Some leaves look slightly wrinkly and serrated edges turned up

Yeah I suppose it coulda been a lot worse if I hadn’t been watching them like a hawk lately haha

@Graysin guess I’ll have to get over being old and learn how to use Instagram :joy:
I’ve got 3 feminized strains that I got from that site with mixed reviews,. No telling if they’re junk or not yet since I only tried the one seed that’s hardly grown in months. Hopefully not bad seeds or duds, Skywalker ghost kush had me excited from just the name haha

3 Likes

Most names are all fun :joy: I have a Dripping Panties and a Lady Gold just waiting to be grown - they’re reg seeds though so it’s gonna require more organization on my part before I get that line going. But all the crosses I could make with that :rofl::joy:

I don’t know much about my own seeds except they seem to germinate well and I haven’t heard that they’re growing slowly yet - wish I was more certain of the crosses that weren’t 100% autoflower, so far I’ve only grown one of those and it auto’s but I’m not convinced that’ll be the norm.

3 Likes

Like PantyWreck, or Skywalker’s Panties?:joy:

Oooh so you grew your own seeds?
How did you keep the males from pollinating girls you didn’t want pollinated? Is a separate tent that doesn’t share ventilation sufficient or something?
Someday I’ll probably try some autos just for fun, even though I’m iffy about the idea of not being able to control when they start flowering

2 Likes

@SynysterChris Yeah, I’m like you, old and stubborn, even tho I work in tech@! I prefer photos and clones, only reason I’m doing and auto this time is for some quick smoke so I don’t have to buy more than 2 oz from the dispensary! Bruce Banner auto gets 6 ice cubes just before lights out at 9am for last 2 days, and will daily until next week, then chopchop. Damn Trichomes aren’t cloudy or amber yet! Found another nanner on her the other day, thot she stopped popping them after I found 3 or 4 on her 3 weeks ago. Pinched them out with tweezers and ate them!

2 Likes

It’s definitely impressive how quickly they can be finished!
If I was more space limited like years ago I’d probably love them, but with my room being like 9 ft tall or so it would be a waste of space to not grow them tall haha
Oooh, what’s the purpose of ice cubes? Similar to the cold-air-dump?
Eeep nanners are scary! Glad it’s a low controllable number at least. Do autos tend to do that more often than photos?
Yeah I learned my lesson growing from regular seed… I wish I had known when I started them that it’s easy to get feminized seeds nowadays, seeds in general was very difficult years ago when I last grew. Basically had to find them in a bag, nobody could mail them or anything

1 Like

I reversed a female plant so all the resulting seeds were female. I kept all my plants In the room with the pollen producer and let them get pollinated. Afterward I collected all the remaining pollen in a small wooden box for storage. Applied some via Q-tip to my White Widow to avoid contaminating the entire room again. Since water renders pollen inert, one breeder suggested isolating the plant you want to pollinate, apply pollen, wait 3-6 hours, spray it down with water, then return it to the main flowering room. Reduces the risk of the pollen in the grow room that way.

Somehow it doesn’t bug me. Keeps me on schedule to have some autos going and doing their own thing while I futz around with my photoperiod plants for 6 months :man_facepalming:

1 Like

The ice cubes are to cool her roots so she thinks it’s gonna freeze soon, better push out more trichomes and resin and force the others to ripen faster. Least that’s the theory! And it seemed to be working, the soil was cool last night at lights on. This is also sort of a flush of the nutes, well, not really a flushing her, just no more food! I think the Advanced Nutrient line, while it works really well at all stages, provides too much nitrogen at the end. None of my plants have ever had leaves start to yellow by the end, and I’ve had to wait 3 more weeks than I was hoping for before the trichs started to amber. No complaints, buds kept growing!

1 Like

Smart! Was it difficult getting the female to switch to making male flowers?
@Spudgunner aah I see, sounds like a pretty valid theory, kinda simulating fall. I’ve been using an AC to lower my temp for a few hours at the start of lights-on, maybe it’ll have that same effect later into flowering, and hopefully bring out some pretty colors if my plants have any of the right genes.

