When to start LST?

This is my first grow. GSCE autoflower. Day 17 now. Just wondering when I should start with LST.

@MidwestGuy @Budz420

1 Like

Most start when the fifth node develops. Looks like you’re ready.

2 Likes

I think being that they are autos - with less recovery time, you keep it gentle and start soon. Gentle spreading. I think you can bend them so that they generate stronger laterals. Bend far enough and they all start to think they are tops!
I didn’t train mine - and glad I didn’t. :sunglasses: :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you. Was there any reason you didn’t LST? Just curious. This is all new to me. I did purchase a 3 by 3 trellis net for my tent but wasn’t really sure which I should do.

@Budz420

1 Like

From all that I had read and heard from most on here, it seemed that the shorter grow cycle leaves very little recovery time (think topping or fimming - they take about a week to recover. That can be up to 25% o the available veg time. That could stress or stall the plant.
I was going to tie down as they grew, but saw that the plant was stretching itself to get to the light. I did get a bit lucky with the height… but glad that I took the route I did.
When I get back into photos - it will be back on for training. :+1: :sunglasses:

1 Like

I wasn’t planning on topping them, just using the trellis to bend them to make sure the canopy stays even. Also with the viparspectra 900w led, do you recommend it being a bit closer? I have had bloom and veg on since day 12. Had to adjust the light to about a foot from the top of the tent in order to keep the temps from getting over 80 degrees. Thanks for all the help, it is appreciated.

@Budz420

1 Like

I tried to keep mine 36-40" up from the canopy (you can get a bit closer, but the footprint reduces quickly). Staying around that height also kept the nodes nice and close. You should be fine with a trellis, just remember to soften the stems (similar to super-cropping), there will be less chance of breakages and it will strengthen the branch as it grows.
:+1: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Ok great, light was at 40 inches from the top. Do you think it’s ready to be bent yet or should I wait a couple days or more? I have watched a couple people do it at this stage and others that wait until it flowers. Super confused. @Budz420

1 Like

I would start the bend at 6-8" tall I think. That allows some laterals to start competing. I am only very new to this - others may well differ… Waiting until flower on autos would be too late - stretch is all done. They need to compete for top spot. :+1:

1 Like

It’s growing so fast , don’t want to miss the window when I can at least try to get a big yield from these two girls so I can start more without running out in-between. I will be getting another tent and spider farmer light for just for flowering hopefully by the time this grow is done. Next time going to try a few more plants. Didn’t want to get in over my head on my first grow. @Budz420

1 Like

Smart move! I sort of threw myself in the deep end. Started with 2 clones, cloned them, topped the lot and ended up with 6 plants in a SCROG in the 4x4 - and I was playing with clones while that lot veg’d for I think 10 weeks! It was a busy tent and a very steep learning curve.
I think my autos top out at 36" average - and I believe that is about average for autos - so starting at 6-8" will give plenty of stretch.
How big are your pots? They will be a limiting factor as well. :sunglasses:

This is my current - and first auto grow.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say that I have read every post here, and I am new to growing (started my second grow), many of the top auto growers here do some type of training. Many even top and fim with great success. I am very nervous to do those things as @Budz420 mentioned due to shorter veg time and recovery time. Since I am new, it would be a host of other issues to deal with as well. Once you get all your environmental factors locked in and under control, there is less to worry about and you can focus on the training aspect.

I went with a heavy LST regiment for my second attempt. Only one plant, and she is doing well.

Here she is at 6 weeks old (2 weeks flowering):

As I said, I am still learning. Best way is to jump in and do it, IMHO.

Best of luck.

3 Likes

I’m trying to get to @Nicky status! :laughing: (Just sharing some info. Hoe you don’t mind? :sunglasses:)

Check out this auto:

Although it is focused on growing medium, the plant has been trained quite aggressively.

1 Like

7 gallon smart pots with about 6 gallons of soil. @Budz420

1 Like

Day 22. Stalks are so thick I’m not sure about the LST. Is it normal for them to be that thick and bushy already?

@Budz420

You can help the plant create more branches without bending the main stalk over. Get light to the lower nodes and they will grow decent-sized side branches.

1 Like

Also check out “Bill Ward” on youtube. He has some supercropping videos where he shows you how to bend a stalk over that’s gotten hard/woody already. You have to squeeze/roll the branch in your fingers to make the branch soft enough to bend over.

In his videos, he makes it look easy.

2 Likes

Stalks are about as big around as a pencil. I figured it would take a while for that. The top leaves are huge and covering up the bottom leaves pretty well. I will check out the video but I’m worried about breaking it. @Oheeeoh

I’ve had lots of luck with fimming autos.
Here’s one of my GSCE autos that I fimmed.

4 Likes

This is my first actual grow, never tried doing any trimming or training. Fimming seems to much for me to attempt this time as I only grew two plants as to not get into a mess until I know more. I thought about LST, either with trellis or pipe cleaners. Still not sure about it. If I were to top, would now be a good time to? It’s day 22 GSCE.
@Connoisseur