Some leaves look slightly wrinkly and serrated edges turned up

Last grow our good friend @Not2SureYet ran the gas lantern scedule. There were moments he thought it would come ahead and do better but at the end of a fairly large home grow he was not impressed, multiple strains, genetics, autos and photos in the mix… All were less than appealing compared to his 5 years of growing.

Stick with what is tried, tested and runs true.

First two weeks run 24/0
Then go to 18/6, or 20/4 if they are autos.
Monitor your DLI as stict as the temp stick to 79f or as close to as possible and adjust humidity according to VPD chart.
Come flower 12/12 for photos, autos you can leave the same or change them to less hours if you prefer but keep the DLI in mind.
Running 11/13 works to, some have had luck with that a little more darkness depending on if it’s a landrace strain and what part of the globe it’s from (closer to the equater darker for longer).

Also to keep in mind autos will accept any light scedule, they may do best on something like a 20/4 though according to a pole on autoflower network and in my experience I agree.
However if trying to control the amount of heat output then run them 12/12 in flower and 18/6 in veg, or just run photos.

3 Likes

Which brings me to wonder,
If these things roots are reaching the bottom, should I already uppot them even though they’re little babies???
Left is the wedding cake seed I started a lot of weeks(idk) ago from that seed bank,
Right is a clone I took from my healthiest big girl

2 Likes

All my plants so far are photos, sadly I don’t know the strain. But yeah in general I stuck to the classic, 18 hrs light in veg and 12 in flower, I just took away 15 mins of light to make up for me opening the door for a minute here and there lol

I’ve got the app on my phone to get the light intensity in ppfd and DLI,
But am clueless as to what I do with those numbers and how they relate to the hours of light I give? That’s a new thing to me

2 Likes

The gas lantern works great for my photos. The autos haven’t like that for some reason. And up pot as soon as you can with autos. I try to by day 7. This is a 5 day old auto in a 5 gallon bag. Part of my next grow.
I don’t argue with @Nicky :grin: He does great and knows his stuff. I run a 12/12 when my autos are with photos. I do a 16/8 if just doing autos. Same as I veg with. I found with mine. They will do just as well flowering on the 12/12. But seem to take a little longer to finish. Another week or so. I have done the 11/13 with autos and photos. Same deal. They do fine but add a touch more time. Oddly enough. It was a non auto grower " @dbrn32 " that told me to run more light in flower for them. :grin: I did see a difference.

4 Likes

Nice!
I can see why uppotting ASAP with autos, and more light, could be beneficial when they’re on a biological countdown haha
Someday I’ll try some autos if I’m space-limited, but for now I’ve got extra room so photos it is lol
Just can’t decide when to uppot these two month old babies that got a slow start…
I was surprised to see as tiny as they are their roots are at the bottom now. I waited too long with my bigger ones and got them all rootbound in 3gals, don’t wanna make that mistake again but also don’t wanna transplant too soon and have pots fail to dry out…

3 Likes

If you are in soil. Autos are normally small plants. They can take up as much room as a photo easy. The longer you keep either in a small plant. The longer they will stay small. This little one is almost 12 weeks old.
If you are worried about over watering. Just do around the outer edge of the pot. The roots will find it. :grin:
@Covertgrower or @dbrn32 can help you with that :grin:

4 Likes

You’d be surprised what can be shipped these days. It just takes lots of bubble wrap and determination. I know a potter up on the east coast and she sends me gift pieces once a year at least.

These 3 are all hers, glazed with glazes I made.

Same with this one. It’s probably my favorite vase

My personal work is amateurish at best -

But I enjoy the chemistry of making the glazes. I keep telling myself one day I’ll get better at throwing but I find so little time to practice it’s essentially all the same skills I had as a 6 year old, and I rely entirely on muscle memory. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Those are beautiful! Love the raindrop looking effect on the middle one.
I enjoyed the chemistry of glazes too when I had a college to abuse and do my experiments on Their supplies while they paid me to upkeep the studio and let other students work. I was amateur too haha but they never complained cuz I was the only lab tech that was willing to keep the studio open until midnight xD
I never got great at throwing either. I’d make porcelain sets when requested but they were never perfect enough to even stack together effectively lol
That’s awesome you came up with all those glazes!
I could never get further than making one from a recipe and maybe tweaking simple heavy colorants like cobalt and copper to modify it slightly.

2 Likes

I started there, for sure. I got thrown into it headfirst - my brother was the one doing R&D for us but he got sidetracked getting ready for a massive trade show. I ended up delving into perfecting the glazes he made, and just kept learning and playing from there. It’s been four years or so now of goofing off part time, which I love.

:joy::rofl: I get away with it because I’m the only one willing to work weekends!

