Preparing for Ohio Legalization, narrowed down to Cmh, or Qb roughly 3x3 to 4x4 grow space

I get it now. Those are just 2 separate configurations. 3 up Vs 1 up. And I would have to select deep or IR

1 Like

Thank you. Learned a lot today.

1 Like

Now if I could only find carbon specifications to repack my filters…?

1 Like

Yup that’s what I would expect. There are places like Steve’s led and cutter electronics that will set them custom for you. Like if you wanted a 3 up with 2 660nm and 1 720nm. That stuff is real big with coral growing crowd. Only they usually mix more of the 360-450nm.

2 Likes

I am gonna need more popcorn… Following! Glad I have a some time to learn first! Meanwhile momma got not only a lemon tree but a orange tree, some more veggie seeds… And a Aralia fatsia japonica plant etc… Oh well several mos before Ohio gets it done so… Fruit and veggies for now… Luckys!

2 Likes

Lol sorry for the heavy dose of DIY lighting chat. But there’s definitely some good info in all of it. Hopefully we helped rather than confused lol.

2 Likes

Very helpful…! And much appreciated!

2 Likes

I’m sorry for jumping in on your post but I’m new and not sure of lightning and have some questions and in my search I was directed here. I too wonder why to use QBs when the budget of $400 won’t get the grower the needed light. In a 20-25 sf space a couple of 1000watt hps will put some serious mass on the buds. I’m an old dude too and another @SlowOldGuy. I see the industry comparing their products to hid’s. I wish the new technology could over come the laws of physics and economics but I’m not seeing that. At present I see big dollars being spent and consumers being sold on upgrades before they’ve grown 1 whispy bud. In my opinion a person with meager budget of say $400 and trying to grow for the first time should really consider a 1000watt MH/HPS that allows them to dim to 600watts with the cool tube fixture and a 6” fan. That setup can be purchased for less than $400. Even in hot climates heat shouldn’t be a big problem especially if they are growing in fall or winter. Let’s be honest growing isn’t for everyone and it’s not right to sell people on expensive lights that they don’t need and can’t afford. I’ve known dozens who have tried to grow and failed. Most people including experienced growers have trouble in new grow spaces. Many factors come into play and sometimes you just can’t grow. The majority of people give up on it and then they are left with equipment that they can’t eat or sell. My local grow shop has more used equipment than you can imagine. That’s because they buy it back for pennies on the dollar and sell it again for slightly less than the new stuff.
We all want the new and improved but the real question is, is it really improved and is it worth 4X the money. I’m not new to growing but it has been about a decade. I’ve just germinated a few beans so I’m about to purchase lighting. Finally at this point in my life I can afford the best but I also see the wisdom in waiting. Can someone explain why I should spend the extra money on QBs? My closet is 10x7 with 8 ft ceiling. I’ll be growing 5 wwa in two 10 gallon bubblers. I doubt I’ll use the entire closet so 3 walls have Mylar and I have Mylar curtain on the entrance. Total canopy will be less than 4x4 using the scrog technique. My closet is at house temperature but I can get a small ac and exhaust fan if needed. I’d like to keep it less than $500. Thanks for everything and I wish big sticky buds fill your grow room.

If you would rather grow with hps, I would just grow with hps.

1 Like

I’m leaning that way because that’s the only thing I’m familiar with and I’m cautious with the new and improved when it’s not cost effective. If the new stuff can be justified from a cost standpoint and can produce the mass equal to or greater than the hids then I want them. I just can’t see it but am missing something and if so what?

Higher efficacy, more photosynthetic efficient light spectrum, and lack of bulb changes.

1 Like

50,000 hour life expectancy which equals 5.7 years of 24 hour use or 7.5+ years of 16/8 lighting or 10+ years of 12/12 roughly with never needing to change a bulb. That’s assuming running them at full power which most of us don’t so we might get even longer use from them.

