First Grow ever Need lots of Help

Do your plants a favor and get a different light. The included LED will germinate your seeds but it won’t do much beyond that. “300 watt” and “full spectrum” are in quotes - it doesn’t disclose what the actually wattage (power draw) is on the light but I’d guess it’s substantially less. Some other blurple equivalent on Amazon claiming 300 watt par value has an actual draw of 60 watts.

Only other thing is I’d go straight into a 3 or 5 gal fabric pot with autos. Don’t transplant more than once if you can avoid it.

2 Likes

Thank you! Would any 300 LED light be okay?

1 Like

Oh! Loaded question. I’m gonna say no - LEDs, especially the brands widely available on Amazon, are going to be lower quality with cost-corners cut, sometimes in weird ways. Most often it will just be straight up false advertising. Be wary of “watt equivalents” and “saves money on energy” claims. Be wary of lights that appear blue/purple in the photos.

My entirely biased opinion (because I was recommended both of these brands and have been seeing wonderful results - but I haven’t made it though a full grow yet so I have no “bad light” frame of reference) is to go for an HLG (horticulture lighting group) light or a KingBrite light (downside here is you get them direct from the manufacturer in China, and buy it from Alibaba, consequently you pay a bit in shipping and wait a week or three for the lights to arrive). They both skip the false advertising BS. The watts they list are the wattage you can expect, give or take 10-ish watts in either direction (often you can get a screwdriver snd crank up the driver to max power to hit the advertised wattage if it isn’t drawing the right amount).

Oh. Another good option - more expensive - is ChilLED tech lights. Great quality and cooled operating temps.

First photo is my Amazon light. Actual wattage is approx 100w. It’s a fine veg light. I don’t use it for anything older than 3-4 weeks and only photos, not autos.

This photo is my HLG 260w - actual wattage is 260 watts. Obvious visual difference even in one panel with density of diodes. More diodes on the same surface area = better lighting and coverage.

3 Likes

Thanks again! I’ll look into those options now.

1 Like

@dbrn32 an ec is used to measure nutrients in water right? Which is better for this purpose, tds or ec?

1 Like

Are you talking about the little holes or the ends of the leaves being cut off?

1 Like

Neither is better but majority of the people here use tds

1 Like

Yes. I think typical person that had good understanding of these meters would tell you that you want one that displays in ec. But for most of our purposes it doesn’t really matter just as long as you understand the scale display is caliburn to.

2 Likes

dont want to hijack anyone’s thred but I wanted a busy one for a quick answer…

Seeing what I can only assume is nutrient burn on really young plants, here is my soil mixture:

here are my plants:

I watered a cup on each plant for the first time yesterday. so from my thinking, the root system is encountering the soil deeper down and getting some burn on the leaves. Anyone recognize this look on leaves, dark at the end of one and yellow on the other tip?

Furthermore, since I added no nutrients what can be done?

Is this the right place to put this question or start another thread? I’m sorta new here…

thanks, all so much.

Bill

2 Likes

Your plant looks healthy.
A new thread is ideal just tag one of us with @
Like @ nicky
@nicky

3 Likes

@VOL4LIFE I’m as green as you we both got here around the same time your title was what I typed in search and matched you. I am very grateful for all the help this forum is full of amazing people @Graysin ty again your a true growmie ty to everyone on here making this the best forum around dido what vol said ty all

1 Like

Welcome and always feel free to jump in wherever. But as @Nicky said, it’s best for yourself and anyone who can help if you start your own thread and keep a running log/journal going. That way you can always go back to it and see what you’ve done along the way. My thread is about 400 posts long and is mostly me documenting everything daily/weekly because I will forget what I’ve done if I don’t write it down. You can tag anyone you see offering advice in other threads to get their attention and get them in your thread.

Also your seedlings look healthy and happy. No issues in my opinion. New growth will always be different than existing leaves. Be on the lookout for seriously discolored tips (nute burn) or spotting (deficiency, often cal/mag) as they grow but you’re nowhere near those.

2 Likes

You are too kind. I try to help when I can or tag in other growers that can. This community is amazing and helped me when I bought five clones on a whim. It is my karmic duty to repay that enormous debt.

2 Likes

@@Graysin water from my soil. I have no clue what the blue meter means I know it counts the particles or whatever just where you should be on a run off IV never done a run off I really don’t know about ph either. It’s too high going in and too low coming out? It says I should be at 6-6.5 pH

1 Like

You’re using water that has a PPM of like 0 or 2 when you water, right? Essentially nothing in it? Cuz if that’s the case (I think it is) then your water is taking on the ph of the soil.

Your PPMs being up around 3000 has a lot to do with that, I suspect. Most cannabis nutes are pretty acidic.

Let’s loop in a pro or two to figure out the best solve. My answer is always to flush it but that may not be the right move. @Covertgrower @dbrn32 @Nicky

1 Like

@Covertgrower @dbrn32 @Graysin @oldmarine My plants are a little on the yellow side.

Any ideas what to do?

3 Likes

IMO keep an eye but it’s not unusual for new growth to be kind of pale. Was your last watering a plain water or with nutes?

1 Like

Last watering was with Nutes.

1 Like

Within the last 12 hours?
What was the feed (nutes, ppm reading, and ph level in)?

Trying to discern if you could be feeding more, more often, or something else.

1 Like

The Nutes were Fox Farm Big Bloom and Grow Big. The EC in was . 89. PH was 6.4

1 Like