Absolutely. Love that potter - she’s incredible. Started out real rough but won a glaze contest showing off a small company’s glazes and stuck to her guns. She retired from her day job and has been a full time potter for as long as I’ve known her. I actually know a nurse who retired from nursing to start doing pottery full time, she’s opening her own studio here in town soon - very excited for her, too. I love seeing people achieve their dreams with ceramics. COVID made a lot of that possible, I think. What else to do but learn a new hobby while you’re cooped up for months on end?

I learned to grow weed instead of honing my skills :joy::rofl::joy:

2 Likes

It lined up for you it seems! And I bet some of the science/chemistry crosses over between the two skills haha. Like isn’t silica a major glaze ingredient along with a fundamental plant nutrient?

I’d love to get back into it, we have an electric kiln my grandma gave me that needs a few repairs, I could probably manage the repairs I’ve just never glaze fired in an electric kiln, the ones I ran in Arizona were gas. I know electric is technically simpler but I know how to run the gas ones😅

That’s exactly what inspired me to get back to the roots :sweat_smile: I was sitting home thinking “well crap I was about to commit to a career and now that business is falling apart,. What can I do… Hmmm… what business is about to take off?” :joy:

Most certainly. I have silica, bone ash, Epsom salts, dolomitic lime, and potash all available at my convenience. I think all the time about how I’m missing a huge opportunity to make an amazing supersoil - I just haven’t done it. I use the Epsom salts at least. I wonder if my silica would do the same thing that the liquid stuff does for my plants. …. I feel an experiment coming!

If it has a digital brain, I could probably walk you through it in about 6 buttons. If it’s an old dial (manual) kiln, it’s about 3 steps but I’ve never done it personally. I have a manual kiln but I haven’t gotten it wired up, the one I use with a digital controller is so nice it hasn’t been worth fussing with.

How funny. My dad was big time into gas firings. The glazes we make are designed for Cone 6 electric but they were made specifically to emulate Cone 10 reduction glazes because he loved the look but hated firing with gas (so expensive).

Absolutely making moves to slip into the right one! No doubt about that. If I could find a location in my area that was affordable to rent out, I would be throwing my name in the hat for growing, too. It’s just hard to find somewhere in or near town that doesn’t cost a fortune in industrial zones (since some absolute moron decided that it was appropriate to file “growing weed” in a totally different category than “growing corn” or literally any other crop).

1 Like

If it’s water soluble, I would imagine not much difference? But then again how to know what amount of solid translates to what amount of liquid…:thinking:

Ceramic studio supersoil! Sounds awesome!
Could even make your own clay pebbles haha

It’s probably 30 yrs old or more so im thinking manual, def doesn’t have a screen on it haha
For the most part what I know it needs are just some bricks fixed and new coils.
But with everything I’m trying lately setting up a place to build is a far future idea, like when all my stuff is automated😂

That’s awesome, I’ve always seen ups and downs to both but didn’t know they could be replicated.
I always had a love - hate relationship with the gas firing. Certain glazes like Vegas Red, I loved if I was the one firing the kiln so I could fine-tune the temperature and reduction to bring out purples,.
If the other lab tech did the firing I was lucky if I’d even get a good red😅
So when he was scheduled and we had a full kiln, wether or not I had anything in it decided wether or not I’d offer to stay and let him go home while he was the one on the clock :rofl:

Is doing it at your house not an option?
Like set up a huge tent in the backyard if the house is full haha

O.o
Zoning… Now I’m scared haha.
No way is my area zoned industrial.

Graysin said they heal and bounce back quick…

He’s not wrong haha
Pinched and bent that stem over lastnight, accidentally hard enough that it split open…
Happy tonight lol

Btw, do you start your calendar for flowering when you flip the switch?, Or when they show a noticable change?
My biggest girl just started going head on, sproutin new hairs like a teenager

2 Likes

Vegas Red! Man, back in the barium handling days, looks like. Nice reduction red though. Closest thing I can do is an artificial reduction red with silicon carbide - real weird stuff! fun to play with.

Not a chance. Not up for my residence being an address of public record for commercial operations. I don’t even let my neighbors know I grow (though I bet they know from the smell).

They may not care as much for 12-200 plant grows. I know some places just said “yep it’s just another crop” all the way up to the 200 plant limit.

Yep, weird like that aren’t they?

I start counting the day I flip, but I also know to subtract 2 weeks from my total flowering time (so if it’s 8 weeks since I put them on 12/12, I count it as 6 weeks of flowering).

