Question about nutrient readings?

Always refer to your TDS meter. Remember too if only watering and the TDS is under 100 ppm there is no need to adjust the PH.

3 Likes

That’s a great idea
Do you think I can get away with a 3 stage?
Or should I go with 4 stage?

Now when you say only watering do you mean with no nutrients?

Correct. Under 100 ppm and there isn’t enough to read a steady ph. It will just assume the ph of whatever it’s poured into. You can do 3 stage. It’s only $9 more to get it all out though.

Oh ok
So using R/O let’s say I’m flushing or watering with no nutrients should I still use calimag?

If you are doing some kind of feed/water/feed/water cycle I normally do cal mag on the water-only days, which is different from flushing. I always flushed in straight R/O if possible.

1 Like

Flushing no. Water only, yes, add cal mag. You should need to ph after adding cal mag

I’m watering every 3 days
What do you recommend I’m new to this so I need all the advice I can get
I just feed with nutrients every time
Should I feed twice and then 3rd time just water?
Or feed/water feed/water feed/water?

I am not familiar with the dosage on those nutes. If they don’t have the feed recommendation or a feed chart, you can use the search and just search for your nutrient line. You should be able to find a bunch of people using it.

I typically go buy runoff ppm. If it’s coming out a bunch higher than my input, I just run plain water the next time she dries out.

It that situation when the ppm is high and you just run water to power do you still use calimag?

If I run RO then I do (it only adds around 150ppm). If I run tap, I don’t add cal mag.

I’ve been told the tap water here needs calimag so I should probably use I guess either way just in case
I was reading the tips on my nutrients and it says
Consider freshwater irrigation after 1-3 feedings.
To flush apply fresh water irrigation 3 nutrient applications too flush excess mineral accumulation.
I think I should probably change my feeding to fresh water every 3 nute feeds?
What do you suggest?
Like I said I have been feeding every water with nutrients.

You’ll see a salt buildup in your runoff. When your ppms start climbing above what you’re putting in then it’s time to water only. Sometimes twice in a row if they’re high enough apart.

Something else to look at is a product called slf-100. The enzymes in it break down the unusable salts. Adding 5ml/gallon with your feed, every time, really reduces the need to flush; as long as you’re watering to runoff every time.

Cool
Boy did I get a schooling today
Once again thank you for all the great tips and information.

1 Like

@BobbyDigital
Quick question
I have 3 gallon cloth pots I’m using
How much water should I be watering them with?
I have been giving them 2 liters each
But I’m wondering if I should do 3 liters

I don’t recall seeing pics of them. If they’re established, you should water them with however much water it takes to create runoff. When running salt nutrients, I look for around 10-20% runoff.

Ok
Thank you

Just wanted to say thanks again @BobbyDigital for all the info you passed on,picked up a 4 stage already and set her up on Sunday so from 420/ppm to 0/ppm
I’m sure my plants will be delighted

1 Like

If you’re unfamiliar with RO systems, there will be a lot more waste water than RO. So when you’re waste water is pouring out and the filtered line is trickling, that’s normal.

Yeah so far so good