Aaah does the extra nitrogen draw out the flowering cycle or something?
Nothing wrong with letting the buds get a bit bigger! :slight_smile:
It’s been so long I forget, to clean a plant, when do you stop feeding generally? A week or two before she’s done?
And how do you know when that is if it’s an unknown strain with an unknown flower period haha.
Guestimating by the triches??

Pretty much. It’s been a long wait! Pistils all turned brown weeks ago. No amber yet. I did screw up and forgot to turn the light off my loupe, so now it’s hard to see the colour of them. Have to get 3 little AG10 batteries for it, have all the major brand equivalents sot that’s today’s shopping list! But I figure another week.
I need her out of the tent! I have 10 foot-tall clones I’m going to transplant from 4" pots into half-gallon, maybe 1 gallon pots and put them in the tent to flower as soon as she’s down.
I gave away 4 clones yesterday to neighbours behind us. Didn’t think I had room for 14 + 2 big girls!

1 Like

Dang, guess I’ll have to brush up on reading and hope I can get good at that guessing game again. I always flushed and harvested correctly in Oregon, but it’s been so many years I forgot how I did it haha

Oooh a loupe,. Another thing I forgot to buy haha

You’re gonna flower them in 1gal? To keep them small?
I debated doing a higher number of smaller plants when I got this batch going, but thought with regular seeds it woulda been really hard to guess how many females I’d get.

Yeah, max 1 gallon, only because I have nothing else! And with 10 clones in there (plus 2). I don’t have the room! I got carried away making clones. People who I thought wanted some, his mom got some from work, others didn’t want to do it this year, etc. I have to get them out of my yard, I have 4 out there in 7 gallon growbags, that’s my legal limit! The soon-to-be 12 in my tent in the garage, well, nobody can see those!
Don’t know if you’ve seen my self-wicking unattended system I was trying, I am using that blue cage bottom (from the rabbit’s old cage!), it’s about 40"x17", and going to raise it up on pails and put the 10 in there. Won’t leak water everywhere if I overwater and it fits in the tent! So I can’t have too big of containers if I get 10 in it.

Remember, it’s all shits and giggles, until somebody giggles and shits!

2 Likes

Not at all. Applied silver thiosulfate once every three days from transition til a week after the male parts appeared.

Most of my plants are in 1gal containers. Small is relative. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Not sure I can say it… but that’s one of the reasons we smoke… :scream::thinking::wink::+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

2 Likes

@Spudgunner self wicking sounds like a lazy man’s dream! That’s cool, I do like the idea of higher plant counts of smaller/medium plants, flower a lot sooner etc.

After losing half my rooms potential to 4/likely 5 being male,.
I had to make myself feel like it’ll be better next time and that I’m already getting going on that haha,
So I decided to use my bedroom closet to get a veg cycle going under one of my smaller lights, probably the bloomspect 100 or 120w whatever it is. It doesn’t make as much heat as the viparspectra 150w and I don’t want my room to be an oven😅

Started germinating 6 of the feminized seeds from weed-seedsUsa or weed-seeds .com whatever their actual name is… this will be the true test on if their seeds have half decent genes or if they’re junk like some of the reviews state.
Started 3 skywalker ghost kush and 3 GSC.
IF they actually grow, the plan is to slowly veg them in my closet probably in 1 or 2gal pots or something while my 4 in the room finish flowering(could be 8 weeks could be 12 idk), but even if successful seeds will take weeks to get out of the germ/seedling phase anyway so I think I’ll be fine, plus can tie them down and bonsai them if they get too tall).

@Graysin Random question about light schedule,.
I’ve been reading on the whole 12 hour thing and it seems like there’s people that have succeeded doing things like 2hrs on/2hrs off etc, indicating it’s more about the total amount of time in a 24hr period,

Think its okay that I set the timer to 11 hours 45 mins to make up for the few minutes that I often have to open the door during lights-off time?
It’s usually not much, sometimes just 1 min to check the temp and humidity and turn on the AC fan.

1 Like

For flowering, or for the life of the plant generally?

I have used a 6/2 cycle for vegging plants - it seems to bet growth that is just as good if not better than 18/6.

