Merlin's Grow Log

Excellent, I was pretty sure it was one of my buddies. I wish I had some to send you. My recent orders from ILGM have arrived in just a few days. I hope you find some.

I am loading another crucible when after I hit “save”…good stuff!

6 Likes

Blue haze has made it in the cart a few times. I looked at it the other day. I prefer the sativa dominate strains like this. @merlin44

5 Likes

Looking good man! That blue haze sounds good to me to.

7 Likes

It all looks outstanding. You’re off to a great start. I think next grow I’m going to start training some of my girls as early as you did. I usually wait till they’re pretty tall before I start low-stress training them. I do top them relatively early when they’re about a foot tall. But I would like to learn how to bush them out a little bit. Thanks for the post as always @merlin44 ! have a nice day :+1::deciduous_tree:

3 Likes

I just wanted to reply to your post quick and just say thank you for your kind words and all your knowledge that you share. You’re a natural. We both joined the forum around the same time and your grows were outstanding from the start. Your first attempt growing literally beat anything I did in my first year or two of growing without a doubt. Haha its true though.
I’m just trying to get my learn on buddy. Hope you and the wife had a nice Valentine’s Day. Have a nice morning

6 Likes

That actually made me laugh out loud! Too funny but that’s awesome that it triggered you to remember v-day. haha
Have a good morning.

1 Like

I am thinking about taking five clones in a few weeks, all from one of the Gold Leaf plants. I would do a comparison grow to determine exactly which techniques are causing which effects.

Clone #1 - Natural (No SCROG)
Clone #2 - Early LST (4th or 5th node) w/SCROG
Clone #3 - PRP (Predatory Response Pruning) w/SCROG
Clone #4 - PRT (Predatory Response Training) (PRP + LST) w/SCROG
Clone #5 - Natural with a large air stone buried in the bottom of the pot (No SCROG)

If I go this route, these will be grown in FFOF, 10 gallon fabric pots, FF Trio (late veg thru flower). Now that I have nearly enough light, it is time to knuckle down and really fine tune my growing technique. This may take a few grows but I hope to continue to get decent yields along the way.

I may drop a Maui Wowie as well, just for fun. Six plants is about as many as I want to grow at any one time.

Thanks, man…we had a wonderful day, went out for breakfast, then home and spent the day watching movies and holding hands (yes, even after all of these years-22).
Thank you so much for dropping by @neckNflu, it is always great to have you drop by for a visit.

6 Likes

That idea was meant to be used. I got it from hogmaster IIRC years ago.

6 Likes

Sounds like a really nice day. It’s cool you guys got to spend it together. Congrats on 22 years! I think I’m about 7 years behind you haha
If you do that comparison test please keep us posted. I think that would be awesome to see. You have enough skills at growing that not only will all your plants make it to harvest but I’m sure they will all turn out well. Then from that point all you do is pick out the best method(s) and go with those next time. I’ll admit I’m a big fan (so far) of topping early then LST them to my metal cages I put around my plants once they get tall enough and need to spread out.
Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing! Have a nice morning.

3 Likes

Last week I was going through my current inventory of buds and found several oz of White Widow and Gold Leaf from my very first grow (harvested May '18).

Besides harvesting at least a week too soon (perhaps two weeks), I also did not hang them long enough before final trim and putting them in jars. I then added (later removed) Bovida packs in the “still too wet buds”.

I was very fortunate not to get any mold or mildew. But, the other thing that I did not get was aroma…the finished buds had and have nearly no smell. These buds had been languishing in Ziploc bags for months because I did a much better job (still deficient) on my second harvest and just forgot about the buds from the first and they got waaayyy too dry. I added Bovida packs so I could test these buds with the plan of tossing them in the forest.

I ground up a bud today and vaped it in my Ghost vape. Wow! The taste was awesome! Still not much aroma from the buds themselves but the taste when vaped…reminded me of driving around Hawaii in the '70s. Excellent flavors upfront as well as on the palette after.

Effects…again very surprised, excellent high and came on fairly quickly.

In conclusion, don’t give up on your product too soon. Fully cured buds taste very different than freshly dried/cured buds. Getting them too dry is not a complete disaster. So long as you avoid mold and mildew, there is a lot of latitude in how you finish your buds. Finishing them “properly” is crucial but “properly” refers, in my mind, to the final product and there are many ways of getting there.
@Covertgrower @Holmes @WonkaMan @MattyBear @Not2SureYet @dbrn32 @DoobieNoobie
@neckNflu @livefast @crazyots
Thank you for reading my rambling thoughts, I try not to do it too often but sometimes my fingers just have a mind of their own.

16 Likes

One growers random thoughts are a newbies words of wisdom… :grin:

10 Likes

Yeah the cure is a huge part of the process, can either make or break the whole deal. That is another experimental area to investigate, I have always thought the longer you can stretch it out the better. You?

7 Likes

I have not been at it long enough to have real data…
That said, my latest experience supports your suggestion. I am going to compare some of my better stuff to it’s self at various stages of cure.

Edit: It is difficult to remember to take notes when I am stoned, this might impair scientific observation ROFLMAO

6 Likes

My indoor experience is only two grows, but I grew outdoors for quite a few years. Yeah if I smoke too much I don’t know whether to scratch my watch or wind my butt for a second or two and then I remember(sometimes) and have a little laugh at myself.LOL

4 Likes

… I’m sure it won’t be long before you rectify this situation… and maybe show us some graphs or spreadsheets? :joy::+1:

I’m glad you rediscovered that baggy and found it worthwhile! 'More Merlin’s rainbows!

2 Likes

Closer to six oz’s LOL, my surplus is ridiculous again…vets here I come Hurray!

5 Likes

So true

1 Like

Calling all SCROG’rs…below is a photo of the four plants that will be trained to SCROG. My plan is as follows:

SCROG ~16" above soil (except puny Blue Haze at 12"), will install the screens in about 5 days and train them to the SCROG for 1 week before flipping to flower. On flip day, I will remove lower leaves to make watering easier and get them off of the soil. I will continue to train for about a week or two after flip.
Being my first SCROG and LST, I am not sure of the timing of things.

Looking for constructive criticism to insure that my SCROG is not a big larfy disaster. I have seen a few photos of SCROGs gone wrong and all they got was a bunch of low density buds. I don’t want that.

Thank you for taking a look and letting my know what you think.

@Covertgrower @Holmes @WonkaMan @MattyBear @Big123 @dbrn32 @DoobieNoobie
@neckNflu @elheffe702 @crazyots

15 Likes

I would put all the screens on and see how much of the net they cover already. Once your nets are 70% full, flip to flower and train them to fill the rest of the net. You’ll be able to see which shoots you can remove because they won’t get to the net or will be too crowded in flower. Once the stretch is over, remove everything below the canopy that isn’t getting direct light and you will end up with little to no larf buds.

11 Likes

Do I need to estimate the yield per top and limit the number of tops? For instance, at say .5 oz (is that a reasonable est.? too high, too low) per top maybe 30 - 40 tops? Or just use the available area insuring full light on each top?

2 Likes