Merlin's Grow Log

@Covertgrower I think that folks like you and a bunch of others that consistently spend their time helping folks that are struggling should all receive a double dose of “likes” to fuel your efforts to mentor people.

9 Likes

You don’t need a veg room, but you do need a flower room. Can’t be having light get in there or something haha. Once you have a flower room, well then you may as well use your old room to veg in. See how that works?!

10 Likes

@dbrn32 That’s brilliant brother!!! Might do a bit of rearranging whilst wifey is out of town this weekend:sunglasses::v: I’m not hopeful it will end well though…

6 Likes

Everything looks awesome. Your grow room looks very clean and well-organized. Keep up the good work. Just from how soon you started growing to this point your setup and your girls are more than impressive. I’ll be watching and learning from you. :+1::deciduous_tree:

3 Likes

High praise indeed, @neckNflu. You have been a great help to so many.

Thank you for all that you do for everyone on the board and especially for dropping by for a chat. Without the generosity of all of the experienced growers we would still be at square one and growing larf.

4 Likes

Exactly. I couldn’t have said it better myself buddy. No joke 99% of everything I’ve learned has been from this forum. the level of knowledge and the quality of members is terrific.
Thanks for sharing all your information and your knowledge. Your experiments alone are a great example and learning tool. Thanks for putting yourself out there and sharing those. It turned out great by the way haha .You’re the exact kind of member that makes the forum as great as it is. Keep up the good work. I’ll be learning and following along. You really have started to figure this all out and your stellar grows are proof.
Ps thanks for the nice words. Someday when I figure it all out I am going to have more confidence in what I post. :wink:

6 Likes

Two things…
#1, your words make me feel sheepish…Wow :blush:

#2, your posts are always insightful, helpful and kind. You were amongst the first to help me get on the correct path.

I for one have great confidence in your posts and appreciate the thought that you put into them. :clap:

PS I am getting ready to take my sweetie out for Valentine’s Day breakfast :couple_with_heart_woman_man:

6 Likes

Hi @merlin44 I owe you a major thank you…I forgot it was Valentine’s Day until just now reading your post :open_mouth:

7 Likes

This is my 33 day old Gold Leaf (one of four plants in my current grow - ten gallon fabric pots, FFOF).
I started LST at the 4rth node, no topping or fimming. I am developing a technique that I call “Predatory Response Pruning” which is intended to simulate deer and what not cruising through and munching on the plants.
I only remove about 1/4 of several fan leaves and remove the just the tips of new growth. The plants don’t experience noticeable shock with the resulting recovery time. When I cut just the tips of the new growth, I call it “FIRM’ing”, as in “Fudge I Really Missed”. LOL

There are currently eight to ten tops developing that are nearly as tall as the actual top of the plant. I have high hopes that my first SCROG will be a success, hoping for 25 - 40 viable “tops”. Still a couple weeks before the frame goes on, will veg in the frame for several weeks before flipping. The screen will be about 18" above soil.

@Covertgrower @Holmes @WonkaMan @MattyBear @Not2SureYet @dbrn32 @DoobieNoobie
@neckNflu @livefast @crazyots

16 Likes

She’s looking great @merlin44 keep on growing awesome.

5 Likes

Looking good! Based on your training you will probably be able to lay screen right onto plant and spread it out. She’s already growing really bushy.

6 Likes

Thanks, guys…Both GL’s look about like this, the White Widow and Blue Haze are getting a extra dose of 680 nm for a few days to encourage some stretch, they are so compact that I can barely inspect the main stalk. The Blue Haze surprises me as it is supposedly a medium height plant, both that I dropped have been very compact, even more so than the fairly short White Widow’s that I have dropped.

I am hoping that a good deal of attention to training at this point will result in less work later when the screen is in place. This is sort of like starting all over again, setting up for the SCROG. Never ending opportunities to learn stuff.

Have a nice weekend and happy growing. I will finish stringing the last two frames today.

9 Likes

I have plenty of Predatory Response Training (perfect name)! Deer love the tender tips of the branches and usually stop when the branch gets to stringy and tough, a Groundhog will pull a twelve foot plant right over and eat it all, a cow will eat it to a nub in the ground. If you have one of the above issues your best Predatory Response Training should include how to get a fox to build a den in close proximity to your patch.LOL… seriously!
I know @merlin44 we want to establish the response from the plant, thought you may get a kick out of a different perspective Plants are looking great man

5 Likes

That is great, man. I don’t grow out there, but i live at the edge of a state forest and there are deer everywhere. Too many for the cougars to keep up with.

2 Likes

That’s a great photo. Let us see a birds-eye view of her some time, so we can see her stalk snaking around! She looks awesome, and like she’s gonna love growing into that frame you built. Can’t wait to see her stretch into that upside down hoop-skirt. :star_struck:

4 Likes

Great description @WonkaMan, thanks for dropping by.

So far the stalk is just bent over a little above ground level, about 2 more inches before making the turn. This will be very interesting as I have never really done anything drastic to my plants in the previous 4 grows. I tried topping and fimming a couple in my first grow but found the natural growth more to my liking.

This is quite a departure from that…should be a fun adventure.

5 Likes

The top view is not very interesting, there is not much to see as the plant has very dense foliage.
GL-2%20Day%2034%20top%20view
Under the arrow, you can just see the spring clip that is holding the main stem down. Several of the “secondary tops” are taller than the actual main, this is not apparent in the photo. The stems on the secondary growth is nearly as large as the main stalk. I will start tying down the secondary growth in a few days but I want the plants to produce a few more nodes before any additional training.

Again, not apparent from the photo, the main stem is at 45 degrees where it emerges from the soil. If you look closely, you can make out a few leaves that were partially cut, those were the new growth at the top when I implemented “Predatory Response Pruning” (PRP) as described above.

The plan is to PRP them again in a week or so and again just before flip to flower.

9 Likes

That looks wild! This should be a monster of a plant as she grows out, with tons of bud sites! Thanks for the areal.

4 Likes

@Covertgrower @Holmes @WonkaMan @MattyBear @Big123 @dbrn32 @DoobieNoobie
@neckNflu @livefast @crazyots

A while back someone requested a report on Blue Haze. I am unable to figure out who is was, so sorry.

In any event, when I chopped the Blue Haze, I quick air dried a couple of buds that had fallen off. They were not overly harsh but had something of an “off” flavor. I was bummed…

I just sampled some fully cured Blue Haze…The flavor is quite nice, difficult to describe, but very nice. The effect (using my vape) is also very nice, a “buzzy” buzz for me. I like this buzz and will grow more BH in the future.

As I have said before, it seems that which ever strain I am vaping at the moment is my favorite. They all taste so good! Could barely tell one strain from another when I was smoking, vape on…

12 Likes

It was me! Glad to hear you like it and will grow it again. I need to get my hands on some seeds ASAP :+1::v::bear:

10 Likes