Organic with the Hippie

I drew you up a little sketch of how we set up our drip system this year. We only use it while we are away. Hopefully this kinda helps you out alittle on the overall idea. :slight_smile:
~There is a large fresh water holding tank at the end of our garden. This is adjusted to a PH of 6.5 and is our water source between weekly feedings. Gravity fed.
Drip system!
~Garden hose from the water source to the timer in the garden. Make sure to always include a pressure reducer.
~From here we ran black drip line all the way around the exterior of the plants. Off the ground.
~We fully connected the black drip line hose back to it self with a T. This gave us ‘way’ more pressure.
~At each plant we punctured the black drip line hose and connected the ‘smaller flexible’ hose. (This can all be found in the same section at your local hardware store.) This smaller hose wrapped almost all the way around the exterior of the stalk.
~The small black hose is where the small drippers are. We used 3 all at 1 gal/hr. (two inline drippers and one end dripper)

4 Likes

Thank you @anon86641082 for taking the time to show me your setup!
I’m wondering if I can use a manifold on the inlet side and run individual lines to each plant instead of running in series with quick disconnects at each plant so I could still remove the plants for training and pruning
Scratch that (thinking out loud lol)
Does the drip around the plant sit on the soil and can be removed by lifting off? Then I wouldn’t have to run parallel hoses

2 Likes

The drippers around the plants sit off the soil. I made little loops out of some wire and stuck it in the dirt . allowing the drip line to be slightly raised. My plants wont move tell harvest but ‘technically’ one could lift the drippers off and simply move the entire plant.
@MidwestGuy If you have any pointers for me It would be greatly appreciated :wink:
Happy growing…

3 Likes

Pretty sweet looking setup, @anon86641082. Looks like you’ve got things under control just fine.

3 Likes

Thanx man! I’m always looking for ways to improve. I learn a bit each and every day. This group has been amazing.

3 Likes

@Dwiper This journle might have some good info for you. Hit the @ sign than type my name in your grow thread. Excited to follow along.
Happy growing…

1 Like

Happy 4th everyone! I hope you all are having a fun, safe and belly filling weekend. Here’s a few photos from the garden. How many tops can you count?
It’s interesting to me to watch so many of the same strain grow in close proximity to one another. You can surely tell some hold stronger traits than others. Each one grows just alittle different. To celebrate the 4th I will be… wait for it… wait for it… giving them all freshly brewed tea this evening :slight_smile:
Happy growing…

10 Likes

Nice looking garden

4 Likes

Wow dude! Looking fantastic. I want mine to look like that and hopefully in time they will be. Thanks for sharing brother.

4 Likes

Looking awesome. I thought I seen a post of yours about using some soil beneath a old pine for your brews.
Do you incorporate that humus into your living soil as well ? Love to have your recipe

2 Likes

The humus is one of the key ingredients to my tea recipe. Once I figured this out the plants seem to explode. I don’t much like an everyday feeding schedule as I think this is ‘way’ to much. We stick to once a week. I try to start the brew on Thursday and let it brew tell the weekend. This is adds plenty of beneficial life to the soil.

7 Likes

Do you make your own soil ? Example coco worm castings perlite compost ?
Those plants are Beautiful

2 Likes

A local company, Best in the West Organic Products, has a house blend that I like to start with. It’s 100% organic and has a wonderful consistency with good drainage. I get about 3 truck loads and unload it at the house. At this point I will add in alittle Happy Frog Soil Conditioner. Not quite Organic per say but adds some of the good stuff I’m looking for.
I like to do this around April. This way I can use some of the soil for the seed/clones.
I try and fill the grow bags around the fend of April. (The plants wont go in tell the end of May.) This is when I start to brew the teas. Kinda funny that I brew teas with no plants in the ground. I try and water the dirt at least 4/5 times with freshly brewed mixture. Yes I water the dirt in between just as a plant was there. In my perspective this allows the soil to obtain a very healthy amount of microbes ect.
Once the plants go in I only feed them on the weekend. Increasing a few things when they flip into flower such as the molasses and bat guano. I guess the more I think about it I kinda tend to the plants Mon-Fri and the soil Sat & Sunday.

• Worm castings (large tea bag)
  • Natural humus (Large tea bag) This is key!
  • Fish/ Crab hydrolysate
  • Liquid bat guano
  • Bio live
  • Molasses unsulphured.
  • Cal-Mag (not quit organic but beneficial.)
4 Likes

Thanks for sharing
Like I said Beautiful I just now am reading this thread. Your sharing this grow is very appreciate. Thanks
Love growing organic

2 Likes

Have you ever gave a thought to using a
Cover crop like
White clover ? Supposed to be a nitrogen fixator. Only thing is if you top dress it tends to thin it out

1 Like

Yes and no! I like the idea and concept behind it. Helps with soil and also evaporation of water.
The turning point for me was the extra hiding spots for pets. We live in the high desert and have a huge rabbit population. Any extra greenery in the garden will bring them in and they will start champin. I just cant chance it :wink:
I have also found using mulches and straw tends to bring in the birds. It is also a great breeding ground for ‘unwanted’ creepy crawlers.

2 Likes

Yes I can imagine it could cause some problems.
Well I’m going to start me a tea with my fresh humus and bat guano and maybe some kelp meal or alfalfa pellets. Going into my 4 week of flower. Thanks again
:blush:

1 Like

One more thing I think you were asking about Molasses
I tend to add mine closer to the end of brew.

1 Like

@PurpNGold74 I have noticed over the past few months that you know your stuff. Am I doing anything wrong in my grow that you notice right away? Anything I could do better? Looking foreword to your advice.
Happy growing…

3 Likes

Thanks for the poke. Getting ready for work. Ill catch up and leave a few notes in a bit

My my my… im in love with your whole approach! I got nothing to add here except a few bits on phenotype but its safe to say im watching and expecting some monster trees! Have u ever seen @Big123 ’s grow? Urs has his whole vibes going on (and TREES!!!)

Back to phenotypes. The Purple Dream is GDP x BD correct? That means ull get those fat leaved phenos (the granddaddy leaners) thatll be closer to the indica leaning smoke and some thin leaved phenos (blue dream leaners) thatll smoke more sativa like. Both should smell DELICIOUS as they both carry fruity berry purply terps. Amazing cross that im surprised isnt more popular nor that ive thought about. Genius!

And on the teas, knowing the NPK of ur amendments is very important. They make veg guanos and bloom guanos. Dont wanna get caught mixing high N supplements midway thru flower and frying your leaves.

Like someone said above… calmag isnt the best organic supplement for calcium nor magnesium. I believe epsom salts are the way mag wise. And have yet to find a good calcium booster so i use a dab of calmag as well. Just know its not super microbe friendly. I believe u can boil bones and pour the broth (eggshells may work, just strain and use the broth). Gypsum is also a good organic calcium supplement. And Silica as well

6 Likes