Merlin's Grow Log

As long as each top has a little room to get bigger and fatter without overcrowding the canopy. When you flip and they start stretching, you’ll be able to tell which tops won’t amount to much and then you can remove those accordingly.

2 Likes

Scrog really not my thing, but I feel like Matty has you set. From my perspective, bushy plant and small screen they will probably be full by time plant hits screen.

3 Likes

I think MattyBear has the right suggestion. And the 70% comment then flip.

6 Likes

@MattyBear @Covertgrower @dbrn32 Thanks for the valuable feedback, I will do just as you suggest. This will likely result in flipping about one week earlier than anticipated (perhaps earlier) as they are really growing at this point (42 days old).

Next time I will induce a bit of stretch early on and perhaps delay the first training by a week or so. Largely depends upon how this grow works out.

Thanks again guys, I would be growing larf and popcorn without your tutelage.

4 Likes

Anytime my friend :wink::v::bear:

4 Likes

Anytime! We look forward to your grow updates!

4 Likes

I was just over looking at laurap’s SCROG

How does the density/number of the colas look? about right, too crowded?
Certainly looks nice, but just want to get a sanity check.
@MattyBear @Covertgrower @Kcdaniels

3 Likes

Looks about right to me.

3 Likes

Fo shizzle, I’ve been following that grow from beginning. Would’ve told her if I thought something was out of line.

2 Likes

Looks like a perfect example.

3 Likes

Thanks guys, I will strive to emulate @Laurap
@Covertgrower @dbrn32 @MattyBear

6 Likes

Damn… Sometimes work really does get in the way. Can you remember those days, @merlin44? Anyway, sorry not to have chimed in, but you got good advice here already. Barring some unforeseen calamity, I expect that you’ll knock this out of the par(k)! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Sorry so late to the party @merlin44, but you are in good hands it seems. The timing thing is a feel for what that strain will probably do(there are exceptions). From the looks they may be 70 percent or close when you set the screen. Once you figure it out I think you will be happy. We used to just stake them over outside and ten plants would make a nice 5 foot tall sea of fat 8-12 inch colas.

3 Likes

I’ll probably be late to my own funeral…everyone has you covered. :+1:

3 Likes

The SCROG screens are in place for three of the four plants.
Here are a couple of photos of Gold Leaf 2, the screen is currently at 12" above the soil, I may raise it if they get tall enough to warrant that move.

Each day I have been removing a few inner/lower leaves and shoots in preparation for flip in a couple of weeks or so. Estimate the screen to be about 50% (area wise) at this point but only a few tops have grown tall enough to reach.
I remain unsure as to how this will turn out…I will have a better idea of how it will go in about a month.
@Covertgrower @Holmes @WonkaMan @MattyBear @Big123 @dbrn32 @DoobieNoobie @neckNflu @elheffe702 @crazyots

16 Likes

Looking great!

5 Likes

Looking good so far. Keep doing what you’re doing :wink:

6 Likes

Thanks for dropping by a taking a look @Big123 and @MattyBear, I am only a bit nervous because this is the first grow that I have done any real training or pruning.
With only a year and four grows under my belt, there is still MUCH more to learn.

My first four grows were quite successful without any significant issues. This means that I have not yet learned how to deal with significant issues. “A blessing…and a curse”

The success or failure of this grow (as compared to my first four) will go a long way toward determining how I will grow in the future. Natural vs. LST/SCROG

I say “natural” but that is only natural in the sense of not pruning or training as I am an indoor grower and there precious little that is natural about that! LOL

I am certain that with a little extra effort I can wreck my grow… ROFLMAO

8 Likes

They look great, just keep keep doing what you’re doing, remove the lower growth that’s not getting any light, and you’ll be kicking ass. Don’t forget to tuck! (Like you’d forget lol) @merlin44

3 Likes

When I first decided to go indoor( a 35" x 55" closet) I researched every method I could find and decided SCROG was best for the area I had, the quantity I wanted to achieve while maintaining quality and aesthetics of the bud. There are some variables that will work with you and some that refuse to. My first grow I set the screen at 7 inches because of some info I had read and partly because of past practice and results from growing outdoors. I personally like “natural” methods i.e. no training, topping ,pruning, but LST is the only technique I used for first grow and I considered it a success attaining 7 oz s per plant, the second grow I set screen at 20" and topped and pruned and got 6 oz s per plant, however I had issues with them eating themselves because I had uptake issues. I still consider it a success because some don’t get 4ozs per plant, I was disappointed that it wasn’t an improvement on the first but I did learn a lot. You are looking great so far the only thing I see (and I am no scrog pro) is that they may overrun your screen during your start of flower stretch. Maybe a second screen would be the answer if that does happen?
Keep On Tuckin`

5 Likes