broke down and got the 25 lb bags though as I could not see spending as much as the wanted for the small ones

2 Likes

@Graysin thanks , yes the HLG site was cheaper. I went ahead and got the 320 wat XL LED lite after watching the comparison video on the both of them for a 2x4 tent. @Mr_Wormwood i agree for the price might as well get the 25 lb bags :+1: @beardless ill read up on the LST , I’ve read a little on it in the forums already but definitely need to read more. As far as auto flowering vs photoperiods as far as grow height for a 5’ tall tent? I selected the auto flowering because what I read they seem to stay smaller as well as faster harvest times and better for a beginner like myself…

1 Like

They don’t always stay short from what I’ve read here but mine stayed a very manageable 3 1/2 feet about

1 Like

@Mr_Wormwood so the 5’ height tent is probably too short to grow anything besides the auto flowering you think?

I don’t see why not. I seen where someone is using cannazym (I think is what’s it’s called) in their medium after they harvest the plants and it suppose to break down the old roots and the new plants can feed on them I think… I might be wrong

I have so much faith in jacks I would recommend to get the big bags and you won’t have to worry about nutes for years.

I honestly think that photos are easier for a beginner only because they are way more forgiving than autos.

2 Likes

Well, probably…
It really depends on how you train it

A photo period with no training will almost certainly out grow that 5foot ceiling but, a well trained or even scrogged plant can be made to fit, but with lights and venting it would be pushing it

Unless you want to try your hand at these techniques, or until you get more headroom, I’d probably stick to autos

@Loudman is correct that photos are more forgiving to beginners in general, but my first was an auto and it went pretty well for me

This is all just opinion from a novice grower btw

1 Like

@Mr_Wormwood and @Loudman ill probably just stick with the auto flowering for the tent i have. I’m pretty attentive as I’m retired so I can keep a close eye on everything and steady reading up. I guess I should give you all a lil info so you better understand my situation. I haven’t smoked since in my 20’s lol (long time ago lol) I’m giving this a try to see how it helps my better half out with anxiety , slight depression etc. I have slight anxiety so we have friends that use indica based and says it helps them, some greatly. Also going to try edibles etc. I also have a Levo ll be here tomorrow for infusions etc with both my grow and regular herbs. Any thoughts ?

1 Like

I highly recommend Cannatonic. It’s low-to-medium THC (Up to 15%) and higher CBD (the 10-12 range) than the average plant. It’s a 50/50 hybrid strain so it doesn’t show up on the radar when you’re hunting indica strains. I’m growing Indica heavy myself to help out a household of complications (we have an array of depression, ADD, chronic nerve pain, anxiety, bipolar, and some mild OCD) but have used dispensary-grown Cannatonic for years - it helps everything except the chronic nerve pain - CBD for some reason exacerbates that.

It is a photoperiod though - not sure if someone else may have formulated an auto version - so it would take a little supercropping to keep it under height limitations.

1 Like

Yep to this :point_up:

1 Like

@Graysin thanks ill look in to that also. You do any edibles or infusions like gummed etc?

2 Likes

I have had edibles but never made any really yet. I make infused coconut oil and cannabutter, but use it plain (not in baking) since I don’t have the tools on hand to measure potency. Didn’t want to send anyone to the moon with a cookie, ya know? :wink:

1 Like

@Graysin haha , I think the Levo ll comes with a basic table but pretty sure there are utube videos on the measurements etc I’ve watched a couple videos on utube already for using the Levo ll.

2 Likes

So I just read the whole ILGM Grow Bible. So it is necessary after harvest to both cure then dry your harvest ?

I see you have received great advice since I walked out the door last night! I reuse my soil but add amendments. I also keep the little roots in the soil since they have the symbiotic healthy microbes I want for future grows.

1 Like

@JaneQP so I assume if reusing the soil the next grow id need to start feeding from the start since the nutes that was originally in the soil when the first grow was started would be used up correct?

Correct IMHO. Make sure you flush the soil before harvest to get any salt build-up out.

1 Like

Ok , yeah I’m reading all the downloads from ILGM now. Definitely learning alot!

Quick question, will I need to start seeds in a small planter then transplant or can I just start them in the containers I’m going to grow them in till their finished? @JaneQP