1st ILGM grow - Superskunk(fem)

A week of no growth and I carefully excavated Nancy, and there was no root growth outside the peat-pellet. I repotted in pure peat in a cup next to Petunia and starting over.

1 Like

2 Likes

1 Like

My little watering (and margarita) station, with the set of nutes I’ll be using. Already did the conversions from gallons down to a cup.

4 Likes

It took most of the morning to get the humidity adjusted and steady in the dome. It has stayed at 75 degrees and 76% humidity for several hours though, so I think I’m good.

I highly recommend the High Times archive for some light reading. “Nico’s Nuggets” has some really good basic info. This is from “Notes on transplanting seedlings and clones”

“Starting your seedlings in cups, peat plugs, Rockwool plugs or similar is common practice and a great way for plants to start out. However, once the seedlings are firmly rooted in the medium, it is time to transplant to their bigger plant container. If you see roots reaching the side of the plugs or coming out the bottom, you are safe to transplant. Remember that plants, especially very young plants, will go through some form of transplant shock for a couple of days after transplant. As such, many growers prefer to transplant as early as possible so as to get this out of the way and not let it interfere with the more important stages of plant development. To lessen these effects, be extremely careful with the roots, taking care not to tear or cut them during transplant. Once in the new container, be sure the new medium is moist and that your room temperature and lighting are correctly dialed in.”

2 Likes

I think based on the above, using a starter cube that is already in a cup-full of peat would save a step without the consequences of transplanting or going right into soil.

1 Like

I may end up starting over again. A clue for newbies. Peat is NOT peat. All I had on hand was jiffy pellets. I rehydrated some, broke them apart, and let them dry to the “moist” stage. I think it is too fine and compacts, and retains too much water. Repotted the older one, only had a 1" little root ball. and nothing outside the pellet - which was still intact. I gently broke it up. Put it in loose peat and the peat-pot to dry it out, and topped it with a little of the moist jiffy just to keep some moisture it.
but I just cut extra holes in the cup on the “not dying but really slow” one. Also bought a big-ass compressed cube of plain peat. Do you know how hard that is to find that is not already “fertilized”?

2 Likes

On a different note, here’s the new veg-cabinet. I figured that since A. I don’t care about the smell, and B. there isn’t much during veg, I just removed the veneer off the back and replaced it with a roll of window screen.
I think that this should allow the wardrobe to stay ventilated and close to my thermostat temp, and backed up near the wall, light shouldn’t be an issue if the 18/6 aligns with outside darkness.

Anyway, if I can get anything to grow, I can now have a rotation by having the next plant(s) getting ready for the 12/12 room.

1 Like

Nice! Love the diy. Was discussing a ‘breathable’ chamber with my friend the other day. I admitted since i dont mind smelling like purp is my cologne it would make sense. But majority of people need to control odor. Great idea with the window screen

I live in a house by myself so I always bring in filtered air/c02 in from the north side of house. Even when temps outside are 100% the highest the temp in tent got was 83% and plants grow much better with the co2 level from outside

1 Like

I’m a DIY’er with nothing but time on my hands, and if it got to the point where outside air mattered, I could back it up to an open-able window. Again, this would just be a ‘dark when it’s dark outside’ 18/6 chamber, and that window is shaded with forest so little moonlight even.

2 Likes

And this is the reason I chose to go with the FFOF for now. The ingredients look hauntingly similar to a soil mix that’s been posted on here:

“Ocean forest organic potting soil posses everything in one bag what your plants need
Powerhouse blend of premium earthworm castings, bat guano and pacific northwest sea going fish and crab meal Composted forest humus, sandy loam and sphagnum peat moss”

2 Likes

I’m going to mount a power strip in the wardrobe. and some type of adjustable height shelf for a fan. Don’t know if you have seen these, but they are in the key-making center of the big-box hardware stores, and are made for paracord - with an easily adjustable ratchet clamp.

The other thing is a cutter that is perfect for clone-snipping (with a new blade, obviously). Takes a generic razor blade and cuts against a plastic anvil.

2 Likes

My vent is painted flat black inside running to a box with a shopvac filter on an open end that both vents come out for both tents. tubing is about 10 feet long so not much light travel through it. I run around 760 true watts from three LED’s in my flower tent so they need all the CO2 they can get “My grow tent runs with a 165 true watt turned to .5@ 82.5 watts”

Im scared of dirt

2 yard questions: Does anyone know what this little bush is? They are growing wild all over, and seem to be doing better than the little ugly shrubs the dude that flipped my house installed. I would have $1000’s of free landscaping plants, as long as they aren’t something invasive or nasty in some other way. The outer leaves were all red when they first sprouted, and have changed to green since.

Second, any idea what this is? I left part of my yard that is visible from the road covered with weeds. The birds love the seeds and berries, the bees love the flowers, and I’m thinking this one in particular may provide good ‘camouflage’ for a big-ass auto. It’s about 6’ tall and is popping little yellow flowers up top - and looking suspiciously bud-shaped :wink:

1 Like

@SmoknGranny, you had a pic of a cactus. Was that a special cactus or are you just a fan? You also mentioned seeds or something, is that the pods where the flowers were or something that falls off?

I think this is the only ‘non-indigenous’ plant on my property. Unless you count one of those flowering cherry trees that don’t make any damn cherries :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Me too! I have 2 bathrooms - seat-up and seat-down/company LOL

2 Likes

I have two asshole ferret running around “Seat down” No ferret swimming allowed. they cant go in the hydroponics room either

1 Like

Nice blooming cactus.