Ph isn't rising

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed - Strawberry cough.
  • Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF - PineGro coco peat (which has a ph of almost 8).
  • Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths - 5gal fabric pots.
  • PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable) - N/A
  • PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable - N/A
  • Indoor or Outdoor - outdoor (bringing indoor at night)
  • Light system - N/A
  • Temps; Day, Night - 26 c
  • Humidity; Day, Night - N/A
  • Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size - N/A
  • AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier, - N/A
  • Co2; Yes, No - N/A

Started off well - plant just before nutes were given

Plant now

I am new to growing and made a rookie mistake by not testing the ph of my peat before planting the seedling :angry: so I have been trying to lower the ph with white vinegar which I already had on hand. After around day 5 it started to come down closer to 7 but then I stupidly fed it some Reiziger nutes which I picked up from my local growroom shop. After only 1 or 2 days of giving the nutes to my plant it started to develop light yellow marks and some of the tips are showing signs of nutes burn. Also appearing today are a few brown marks around one of the leaves edges.

As well as 2 of the leaves becoming clawed inwards like taco’s??

Have I completely destroyed my poor plant or is there any hope of survival?

Any help on how I can decrrase my ph would be greatly appreciated :grin: or do I just keep giving her diluted vinegar water?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey there! First of all those analogue PH meters are useless. You should purchase a digital one as the Apera PH20 for a reliable measurement.

Don’t know about them, follow their schedule and maybe going a little back on nutrients e.g. 1/4 dose or 1/2.

2 Likes

On another note. If you’re using purely peat to grow in it’s very acidic and that could be why it’s not rising. You would have to add dolomite lime to it and it would be a constant battle with your pH. My advice would be to go for a more cannabis friendly soil

1 Like

Ok thanks for advice @GoodMafia and @Davyg.

Oh btw I have messed up with the title of the topic it should of been that I am struggling to LOWER my ph NOT increase it (sorry guys).

My mix is peat mixed with coco coir plus I forgot to mention that I also mixed perlite and vermiculite to it.

Thanks for the help guys!

1 Like

Welcome! Happy to help. Remember that the PH variable for now is still unknown. If you are aiming to keep growing, purchase that PH meter I mentioned or equivalent about 50$

3 Likes

@GoodMafia interested why the ph is still unknown for now? I have been using the rod type ph meter reader (it’s in one of the photos of my plant) are these also not very accurate? That is what I have currently been using to test my soil ph.

1 Like

Welcome to the community ! Go easy with your nutes. I would go with only pH water for know and watch the new growth. Let the plant recover.

4 Likes

Unfortunately yes! You would be surprised if you measure it with a digital one :grin:

3 Likes

Yeah those cheap probes would probably say 7ph in battery acid. The moisture probe is the only thing on that device that can tell you anything. You can purchase real expensive soil probes that can be accurate. It’s just easier and much less expensive to test your runoff ph with a good digital meter to find out where your soil is at. Or by performing a slurry test with a digital ph meter.

3 Likes

This is actually a standard starting mix. I have purchased bags of the same mixture for starting my seedlings. Peat does become acidic over time…its not instant. But coco goes the other way which is why the mixture works. Feeding a seedling is not necessary and in fact it looked ok at first. As was mentioned just go back to plain water at the correct pH.

2 Likes

Ok thanks again for the advice @kellydans @GoodMafia + @BobbyDigital I will switch back to ph water only and see if it recovers. Oh and invest in a quality ph reader

2 Likes

I went through the same process, lol. I ripped off the ph probe so I could still use the moisture probe. It’s a good training tool to learn how light the pot is when it’s truly dry

3 Likes

Thanks @Spiney_norman thats good to know that I have the correct mix. I will revert back to plain water for now and visit my local growroom shop to buy a good ph reader. From what I gather I have probably just entered the veg stage so how much longer do I need to wait until I need to introduce any nutes?

:rofl::rofl: like your thinking @BobbyDigital

Never used this line. Perhaps someone who has will answer.
Most successful growers here start with 1/4 or 1/2 strength till the plant shows it needs more.

2 Likes

Guys are all over this @K8downunder. Like they said a PH meter is a must and will be an eye opener when you get the digital one :sunglasses:. I use Apera and it’s great

1 Like

Appreciate everyone’s help @Davyg

Yep digital ph readers so I’m looking at the apera ph20 or ph60 which is the best any recommendations?

1 Like

I’m in Australia so harder for me to get some of the American nutes over here and the Reiziger are from Holland my local hydroponics shop recommend them to me.

Any advice when I should be starting nutes? Once I get it back looking heathly again :crossed_fingers:

Yes, just plain water now untill you get your meter and then start out slow.
They look like fine nutes, just follow their schedule and watch for issues. Each plant can be different.
I have 4 in my tent right now. One is thriving and one is starving. Feeding exactly the same thing, one just seems to need more food.

1 Like

I use the Apera PH20. Few growers from Oz on here @Budz420 is from down under I’m sure. Might get a few pointers, I’ve tagged him so he will be here soon :sunglasses:

1 Like