I have only ever used 12/12 to flower - I would consider going lower on hours of daylight but not higher, probably.

I would not do 2/2 for my plants in flower. It seems to me that it would be problematic - perhaps @dbrn32 or @Nicky may have some thoughts on this - I know just a single hour of light in the middle of a 12 hr dark period is enough to prevent flowering. It seems to me if it were about total hours of light in a 24 hr period, there’s not much functional difference for the plant between 12 and 13 hrs (especially Indica heavy plants, who seem to flower easily and not mind a slightly shorter dark period). Interrupting the “sleep cycle” then, would be the problem, not the total amount of hours.

Yeah probably just fine. As above I’d go lower but not higher on my lights on.

3 Likes

Yup it’s the light I shortened, so 11:45 of light 12:15 of dark, to attempt to make up for occasionally opening the door for a min.
I Never interrupt it for like an hour or anywhere close, never more than a few minutes, and the light that’s interrupting isn’t direct, the shop is fairly dark, windows have blinds etc, it just isn’t “pitch black”, but even with the door opened it’s not light enough to really see in the room. I can see the AC fan to turn the knob cuz it’s white, but can’t really make out the plants.
Just couldn’t think of another solution to be able to turn the fan on and get it cooling down before lights come on when the knob is in the room. Thought about rigging up some redneck looking thing with 1x2 attached to the knob and coming through a slot in the wall haha, but that would create more light leakage than it would solve

1 Like

Probably not enough to be an issue. I have light coming in from my hallway, bathroom, and window - hardly any but if I’m in the room and let my eyes adjust I can see fairly well. My Pulse doesn’t register it at all, so I know it isn’t enough to bug my plants. Maybe a DLI of 0.01 or something :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Awesome :slight_smile: that’s what I had figured, that it wasn’t anywhere near strong enough to be recognized by the plants. Hell even with time for my eyes to adjust, I don’t think I’d be able to see past the first foot of the room.

Rednecked closet veg room is about ready to go!
Took a 0.4A 1/150hp(no idea why it’s measured in hp) fan that was in the side of a cubby in the kitchen, probably for a convection oven I’d guess,
It was hardwired into the wall so I shut our power off and yanked it, wasn’t being used there anyway.
It already had a switch wired to it so all I had to do was wire it to an old computer power cable :smiley:
First wiring experiment in years,
And I only shocked myself one time!!!:grin::grin::grin:
Wasnt major either, just the back of the switch. Didn’t realize it was exposed wires only 1/4 inch apart haha

Now I just gotta hope that these feminized seeds aren’t bunk. If they are I’ll be looking at other options, like you :joy:

1 Like

Motor that powers it. I learned that because of the industrial dust collectors and fans we use at the pottery studio. We have a 1 1/2HP motor on most of ours. Power hungry f**kers for real.

:rofl::joy::rofl: that’s better than I can say. I think I managed a couple good zaps while I was fixing one of my homemade lights. Dawned on me after two that if I unplugged the driver I could work on it minus the electricity. :sweat_smile:

I highly recommend checking out Farmer Freeman EZ XY - they’re sex testing kits. $15 apiece - discounts for buying in bulk and your first order is like 10% off with MRGROWIT as a coupon code. You can verify the sex of the allegedly fem seeds if you’re sketched out by it without wasting months.

I will be ordering another 15 or so in the next month myself for a breeding project in August. Gotta plan in advance for Xmas goodies when it comes to weed.

2 Likes

Oh nice you do the pottery thing too?
I was heavy into that for a while, wanted to make a career out of art.
Ended up being easier said than done when you can’t ship delicate pieces haha

I came to that conclusion after the shock too😅 so I unplugged it, turned to switch on, and plugged back in to test haha
Now it’s set up decently where I’d really have to Try to reach where I could get a zap lol

Oooh. Does one kit only test one time or ?
I don’t know much about feminization or seed banks but I was thinking the worry wasn’t them not being actual female, more like they could be duds with crap genetics and barely grow or something? Idk.
The one from them I did start sprouted just went slow, it is picking up pace though in the greenhouse, it’s roots are getting close to the bottom of the solo cup.
Yet the plant is still only a few inches.

2 Likes