New seed day! Time to start the winter grow

Well I did it. I turned the ballast down to 50%. The Maui is fox tailing like crazy I know it’s really close to done. So is the Sour D. This is like a harvest next week kind of timing it seems. Less light for a week won’t hurt anything that bad. At this point things are just maturing anyway.

1 Like

Maui continues to foxtail but man it’s just about doubled in size since last week.

Silver haze is mostly done drying and currently in paper bags sweating to the oldies for a few days before final trim and jar. First smoke report is in - it’s fire :fire:

2 Likes

@fast-grow @Covertgrower @KeystoneCops

I’ve got some foxtailing happening on my Maui - it’s at 10 weeks right now and not showing signs of hardly any amber trichomes and not even 100% cloudy yet. I’ve never really had to deal with foxtailing and I’m wondering if this has anything to do with why the trichomes are slow to mature.

This is my second grow with this strain, this grow is cloned off my last grow and the last one was about 9 weeks of flowering until it was like 30% amber. This one seems to not want to ripen up… is the foxtailing to blame?

I think it’s a genetic trait for both.

2 Likes

Are all the environmental factor identical between both grows?

Different Soil this go around. Really just a different mix though - both organic super soil both times.,

Also last go around I was inadvertently running my HPS light at 75% the entire time. This time I ran at 100% and experienced some light bleaching issues and just last week backed it down to 50% when the foxtailing started on the Maui.

1 Like

I noticed that you added Roots Organics Bloom back in May, is that correct? Was that a change? All we can do is identify variables. This is a phenotypical expression brought on by something acting on the plant, IMO. Can we think of any other variations? Sometimes these things are interdependent.

This may be obvious, but have you checked to make sure your timer is working properly and your light cycle is correct?

You are correct the uprising bloom dry amendment as well as earthworm castings. It the whole soil plan and associated feeding schedule was a change this run and it made a huge difference in the amount of flower each plant produced. So yes that’s a big change from last time.

I follow your point though. There’s enough variables that’s changed since the last grow with this strain that I should expect some Different results.

I’ve been focused more on the things that happened during this crop that I’ve never dealt with before such as light bleaching and foxtailing and I wasn’t thinking nearly as much about the deliberate changes I made to the soil. Thanks for the perspective

1 Like

For my own notes this is day 67 of flowering for the Maui and Sour D.

Sour D is getting closer and closer. It’s all cloudy trichs at this point with a few amber. This is just about the most beautiful looking herb I’ve ever grown right now and last go around it was also the heaviest hitter of the trio.

2 Likes

Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner, between work and trim jail for the past 2 weeks I haven’t posted much.
Foxtailing can hide your trichomes as the new growth covers them up with fresh calyxes and trichs. that are young and new. I have 4 Black widow in my tent and one is a mother and the other 3are clones. 2 of them are foxtailing heavy. One is what I call severe. When I have foxtailing hiding my aging triches. I usually use the recommended time plus a week or 2 and just chop them anyways. My foxtailing plants are the 2 that I flipped to 12/12 -2 weeks later than the others and also are the ones directly under my light. 3out of 4 Northern lights autos foxtailed on me and now the Black widow clones have done it. Lights, genetics,. really doesn’t matter why they do it. Just go by time on the harvest and you will be good,

1 Like

Well I chopped the Maui a week or so ago and moved it from the drying lines to a paper bag to get ready for jars.

Chopped the Sour D tonight and it looks like that’s gonna be about an HP oF monster buds. They’re friggen beasts.

Busy and tired tonight so didn’t take any harvest pics but the chop-day smoke report is finishing its stint in the convection oven right now. I usually do 170 in the convection oven for an hour or two til it’s dry enough to smoke. Can’t do all that work with no reward!!

1 Like

Sour d sample after a quick dry. gonna taste grassy af but that funk is in there

3 Likes

Well i pulled a bud off the drying rack a bit soon and tried it… its damn good. I’m happy. Just needs some time to dry and cure and its gonna be nice.

I did try a little experiment and did not water one plant for 3 days before harvest while keeping the other one watered as ususal (plain water).

