New Grower are my Babies ok

First grow, probably just being a bit overly concerned. I am running an HLG 350R and starting with ILGM GDP seeds, not really sure what dimmer setting I should have it on. I was running it on dimmer setting 2 but just cranked it down between 1 and 2. Wish I had a PAR meter but that is a bit out of my budget at the moment.

One of the seedlings the Cotyledons are turning down, not really sure what that points to. The other is bent over entirely and has a brown mark on the tip. Not sure if that is normal or not as this one was the last to break the surface. First 2 pictures are from Day 4 and they are just breaking the surface. The rest are from just now Day 5.

Please let me know if I am just being overly concerned.

7 Likes

HLG publishes spherical test data and should be possible for you to find and use to determine PAR. HLG is one of the few that provides reliable test data. Frankly, any quality meter will set you back over $400 for this application.

Sprouts are fine, be careful of over watering with those cubes. That can retard the seedling. For future reference I take a small rockwool cube, dip it in nutes then wring out to fairly damp before dropping seed or sprout in. A dome is your friend: clear Solo cup works well and you can simply mist the lid with distilled water once or twice a day until established.

BTW: welcome to the best grow forum on the interweb. If you need to get someones’ attention, use the @ sign in front of their handle like this… @PurpNGold74 . Tag, Purp haha!

7 Likes

@purpngold74 @Myfriendis410

I was watching a video from MIGRO on youtube posting the differences from spherical PAR meters and how they differ a bit on PPFD with enclosures. Still trying to learn as much as I can, so a bit of a nube. Thanks for replying and I look forward to learning this amazing hobby.

4 Likes

Welcome to your new happy place :blush:
Your girls will look wonky at first. then they will grow up and the best is yet to come.

3 Likes

Bahahaha. Tag monster strikes again :rofl:

Welcome to the forum @Jojo_Brown. Best of luck with the new lil funky ladies. And hope to see you around. Feel free to tag away.

4 Likes

Good looking sprouts.

I always get at least one or two thats 'tarded.

1 Like

So far I have not used any nutrients. Pretty much just RODI water with a ph of 5.86. I read that after the first week I shuld start to harden them off to humidity and start to give them some nutrients. Right now all I have and plan on using is Jacks RO mix 12-4-16. I was thinking of starting out at 1/4 strength for week 2 shooting for an ec arpund .5-.6. Does that sound right @Myfriendis410 .

2 Likes

Welcome @Jojo_Brown good luck and there many great growers on here with great advice just tag with @ before the person you want. Happy growing good start.

2 Likes

I don’t run that mix but using Jack’s 3-2-1 program I’m at full strength from the git-go. 1.8 EC or around 900 ppm.

1 Like

So, this is interesting because I just ordered the same light that will be here tomorrow. I’ve never used an led before, so I was looking for the same information. I found this on the internet pertaining to using this exact light, and I’m going to follow it to start with, and see how it goes. Sounds reasonable.

@PurpNGold74 @Myfriendis410

So girls are looking a little worse today. First 3 pics are from their morning and second 3 pics are 6hrs into their 18/6 schedule. Going to try to gently sling out some of the water from one of the Oasis cubes and see if that makes a difference.

Also thanks for sharing that lighting setting schedule. @Dexterado

3 Likes

No problem. They don’t look to bad to me.

2 Likes

Damp is your key word. If cubes are wet it will damp off the sprouts. Are you doming?

I would also be running lights 24/0 until transplanted. This will maintain constant temps in the grow space.

2 Likes

@Myfriendis410

So for my setup, I am running a dome and a temp controlled heat mat. Originally had the mat set up for 80 until I saw them poke out from the Oasis cubes then turned it down to 76. I have only watered once since the original soak. I put around a 1/4 cup in the bottom of the tray and the cubes soaked up some.

No new leaf development today. There seems to have been some elongation over night. Its most likely just normal but I did move the light a bit closer to the dome, it is around 16in above the plants now.

1 Like

Good call moving lights down. There’s likely stuff going on inside the cube but try to keep cube slightly damp only. Keep lights on 24/0 and wait and see.

Day 10 update. The elongation seems to have stopped. Still no new leaves and the Cotyledons are still furled down but I am less concerned with that now. I do have one that for whatever reason whenever I go in to look at it has a drop of waters on its leaves. I have moved it several times thinking the dome was just dropping condensed humidity on it or something but that does not seem to be the case. It appears to actually be coming from the stem somehow.

1 Like

Not sure what phone you have but a lot of us are using the Photone app to measure ppfd and dli for light intensity. With iPhone you will need a paper diffuser. Android you don’t. If you choose to download it and use it. Make sure you set it to the sunlight setting :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

1 Like

@Jojo_Brown I have that same light and it does great. I use it in a 2x4 tent with 3 plants. It is a great full cycle veg/flower light. When I start up off with seedlings I typically keep the light 24” off the seedling and on roughly 20% on the power setting. Definitely want to run it 24/0 for the first few days. I use a small humidifier set at 60% in lieu of watering for the first week. Your seedlings look good watch that watering just as many folks have already advised. They don’t need much water at all for the first couple weeks, I typically use a tablespoon to water with for the first few weeks. Welcome to the forum, you will find all the help you need right here. My first grow was done from the advice found here and it turned out great, produced just shy of 350 grams. Patience is a virtue when it comes to growing these things!!

1 Like

Pic update. Not much to report. I do see a lot of people naming their plants, trying to come up with 2 good ones. The larger of the 2 first 2 leaves are bowed from the center out and are most definitely growing. The water droplets from stem on the smaller one seem to have stopped. Also just switched to 24hr lighting, When is a good time to switch back to 18/6?

1 Like