Now if you don’t think you will spend that long growing it probably doesn’t seem like a great investment. But when you take the cost of good HID bulbs into account and the fact they should be changed every other grow it starts looking better. Then you add the fact you can get more light with less power consumed it gets even better. There’s nothing wrong with HID lights but the long run is where LED pays for itself.

3 Likes

Thank y’all for sharing your thoughts on this matter. I’m not sure if my grow space is gonna work. It’s the only area I have and if it doesn’t I’m screwed. Growing in Florida isn’t legal yet. I’m sure it will be soon but not yet. Because of that I have to keep things hidden and that brings about obstacles. Heat is going to be my biggest problem. It was 90degrees Fahrenheit outside today and in a few weeks it’ll be in the 100s. If I use hids I’ll be running a fan and filter and maybe a ac most of time. Like many, I don’t fully understand the technical data other than QBs produce enough light for dense buds. Are the QBs much cooler? Is there a small enough area that I could grow in without the need of an ac and a fan and filter? I apologize if I sound prejudiced in favor of hids. I am not. They are just what I have used in the past with a level of success. I’m really hoping QBs will be the solution to my heat problem and prevent me from needing to run a window unit. I appreciate y’alls help.

2 Likes

I believe the people that have switched have reported a 7 to 10 degree cooler room. But unfortunately unless your tent or room is in a air conditioned area you’ll most likely need AC. There’s a few others that are in that part of the world so maybe we can see what they say.

@Budbrother and @fano_man are both in the south east. :wink:

1 Like

i swapped from HID to QB to keep temps at bay,
with 800 watts of HID i was keeping the room at 65F, 80 in the box,
with QB the room stays 70’ish and the box runs at 75’ish,
the window A/C is now running half as much.!!

i did the math, HLG QB’s will actually save me money in 5 years of use.!
its pennies and a 5 yr investment, but…
its so much more comfy in the room now its worth it even if i lost money.!!.

400w HPS with some 25w blue CFL in the back…
WIN_20180404_19_04_05_Pro

400w MH for veg…
WIN_20180404_21_30_00_Pro

home made hoods…
WIN_20180404_19_05_57_Pro

2x HLG 135w QB’s, turned down to about 120w each…
WIN_20181029_14_50_09_Pro

a 135w HLG QB veg light…
WIN_20181029_15_09_12_Pro

custom feet for the QB’s…
WIN_20181029_14_52_25_Pro

HPS grown plants…
WIN_20180928_00_32_39_Pro

QB grown…
DSCN2295

3 Likes

You’re probably going to need ac anyway. You have to figure the coolest your canopy temps could be without it is whatever intake air temp will be. Your lights will make grow space temps increase from there, no matter how good they are.

3 Likes

Nice… I definitely see what you’re getting at. Can those lights be purchased assembled? I don’t trust my house to my level of electrical skills. If you don’t mind me asking how much money did replacing the hps cost you? I’m getting down to the wire with my light needs as my seedlings went into the bubblers today. I can borrow a led but I don’t like borrowing. Thank you for the info

almost $600,

yes, GrowersLights charges about $20 each.

thats not good, seed popping should be the last thing u do,
the system should run for a few days for temp/RH check before soaking seed.!

1 Like

I probably should have waited. However my initial plan was to get my grow space together while my seedlings grew 4 sets of leaves under cfls. Roots came out the sides and tap root was a couple of inches out of the bottom in just a few days. Seems like mike tyson was right about plans. Considering that I only had a few beans, rapid rooters and a few days to lose I said what the hay. I’ll just have to adapt to the situation and move on. Lol I’ll probably kill them off with my luck. No worries. It will be as he has willed it. All my planning and struggles will never change that one simple reality and I’m certainly not a religious man. I should put the bowl down because I’m getting to philosophical here. I just looked in on them and I swear they have nearly doubled in size except for 1. I’m gonna have to limit checking to twice a day to keep from over thinking things. Visit only to get data. I wonder how this plan will work out. Happy growing to all

“everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth”
who woulda known that Tyson was a philosopher.??? lol

2 Likes