The one that was starved for water is significantly further along in the drying process at this point. Should not be a surprise. On the other hand it was a total pain in the ass to trim the water starved one. The fan leaves were all limp and curled up and the flower was droopy and more difficult to handle without damaging it. I would not do the water starving thing again - the bit of time it saves in drying is not worth the extra hassle in processing.

@Dee23 heres my recent indoor

Maui trimmed and jarred. It’s a little over a QP. I’m ok with this from one plant in a 7gallon container.

Silver haze came out to just shy of a QP as well (3.5oz). All that’s left is final trim and jars for the Sour D. There is likely about 6oz of that I’d bet.

That’s gonna make it about 14oz for the whole 3x5 tent. That’s a big improvement over the previous run with the same gear.

This is not taking into account the kilo or so of fresh frozen trim and smaller buds that I’ll be dry ice hashing next weekend. I’m expecting another 2-3 oz of Kief from that. Man if I wind up with a QP of Kief I’ll be over the moon.

4 Likes

Wait, what?
You are getting roughly a qp per plant?
Well done… are you a wizard?

Oh that’s Nice of you to say but that’s hardly wizardry. There’s plenty of guys who pull twice that or more off a single plant indoors.

I grew five plants in this most recent round. Two silver haze, one Maui Wowie, and two sour diesel. The two SH came in about equal in weight to the one Maui when you factor in the less tasty buds that are in the freezer waiting to be hashed. I feel like the Silver haze could have yielded as much per plant as the Maui if it wasn’t crowded in the tent. The two SH were pushing up against the tent walls and each other and if they’d had the space to bush out each would have yielded better. Same can likely be said for the Sour D but they were simply bigger plants but that’s why I’m probably only getting 50% more from the two Sour D than the one silver haze. Both plants were very similar in stature but the Maui had more space to use and it used it. The Sour D similar to the SH were pushing up against the tent walls and each other and I’ll bet if they had the space the Maui did I’d be getting the same weight from each of them as I did the Maui. So due to crowding I figure I lost out on some Weight - could have pulled down 8oz of Sour D but I expect it’s gonna be more like 6. Don’t get me wrong I’m not complaining!!

All I’m really thinking here is that my thought for the next indoor this winter is to do only 2-3 plants, 10 gallon pots, and they’ll have the room to bush out more. My ideal is to pull 1lb from this tent each harvest and I’m getting there. It does tell me though that I should have bought a 600w HPS instead of 1000w since I doubt I’ll ever pull a kilo out of a 3x5 space and I’m sure I could pull a pound with 600w just as wel as with 1000w and I’d be right close to that good old 1g/watt standard. I know that’s old school to talk like that now that LED is the cats pajamas but I still use that old yardstick to measure my success.

Jeez can ya tell I just smoked a bunch of that Maui???

2 Likes

You killed it on this one brother! I think I’m going to have to do a winter indoor grow…

:partying_face: right on right on

1 Like

@TRF @Hellraiser @shindig153 @anon86641082 @oldmarine @latewood

I’m sure I’m forgetting others but that’s a start.

I’m planning for the fall grow (taking clones in a week or so). The hope is to have everything chopped and dried enough to give some Christmas gifts.

Here’s the idea - and it’s open to suggestion or I wouldn’t be asking:

Keep the 1000w DE HID for this grow and scrog it to try and keep the canopy low enough not to get torched. Ideally I’d love to keep it legal and just do two plants in my 3x5 tent.

Id like to give those two plants each 10-15 gallons of organic super soil but keep the height down. I’ve noticed the big daddys like Cervantes grow in containers that are short but wide and I’m thinking I can try this as a tactic to reduce my height. The idea is rather than a typical grow bag that’s around 18” high go with a container more like 8-10” but make the footprint large enough to hold 2cu ft.

I’ve never experimented with shallow root systems like this. I know it won’t not work but I’m shooting for a half lb per plant. I know I can get it in a standard 10 gallon bag but it’s the shape that’s worrying me.

Any thoughts?

3 Likes