1st ILGM grow - Superskunk(fem)

Update, I can definitely see that she’s cracked, but no tail yet. Paper towel or starter cube?

1 Like

@Covertgrower yes natural light

3 Likes

Paper towel for 24 hr tail should show

1 Like

24hrs in water, then 8 in a paper towel and she had a 1/8" tail. Set her in the starter and put her back on the cable box.

I cut out a single cell from the “6-pack tray” which the starter cube is in, which is setting in a shot glass to keep it sturdy. Solo-cup over top for humidity/warmth and keeping the light out.

Figured a pic of a starter cube is pretty boring, so you’ll see the set-up when she pops. It seems workable.

2 Likes

And Retired Monday was a success :smile:
7-16-18

3 Likes

Living the dream!! Congrats bud! :tada:

1 Like

Dude, the little table that shows when the fish are supposed to be biting (and not biting) is spot on for ‘my’ lake. It’s about a 10 minute walk, I fish for the 2-hour window, and head home. You can see the activity of the fish (feeding on the surface) increase and decrease with the friggin’ graph :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It wasn’t easy getting here, and it could be better in some respects, but when my “to-do” list reads like “weekend projects, pick one” - and the world will not end if they get put off due to weather, I am agreeable with my lifestyle. Said it before, when you see those Facebook picture-thingies that say “All I want is a life I don’t need a vacation from” I’m pretty much there.

Now if I could just stop killing my weed plants… :dark_sunglasses:

3 Likes

peat is peat.

Thanks I guess?

day and a half later on the seedling.

Looking yellow. Any ideas?

1 Like

@SmoknGranny, this one is for you (I think, based on your mention of ‘other’ gardening). If you cook, don’t buy green onions, except once more. Chop the tops, plant the bottoms, and you can keep snipping the tops for quite a while. If you let one go to seed, year after year.

Next, for the low-low-price of about $40, I made the best “old guy” purchase at Lowes EVER! (the dump-wagon). I mixed up all my old soil and amendments for “other than weed” purposes. This is a high potency mix of everything, that I will mix with my natural topsoil, since it is all “Mountain Forest” hardwood soil :wink: I have anywhere from 1-2’ of good soil before the red clay appears - once I clear all the assorted creeping-vine roots.

And I didn’t kill the strawberries or ground cherries. I was walking through the garden center and saw a bumble bee on this flower (‘cone’ flower - perennial) so I bought it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I might try it. Right now I’m just growing a small pot of onions and have probably over a 150 bulbs left. I grow about a dozen at a time then I chop the tops and freeze. The bulbs usually go in stews, soups, etc whole. I haven’t tried it but supposedly you can regrow celery similarly.
:+1: I like your investment. Wish my little trailer was lower like yours :slightly_smiling_face:
Love your little garden. Love the coneflower. Wish I could send you some irises :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

So do I :wink: We could barter some stinky-flowers too LOL

I personally can’t tell the difference between the white parts and regular onions. So chopping one onion or 10 green onions to get the same amount… But the fresh tops chopped up and added fresh to anything make a difference.

I’ll post another pic in a week or so. I use a rotation, snip one or two, then by the time I get back around to them, they’ve grown back. If I find I’m running out, I’ll buy one more pack and plant them. But as a garnish and a little added flavor, you can just snip one “leaf” off and fix up an omelet or something.

2 Likes

Trying the celery here LOL Buy some with a good base, the n chop off the good stuff and put the bottom in a bowl of water on the windowsill.

2 Likes

I was trying to think of a good skunk name - meet Petunia. (Couldn’t name a girl Pepe LePew)

2.5 days from getting wet. I think I’m sold on the clone-rooter-thingies :wink:

I have a FoxFarms nutrient package arriving in the mail tomorrow, and FFOF This will be an entirely FF grow, following their timeline for nutes and whatnot.

2 Likes

I noticed the leaves looking yellow, but this evening they are green on the tips - near the light bulbs. Ditched the second CFL and put one over the center.

2 Likes

3 days from getting wet. I have plain peat, soaked and fluffed up draining. should be able to pop the starter out and drop it right in the hole I made with a blank.

@Wildwest

2 Likes

Still not much change on this one. But she ain’t dead yet. Waiting on her to get acclimatized and explode - or not.

2 Likes

I think that those starter cubes, while “peat is peat”, have a much different texture and density than peat pellets. They feel spongy, and seem to retain moisture without being soaked.

I peeked in the bottom hole and can see the tap-root poking through, since it’s going right into more peat I’m not as hesitant about moving her. After a few hours of light this morning I had to switch the pint jar for a quart so it didn’t touch the lid. May move her to the cup tonight or tomorrow.

1 Like