1 Like

Bahaha yes that’s likely one of the bins that had a sign on it to shut and lock the doors and wear the gasmask to open😂

I definitely forgot or neglected the mask here and there though, might be a healthier man if I hadn’t :thinking:

Certainly a cool glaze though, I use this bowl daily. Vegas Red inside, Vegas Red + cobalt and copper on the outside

Aaaah yeah that’s part im still resentful about… But can’t let it deter me :confused:
Rather move my bed and a shotgun to the shop than let their bullsh!t stop me from the career I want.

Oh good… yeah would be kinda freaken ridiculous for them to say MICROgrows have to be zoned industrial, like who can/would rent an industrial warehouse to grow few enough plants for one person to handle… the whole idea of a “microbusiness” is that a single devoted person or a small group of friends or a family can do it themselves. Bigger than that and the word micro is obsolete.

Ah ok so it’s kinda like estimate 2 weeks for them to fully start

2 Likes

Very beautiful! Super neat what copper can do in a reduction atmosphere.

Yeah. I’ve seen one that said it has to be in Commercial zones. Literally any cannabusiness at all. Others have outright banned everything (knowing whole well it’s against the law to do that :man_facepalming:)

2 Likes

It was definitely one of my frequent playtoys, just never mastered it. I just remember with the right mixes and right firing you could get beautiful greens out of it, but that was like a holy grail, wasn’t often. That’s part of what I liked about experimenting with glazes and the firing, trying to refine the way I fired them, the level of reduction mostly. Was better at adjusting that than I was at mixing glazes lol.

!!!ugh! idiots,:persevere::rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
Are those rules governed by county, or city?..

After giving them my letter from the water company and other stuff she requested I haven’t heard from the employee that was dealing with me. It was June 7th I sent it all in so it’s been 19 days.
God I would HOPE they wouldn’t let me go this far in the process, having had my address the whole time, just to tell me “it’s zoned wrong and this was all for nothing and we knew that from the start and made you go do more work and hehehe I have your 500$ in my underwear”
:persevere:

It’s up to each municipality to handle their own stuff internally, so for example the Town of Taos may have stricter regs than Taos County, but they’re each responsible for enforcing their own regs, whatever they decide to enact. If they don’t enact anything, it sorta defaults to whatever the state did (which is zero zoning whatsoever as long as your nearest school or daycare is 300+ feet away).

It took about 21 just to get an email response from them not too long ago. I think dealing with the CCD takes more patience than growing the weed in the first place. :joy:

Nah, state doesn’t give two sh!ts what your zoning is and honestly they won’t check it. Your city or town also probably won’t check it unless you get neighbor complaints or someone is on an enforcement-fueled money grab. They originally had to work together to get people licenses but the state got sick of all the towns who wanted to ban it even though they can’t. So now the state kinda gets to approve and we’ll see what happens if a municipality tries to say no after the state says yes. I’m willing to bet a lawsuit is what happens and frankly I’m not convinced a municipality wins that battle against the State.

:rofl::joy::rofl: I’m the opposite. I fire everything to the “average Joe firing schedule” aka just poking buttons on the kiln til it goes to where “it’s supposed to go.” It’s by design - I figure if my glaze can withstand any old moron just slapping it in the kiln and firing it on a program with no forethought, then it’s a good glaze. More often than not they’re better with a customized firing program, but I rarely do those for glaze testing. I do those for the stuff I want to see come out nice to give as gifts etc.

This is my artificial copper red. I don’t get to claim full credit, it was a preexisting recipe that got gradually worse over the years as materials changed suppliers etc. - I can only claim fixing it so it fires red again.

This is how it had been looking before adjusting it

2 Likes

Guess I should look up anything Las Cruces has enacted, if anything. Haven’t noticed anything pop up online but that doesn’t mean there isn’t anything.
UGH didn’t even think of that,.
Guess I need to do some measuring cuz there’s a small daycare at the corner of my street :grimacing:
Would it be distance from the edge of my property to theirs?, Or distance from the grow area to their property :thinking:
It honestly could come into question… we’re across the street and 2 lots away,. I’m actually on the fence about that… could be 250 ft from our property to theirs and could be 400(freaken hope 400)
But my shop is on the opposite end of the property so I’m sure the shop is sufficient more than 300ft away.

Ahaha okay good so I shouldn’t feel purposely ignored if it takes a while😅

Ahaha good way to test honestly,. Cuz yeah if it withstands whatever then you know it’s reliable and will give people good results even with different firing circumstances.
Damn! Hell of an improvement! Turned it from milky to vibrant.
+1 science points for Graysin lol

1 Like

… oh god. This gets iffy.
Google says it’s 494 feet away.
… But they’re at the corner and Google is counting their address as being on the cross-street, when 5 years ago they added a parking lot and entrance on My street, that would likely shave off over 100 ft.

Fingers crossed that gets overlooked​:persevere::persevere::persevere:

1 Like