VIRGINIA outdoor strain

Here is the Amnesia Haze, planted the same day.

7 Likes

And the Blueberry.

7 Likes

We are growing the same strains !!
I’ll tag you in my grow journal if you’d like.
Looks like about 4 weeks or so left in the northern lights. My blueberry auto seems to go through flower faster than the Northern lights…

3 Likes

Fine with me.

I am reading a lot of opinions that autos can take up to 100 days to finish, but the vast majority are being offered by people growing indoors.

I am at Day 56, growing outdoors. I can’t imagine even my sativa-dominate strains would need another 44 days in flower!

But, as a first-time grower, what do I know? Hot, hot, hot here in Central VA (highs in the low-to-mid 90’s, with lows staying above 70), with unrelenting sunshine. Does that hasten maturity?

Does I

I’m probably literally right up the street from you… Lol. Right outside the capital…maybe 25 minutes from there …
I have outdoor plants also… A baby northern lights auto, and a blueberry that’s about the same age as yours…
I don’t know if our outdoor conditions speed up flowering, but I do know the plants even to like it !

Two hours outside of the capital in a podunk mountain town that some call the Buckle of the Bible belt…ugg!
I’m sure that narrows it down a bit lol!
I’ve met them both - the one that got busted is only slightly more arrogant than the one that didn’t. TRUE STORY. Everybody around here knows the accounting - 1 for the lord, 2 for me…common knowledge.

At any rate - I’ve got Granddaddy Purple - 100% indica, and NYC Diesel - 60/40 sativa heavy, growing outside and so far the indica has out-performed the sativa heavy in every way.
They were planted outside at different times about 3 weeks apart, but as far as growth rate, the indica has been much better.
And here’s another kick to the ass - the indica is in last years tomato soil that was basically turned in the pot to loosen it up and have been getting Fox Farm nutrients, BB and GB.
The sativa heavy is in straight, brand new Happy Frog with a 2" topping of Ocean Forest.
They’ll be on the trio when the time comes.

I would think photos, which I’m growing, are more susceptible to the environment than autos.
Autos are just supposed to do their own thing.
If anything I would think excessive heat would hurt autos since in order to get the auto feature they’re cross-bred with Ruderalis, which is native to Siberia. It doesn’t get to warm there!
Well, it used to not, it’s been on fire all summer this year, but that’s a whole different debate.
Not an expert - by ANY measure, but just my .02.

Happy Growing Everyone!

2 Likes

Just saw our local mid-day weather report and she said that Central Virginia averages 29 90 degrees days per year.
Last year we had 45, might have to up that average! LOL!
Currently we’re at 18 which is on pace, exactly at this point, as last year.
She didn’t seem to think we were going to have as many as last year, but I’m sure that’s just a best guess.
Our local weather people are kinda…optimistic, shall we say.

In other words, they’re wrong most of the time! LOL!

HGE!

The indica-dominant autoflowers in my garden are vastly outperforming my sativa-dominant ones. All grown in the same soil, all planted within three feet of each other on the same day.

Blueberry: approaching 6 feet tall
Northern Lights: 4 1/2 feet
Amnesia Haze #1: 3 1/2 feet
Amnesia Hase #2: 2 feet

I thought the stretch was over, but just in the last few days, the Blueberry has grown taller than I am (5’10”).

The two tallest are threatening to overgrown my 6-foot tall fence, which would be a bummer, because the new Virginia law requires them to be hidden from view.

I am in the northern part of central Va., or the southern part of northern Va. I can give you the forecast for summer-50% chance of rain on any day. If watching the weather forecasters when you don’t like the forecast, just wait a couple hours and watch it again-it will probably be different.

3 Likes

Don’t forget the 100% chance of oppressive humidity, unless it rains, because then it becomes un-bearable humidity!

3 Likes

You are clearly Virginian! We really only get 2 seasons here, Humid and Rain, interrupted every year by 2 weeks of genuine cold. Not to mention the every 15 years 2 foot snowfall. I applaud you guys doing the outdoor grows here, if I could take it outside in July and August I might have done the same. I used to have an awesome vegetable garden every year, now I got a 4x4 tent in my bedroom-air conditoned gardening!

4 Likes

Kansas is kinda the same way when it comes to humidity but the wind here is relentless! Also I’m of the opinion that comparing this year to last year isn’t a comparison (with Kansas at least) last year was WAY hotter and more humid. I mean it’s mid July and there hasn’t been very many 90 degree days even tho the humidity makes it feel like it. Let’s get through August! :grin::v:t2:

1 Like

Great to hear from you this year. What Cannabin said is true KISS is the best and simplest way to go. If you can grow vegies and potted house plants this is a cake walk.

2 Likes

Looks like you changed your avatar. How’s the crop this year? Mine is doing well so far. Germinated June 6 transplanted July 5, two feet tall growing at a rate of 2" or more a day even with the extra amount of rain this year.

I’m keeping it as simple as putting seeds in the garden, watering and weeding as required, and watching for any signs of stress. No more trouble than a tomato plant, and a lot more fun.

No LST, no chemicals, no PH balancing, no shade. Just grow, baby.

Little known fact: Virginians were required by law to grow hemp in Colonial times. The stuff grows great here, outdoors, in regular garden soil.

6 Likes

You got it simple, easy, cheep. Nice pics. Not far from you we share similar weather. More rain this evening. Good luck with the grow.

Central Virginia covers a large area. I’m in the Cville area. Hot, muggy and the rain is missing us a lot of the time. My purple haze sprouted 5/29 and my 4 plants range between 31 and 34" tall. Once I got pasts the pests, everything seems to be going well, but I don’t want to say that too loudly. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Harrisonburg? Madison? Elkton? Stanardsville?

Wow… Fast growing from July 1st lol :+1:

1 Like

I am in the same area. First time grower. Have White Widow outside in 5 gal pots. Learning something new every day. Great to meet you.