VIRGINIA outdoor strain

Will be legal here soon. It gets in the 90s and humid. Will use FoxFarm Ocean Forrest.
But for a hot humid climate what is your go-to strain that grows well?
I’m looking at the Outdoor Mix here which is Amnesia Haze, OG Kush, Super Skunk. But there so many to choose from.

6 Likes

Howdy
@trx
Fancy meeting you here :joy:
I have a fever , and the only prescription is “Blue Dream.” :crazy_face:
But really I am curious about outdoor strains. I want to try the BONZA pack sometime-but it will be a while.
I am trying the Sativa pack ,with Gold Leaf this season.
Happy Hunting!!

SL out.

1 Like

In high humidity areas I would think a sativa heavy strain may do better than a indica dominant strain. The bud of a sativa is a little more open than a dense indica. This should help dry out and help prevent bud rot and mold which will be a major concern. Choose strains that specifically say are mold resistant.
Sativas are a little more challenging to grow and tend to taller.

7 Likes

Which auto-flowering strain would be the most successful candidate for just tossing a few seeds into the compost pile and let it grow on its own? With weekly fish emulsion and kelp liquid feeding along with my tomatoes and other plants.

Central Virginia btw.

central Va here too, south of the capital
july 1 baby!!!

6 Likes

White widow

1 Like

I grew Amnesia last summer and they took the Midwest heat like a champ. And when the October frost came ,they finished well

1 Like

Super skunk is a good one im on east coast just north of u same zone

I’m jealous but I’m right next door. I also agree about the sativas. You could also train your indicas too. An old friend used to run outside here in WV and he always wound up with mold issues. Rather than be overly concerned with strains I’d be more focused on ensuring u can get them proper air flow.

1 Like

Never grew outdoors but my ac craped out last summer and I was growing Acapulco gold from b.f. and it is straight fire and if you remember last summer was hot and I flipped just a week before ac quit

Central Virginia here as well. Sativa, sativa, sativa my man. Our humidity really sucks during the months of July and August and I think indicas will give us some issues but if you’re like me, you’ll probably experiment with some Indica dominant strains and see what you can shake… Sativa originates in hot and humid climates and the yield is usually solid.

Va We made it!! Happy growing!

4 Likes

Smack between Richmond and Charlottesville over here . Doing my 1st outside grow that can be tended properly. Had a couple of sad attempts but I have some Bruce Banner beans that should be here in a day or 2 some Mowi just going into flower in the tent and my stand by go to Gold leaf in the tent also. Got the biy 10 get 10 on the BBs so 3 to grow seriously and one to experiment with. July 1st.is good but my current grow will just have to stay in the tent .anyone else plan pn getting the grow going asap like I do ? I’m putting mine right in the middle of the wifes veggie garden and not worrying about who sees . My neighbors ALL smoke even the blue haired granny . The benefits of being in a farming community.

3 Likes

West End of Richmond here, near Short Pump.

This is my 4th year of growing outdoor in my backyard garden. Definitely lean to the sativas in our climate. I lost an Indica to mold last year after a typical late summer 3 day rain out. The buds were just too dense, and the weather after was too humid to dry back out before mold set in. Our super humid summers are hard on Indica.

Sativas were quite successful though. Here’s a good pic of one of my sativa buds and my shoe (size 10) after harvest.

Can’t wait to legally grow this year!

4 Likes

I live down in coal country, SW VA. I’ve had issues with bud rot on Indicas also. White Widow, OG Skywalker, OG Fire all did good for me. Amnesia Haze, Chocolate, and Black Widow, have grown big, but got bud rot bad. Black Widow never made it period. I’m trying the OG Mixpack, Bruce Banner, and the Sweet Mixpack, this year. The OG mixpack does great in VA. Good stuff.

2 Likes

SWVA here too, impatiently waiting on July 1 to drop the seeds! I’m doing indoor though, too many deer…

2 Likes

That’s similar to what I got. The super mix pack with Bruce Banner, Gorilla Glue and Girl Scout Cookies. The only one I’m a little nervous about is the GSC. Others should be good to go, I hope.

This is all so much different from growing back in the early 90s out in Buckingham County. We used to put it in the ground from seeds collected out of random sacks through the year… no science or know how at all. But damn I remember growing some super fine weed…

1 Like

Getting ready to move my 3 monster cropped Mowi Wowi into the veggie garden . @Mirshaan we are close . I’m on the Powhatan , Cumberland line putting my first outdoor grow in . Thinking of just leaving them in the 7 gallon fabric pots for the first try . I had started 2 other outside grows but chickened out and moved it indoors

1 Like

SW VA here too. Had originally intended to go outdoor, but given all of the variables and the requirements to tag with identifying information, decided I’m going indoors…

More control over things and less opportunity for potential issues with neighbors, visitors, etc…

2 Likes

My neighbors are to far away to be a issue and no one likes me enough to come to my house so being a jackass has paid off for me in that was anyhow .
Still a month early but the sheriff’s dept around here didn’t seem to care before we went legal so I doubt they will bother with only a month and week left

6 Likes

I’m in Richmond City, Southside. I’ve not followed the instructions for germination too well and lost five Gold Leaf seeds. Before that I had three Lowryder and three Wedding Cake actually sprout, inside on a heat mat then under lights. I moved them outside to some raised beds with drip irrigation that I grow tomatoes in normally. I decided to thin my tomato efforts this year as my spacing was too close together, so I planted cannabis in the place of a few of them. Autoflowering btw.

So now I have 20 (buy 10, get 10 free) White Widow feminized on the way, no telling when they’ll get here. When is too late to plant the sprouts outside? I was thinking about sprouting 5 or 10 now and keeping the rest in the fridge for winter inside.

1 Like