New seed day! Time to start the winter grow

Low peofile bags are becoming very common in large grows. The old school idea was to have the soil as wide as the plant. Wider grow bag = wide/largwr plant. I think this would be a way bettwr choice for a scrog style grow.
This is a photo of some large low peofile grow bags. I know you are onlynlooking at 15s rather than 200 but I wantes to show you that you may be on the correct path.
Those drip lines were a back breaker :wink:
Happy growing and stay legal :wink:

5 Likes

Topping and scroging can keep the height down and don’t veg them too long. Genetics can make a big difference too though, sativa-dom strains are generally just going to be taller.

I’ve used shallow big pots in the past, was not a problem.

15 gal is pretty big, 10 gal would be fine. I’ve grown plants that yielded 14-16 oz in a 10 gal.

Like this one, 14 oz in a 10 gal pot.

6 Likes

@anon86641082 those are the exact kind of bags I’m talking about. How deep are they?

Thanks for the encouraging replies.

2 Likes

Im not 100% sure. I will mesure the depth of one tomorrow.

These look about right if not a little higher than I need. They are 12” depth.

2 Likes

@anon86641082 with those big soil bags you guys aren’t raising them up off the ground any are you? I keep going back-and-forth on whether that is useful or not. I read opinions they go both ways, no real facts, and just my own anecdotal evidence – so basically I got nothing

2 Likes

We aren’t raising them off the ground at all. I feel there is no point to it. Grow bags get a ‘ton’ of air absorption threw the side walls and bottom. Also keeping them on the ground may allow for a little slower moisture evaporation due to slightly cooler temps in the hot months.

I have also herd of some people cutting a large ‘X’ in the bottom of each grow bag before setting them on the ground. In hopes of the roots using up the grow bag soil and making there way into the ground. I don’t much like this method as I fee l like it’s not the cleanest.

We are very behind getting this farm up and running. Only 4 1/2 of 10 green houses have grow bags in them. Only 3 of those green houses have irrigation. It’s going be a long couple of weeks. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Happy growing…

2 Likes

Great set up. Is this for CBD or THC?

1 Like

I have been reading about this exact thing on another growers journal on Instagram. He’s able to grow a massive plant out of a very very short skinny pot that I believe yielded just over a pound! I can’t remember the guys name or anything but I think that’s an old myth about the pot having to be as wide as the plant as he is clearly shown that the pot has nothing to do with it but it’s just how healthy the roots are to support such a big growth process. I like the idea and I think that you’re definitely onto something. I have also seen many indoor grows with about 6 inch little grow boxes with tons of plants planted in them and they seem to be growing just fine and they’re very big plants. . I like the idea and I think that you’re definitely onto something. I have also seen many indoor grows with about 6 inch little grow boxes with tons of plants planted in them and they seem to be growing just fine and they’re very big plants :seedling: This is going to be interesting to watch what happens here and you know me I will definitely be staying tune to it. Thanks for tagging me bro I appreciate it and you already know I’m a sponge for information and definitely want to learn all I can! Let’s see where this goes?!

1 Like

More root growth = larger plants. Once they get root bound, it may take awhile, they will slowing kill themself alittle but at a time.
Dont get me wrong you can grow some large plants in small containers. Why not grow a huge plant in a huge container.
I guess growing up around the Humbolt area makes me think alittle different. Im aiming for a Red Wood. Not a mountain fern :wink: lol
Happy growing everyone…

1 Like

I guess my main question is how shallow is too shallow? If I can get away with 10” I think I’d go for that (she said smiling)

1 Like

I’m with you @anon86641082 about the Red Woods🌱 and I think 10” is more than sufficient @Deez
I just dropped a Sour Stomper seed from my neighbors stash yesterday. It’s an auto and I think it’s my last outdoor one for the year. I also went to the GrowGeneration store and looked at lights and decided to get a 5 x 5 area coverage light for my indoor during winter. I think you guys have made me want to grow all year round so I’m doing just that so thanks for the inspiration fellas!:man_dancing:

2 Likes