Super Skunk x Purple Star, Hydro Grow #2

Did you build one of these? I’m curious how many pelt units it would take to chill like a 20 gal reservoir from 72-73° down to 68°. Electrical isn’t my strong suit but for $50-60 instead of $400, I’m willing to learn.

2 Likes

heck yah @Graysin im following your build bro! …its super exciting to see this play out i mean i live in the desert a water chiller isnt a want its 100% a need, i would drive my self insane chasing res temps and man the retail price is a joke! building a thermo electric cooler isnt difficult if you can figure out all of the variables but you are on the right track you know whats up and i think its legit that your doing this and im down to help anyway i can…check out this design DIY 12V 420W 6-Chip Semiconductor Refrigeration Cooling Device Thermoelectric Co Sale - Banggood USA-arrival notice-arrival notice

1 Like

it took me a minute to grasp how this works but the size of the pelt chip/waterblock doesnt really matter whats important is the size of wattage the chip /block can pull higher wattage colder/hotter temps. apparently its all in the pelt chip.

1 Like

I’m glad you came to that conclusion too. I saw a lot of diy setups like the one you linked and I was tempted to just buy one of those, but they all use the 706 (at best) - the 715 looked the best for the quantity of water I think I’m going to need chiller. But then I was second guessing if the size of the heat sink mattered more than the pelt block - and whether the water block had anything to do with it. But I’m guessing smaller water block = faster pass through the higher powered pelt block and less of an opportunity to accidentally make it way too cold, maybe?

You’ll have to help walk me through how to get the pumps all set up to get water to all my individual buckets :rofl:

1 Like

im here bro just let me know if i can help. and yah i mean you could buy one but its like buying a fish vs learning to catch fish :stuck_out_tongue: …on another note i know that water pressure plays a factor you want water to move at the correct pace …too fast not gonna chill too slow and not enough exchange not gonna chill but well get there lol

1 Like

Yeah that’s another big question. I’ve got 4 buckets right now but if my grow keeps going okay I’m gonna want to add a couple more. I don’t think my tent will fit more than 6 lol. But I’m guessing 1/2” pvc to connect all the buckets to the main reservoir, which will be chilled with the DIY chiller - question being where should the pump go? I mean the reservoir I guess but will I need a secondary tub for flow or…? This isn’t all that well thought out quite yet. Lol.

1 Like

the pump will hook up to the water block “in” port, you would want your pump in the last bucket on your line then the other port on the water block would be your “output” line so you would insert the return into the first bucket in your line or your reservoir and create a fallponic waterfall into the reservoir so that the return is being oxygenated while falling through the air…or keep it simple and just let it flow either way youve created a recirculating system and it shouldnt take long for evertything to level out in a single 5 gallon a thermoelectric cooler only took 20 minutes and everything was stuck at 67.5 F…of course i started with 48 F water so it actually had to initially heat it up instead of trying to cool right away

1 Like

make no mistake @Graysin after this we both gonna be fluent in thermoelectrical cooling systems :stuck_out_tongue: they top out at like 15% reduction over vapor cooling systems like the fridge freezer which hit closer to 40% but for hydroponics i think its golden.

1 Like

SPY your advice was on point!! ill get some pics up tomorrow but wow total 180!, raising the light and turning it up was the hot sauce bro thank you!

1 Like

I think it’ll be perfect for just keeping those extra pesky few degrees out during flower. I’m hardcore stressing over here about those roots but I need to vet out the bad airstones from my system and swap them for good ones. More oxygen would probably be helping. A waterfall rig sounds good IMO, more oxygen = happy plants.

Haha we’ll see! Bet you will be.

1 Like

man i feel it i am a stresser as well you should have seen me on my last grow when the AC went out and it was hitting triple digits in my grow room for weeks on end lol. no kidding though i had a 28 gallon reservoir and i was freezing entire gallon jugs of RO water and cutting the plastic off to make giant ice cubes to toss in my res. it got insane towards the end i was having to pump water out to refill with cold water then things would get too cold so i would chase temps for days. in the end i did what i should have done from the beginning…water chiller! lol

2 Likes

i completely did away with airstones ive found a much more suitable fix and or during or after each grow its completely disposable or reusable whichever…Bubble hose kicks for aeration i use it with a 30 watt air pump and it seriously feels and sounds like an earthquake test

51SvA7oy3+L.AC_SX466

1 Like

Oh man, that’s what I’ve been needing all my life. Just a few suction cups and a near little coil of hose on the bottom of a bucket… :star_struck:

1 Like

i just use a metal hoop and i use zip ties to fix the hose to and it sink like a car in the lake

2 Likes

FYI make sure you get hose clamps that are plastic!..thats important i found out the hard way that metal hose clamps and water dont mix they will leech and rust on you… even stainless or galvanized will become toxic with the exchange of nutrients in the res

Oof yeah, I routinely store stainless steel cement mixers in buckets of water (I am not sure why that’s the practice but it is) - they rust out about every 6 months or so. Faster if they have aluminum blades. I try hard not to leave metal components submersed for longer than absolutely necessary.

Also, totally grabbed a bubble hose just now before I forget tomorrow. I’ve got some playing to do on Wednesday while I wait for all the water chiller stuff to come in. lol. I’m so grateful my wife just embraced the crazy when I started into this venture and doesn’t ask anymore. She just wants to know if she needs to be home to sign for packages. :rofl:

1 Like

heck yah thats awesome bro!, me and my wife grow side by side except she is strictly soil and organics and im in my tent with hydro and beakers and test tubes and nutrients and pipettes missing a labcoat and it looks like dexters laboratory in the kitchen and there is always 5 gallons of RO in the fridge and buckets and tubs everywhere but she love the medicine and she knows its gonna be fire so i get a pass on my crazy. honestly growing has changed my life i cannot tell you a time when i was forced to think so far outside the box and comprehend things i had no prior knowledge about. it really has made me look at life differently im still new and there is s much ive yet to learn, but i came into the pandemic not about to sit around i wanted to use the down time to change my life and im doing things these days that i never would have dreamed of, growing has opened a lot of doors for me and it all started with a wife that was willing to let me off the leash…with the bank account lol

3 Likes

day 27 since seed!, shes bustin out!

5 Likes

More Yo-Yo’s incoming…

3 Likes

Show her who her daddy is… lol nice job brother!! :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

2 Likes