When to start LST?

@Oheeeoh @Connoisseur @Budz420 @PP3121

2 Likes

Iā€™m not really experienced enough to off that kind of advice. Iā€™ve read you should not remove more than 10-15% of leaves at one time. Iā€™ve seen YouTube vids of people doing way more than that and their plant turned out awesome.

I think just do what youā€™re comfortable with. You should know your plant more than anyone on the internet. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

The bottom plant pictured looks fine, but the top one you might want to think about losing a fan leaf of two. :grin:

1 Like

The bigger couple that are on the top I was thinking about trimming off tomorrow. @Connoisseur

1 Like

Would you recommend pulling them off using trimmers? @Connoisseur

Always cut them off, never just pull them off,

1 Like

Only reason I ask was because I saw a video and the guy was just popping them right off. @Connoisseur

I read some of your grow journal, I saw that @kellydans had used bamboo to support the stalks. Would you know if those can go in about now on mine or is it too early. I was going to make my own trellis netting, still on the fence about it. Considering also doing a bottom and top row of the net, one now then one when it flowers. Any thoughts? @Budz420

2 Likes

The earlier the better if you want to stake. Less damage to the roots.
I havenā€™t run 2 levels - only one net. I can see the benefits though.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tag ! I spread my plants out in a similar way. I add the bamboo sticks later when the buds get heavy and remove the tie downs. You can also place the bamboo sticks and pull the Limbs gently and spread plant out a little more an tie wrap, to Create better light penetration.

1 Like

Cool, thanks for the replies, now I gotta find bamboo. @kellydans @Budz420

1 Like

Just about any plant store should have bamboo sticks I tried making some of my own out of local maple trees. didnā€™t work too well had too much Flex. Bamboo sticks pretty stiff.

1 Like

Is there any reason not to use nets? Or is it just a preference thing. @kellydans @Budz420

1 Like

Iā€™m not a net guy I like taking my plants out of the tent once-a-week set on the folding table catch my runoff for PPM an pH check . Also easier for me to prune on the table. So I guess it would be a preference , Iā€™ve seen some nice grows on here with nets.

1 Like

I may just do a mix of both, sorry I just want to get as much input as possible. Sick of buying it from the dispensary, prices always going up. Iā€™m a medical patient so it kinda sucks when you are paying as much as recreational use. I make canna milk so every Mason jar is about a quarter. Only lasts about a week so it gets pretty pricey. @kellydans @Budz420

1 Like

Your plants look nice and healthy youā€™re off to a great start. I see no reason you canā€™t reach your goal. If I can be of any help give me a tag. happy growing

2 Likes

The only reason I can think of not to use a net is if you need to get them out of the tent. It does limit access if you are growing short plants - but it is a huge help in supporting big plants and topped plants because of the additional lateral branches and all those sticky colas. :+1:
Just about everything - within reason, is personal preference and ongoing maintenance. :sunglasses: :+1:

2 Likes

Some experienced growers use their ā€œgreenā€ thumb, which they let the nail grow, as a type of trimming shear. :wink: :+1:

1 Like

Here is an interesting take on lstā€¦I call it LIGHT STRESS TRAINING lol. I found these tiny little but powerful 5 pack led pucks at my house and it dawned on meā€¦how bout I stick these under the canopyā€™s to encourage more light. Also Iā€™ve read my kind led K3 xl 300 2series have great canopy penetrationā€¦anyone have experience with these lamps??
Also any ever use mirrors for getting light to under canopy??? Seems like great idea to me but could it be too powerful?
Here are pics of my supplemental training lights what do you guys think??? I read @Connoisseur youhave answered a lot on this topic. Thanks guys.

Oh and happy st Patrickā€™s day!!!