Outdoor guerilla grow in the Alaskan Bush: the 3 Stooges

In the summer, it’s always sunny here, but not always warm. :grinning: We’re at about 20 hours of light a day, now.

1 Like

Time to drop a bunch of autos LOL perfect light for them

1 Like

Knowing you are much farther north, the light wakes me up at around 2:30/3:00am. I had to cover the window with cardboard to keep the light out.
Side note for temperatures @blackthumbbetty
I had a male clone I did some experiments on cold temperatures. 35° at night it still lived just fine. When it got anything below that, it never really recovered. Photoperiod though not autoflower. So maybe that bit might make you feel more comfortable.

3 Likes

If your worried or just wanna add extra protection, you can lay a square of cinder blocks 1-2 high around the base of the plant. This will help to keep the ground and roots conditions warmer, and help keep it under cover some till it grows taller and hardens off. Summer in Alaska is quite pleasant from my experiences fishing there.

3 Likes

Great idea, but I’ll have to hike a mile, uphill, then into the scary, bear infested woods. I am not lugging cinder blocks, for sure! Lol! I do plan on placing the pots on top of some log platforms that I’ve already arranged, using fallen timber.

The spot I’ve picked is sheltered on all sides by nice brush & trees, but it’s completely exposed to bright sun all day long. I’ll also probably be installing some netting to discourage critters.

@Budbrother I’m guessing you went fishing in glorious SE Alaska? I’m up in the Fortymile Region. We have quite a different environment, up here. :grinning:

@Covertgrower Thanks for sharing your experiment results. Does make me feel a bit better. :grinning:

5 Likes

Autos grow fine here in Norway in low temps, it’s the rain and humidity… It ruins the buds.

GL with your outdoor adventure

3 Likes

Any time! Always try to help my neighbors. :wink: I just heard about a grower in town that used to lift his pots up with ropes in the trees to get more sun. Not sure if that’s something you need to do, but it’s an idea in case you have to. @blackthumbbetty

3 Likes

I’ll post pics of the spot sometime tonight or tomorrow. I think it’ll get plenty of sun, but since it’s in tundra, I definitely need to keep it off the ground.

1 Like

I pulled the plug on the heat mat. If it hasn’t started popping yet, winter won’t wait. :grinning:

I have 2 seedlings (one of each) & another kush seed starting to pop up. I was hoping for 2 diesels & 1 kush. Oh, well. :grinning:

2 Likes

It looks like I let the diesel seedling dry out a bit too much or there was some other issue, but I’m hoping I can fix it. One of its cotyledons started yellowing yesterday & it was very flimsy to touch.

I have never used Light Warrior as a starter, so it’s a new thing for my black thumb to figure out. I thought it would be a good training for my next grow, where I plan on using promix or something similar. I didn’t plan on using it in place of my rapid rooters, though, so my germination game has taken a hit. :grinning:

Last night, I put the 3 pods into 6" peat pots of light warrior, moistened with h20/voodoo/b52. The diesel seedling already looks better, but I think she’s gonna be a bit gimpy. There are clear domes on each pot. I plan on misting the domes a couple times daily, and will give the grow medium sips of h20, as needed. The light is 24" away from tops. No fan going, yet, but there’s plenty of ventilation while they’re domed. Temps ranging between 64/85 night/day.

Here it is, today. I had pulled off the seed membrane on Monday. By Tuesday day, the one starter leaf was sick looking & droopy. Today, it looks like it’s dying off, but the other starter leaf & the first leaves seem ok.

2 Likes

@Myfriendis410 What do you think happened to this tyke? Think underwatering? Overwatering? Damage during birth? Think she’ll be ok? I’ve lost cotyledons before, even on autos, and had no issues, but I’ve never had one rot off. Should I remove it or not tempt fate?

3 Likes

Wow! No idea! If you are using your normal seedling practices I probably wouldn’t deviate from that.

3 Likes

I’m not using my usual germination method. :slightly_frowning_face: I usually use rapid rooters, but I forgot them, so I made pods out of paper towels & light warrior.

3 Likes

That should still be good. The same techniques apply.

3 Likes

So this particular weird cotyledon isn’t something I should worry about? That yellowing weird leaf is my only concern, so far. Otherwise, all’s well! :grinning:

1 Like

Here are the 2 finalists for grow site. Both are located within a half mile of each other, one is more tundra & open sky, but does have lots of bear scat located on the game trails; the other is located on the side of a hill, surrounded by trees & crunchy lichen, with lots of rabbit droppings in the area. Both spots are about 100+ft from the dirt access road, so I think smell-wise, all would be ok; you also cannot see the spots from any angle on the road.

Many of the spruce trees w/in about a 50 mile radius are infected by a blight. Hoping that blight doesn’t like cannabis, b/c every possible grow spot has some infected trees in the area.

My 3rd spot I need to drive to. It’s a drive waaaay up the hill, then a hike up another hill. There’s not much in the way of trees around that area, but it is more open to the elements, closer to where tourists might dare to trek, and would be harder for me to check on regularly. However, it’s safely away from my job site, whereas the other 2 are just outside the main camp.

If you were me, which one would you lean towards & why? Which would you avoid like the plague?

6 Likes

I can’t really answer that but for me. I would choose rabbits over bears :grin: I would also do what is a little easier on me. They both sound isolated. I would think that the harder it is to get to. The more it will seem like work and the less I would enjoy growing it. just my 02

4 Likes

I like either location, but I like the wider view of the horizon. @blackthumbbetty

3 Likes

@Myfriendis410 I’m liking that one, too. I can use those trees to tack up some netting.

2 Likes

Exactly! Though, to be honest, it’s hard to get to our general area, but once here, it’s actually easy to get to both sites pictured, but not so easy that my bosses/coworkers would ever think to go down those trails.

I am surrounded by wilderness, but still can’t just grow wherever, b/c we’re all outdoor lovers & enjoy exploring the mine site. It’s been so frustrating, b/c there are so many perfect spots around here, but I can’t use them b/c of people.

3 Likes