NJ Outdoor Year 1

No kidding. I woke up to snow yesterday. My outdoor plants are waiting in the sunroom to get some fresh air. Ugh, c’mon summer!

@Drinkslinger I put them out this morning at 6am to a brisk 40 degrees, was watching the temp closely all morning, shot up to mid 50s by 8:30! Just glad were going to be dry for the next foreseeable future!

From this morning after a sprinkle, going to top this one tonight!

2 Likes

We had 3 soild days of sunshine and recovery from 3 soild days of living in the garage and its top and trim day…wish me luck!

1 Like

Back up plan is already in the works, and supplies arrived today! 5 seeds just started popping taproots yesterday, and I have 5 smart pots with some nice soil to put round 2 in!

I cried a little when I trimmed and topped…kept having to remind myself…no risk…no reward…

I’ve never drastically topped and trimmed a plant that much.

That 3 way probe is next to useless for pH. It will let you know the moisture content around your roots though.

You can try cloning the “top” of the plant you chopped.

Try FIM’ing, less loss.

A method I read about for training the plant suggested that your first trim be drastic, to allow focus only 2 growth nodes at the top

I’m not saying she won’t spring back.
I just never go that far. But hey, there’s plenty of growing techniques I haven’t tried. I just let them do what they want and gently coax them into what I want.

No risk no reward! :grin:

I may have been a bit less drastic if I didn’t already have 5 more seeds germinating…but I figure this will be a good test run for applying this method before I have plants in good soil and pots.

1 Like

Also, it’s only bagseed!

It will do fine. I feel a better method if you want 4 branches would be to just pinch the top and get rid of the under branches. But either way, you are good! The plant will come back with a vengeance.

I’ve been having anxiety about doing this for the last day, glad it’s over with, excited to see the results!

So it’s been a while since my last update on my grow! Toward the end of may I had an unfortunate deer chomping incident, my pool yard was invaded and they ate everything. I had 2 plants survive the chomp, and had 3 more that I panic popped around the same time.

I’m happy to report that re-potting in grow bags with premium soil has been the best move I could have made, as well as, the new location on my deck!

2 Likes

1 Like

Those pictures were taken today, July 12.

This picture was taken July 5th:

This is the runt. She is part of my second round of plants, but had a slow go from sprout…good to see tho she has started taking off in the last week or so!

This one got cleaned off by deer and has bounced back really well with 2 solid colas, considering the damage that was done…this was part of the first round of plants…

The plant on the far left is one I only topped once, and very late, so I’m just letting it go without any more real training or topping…the one on the far right I topped early and trimmed for 4 solid colas. Both of those plants are part of the second round of plants.

The big one in the middle is the second one that got cleaned off by deer. It bounced back with 4 fabulous colas and right now is the best looking one of the bunch!

Here is a top down of the spread of these…