New Grower are my Babies ok

Once those first true leaves are open and established i go to 18/6.

And Im not a plant namer. Makes it all the more bitter sweet on harvest day. After months of tending and loving on them its already hard enough to say goodbye. Lol

2 Likes

Quick update. I stepped away last weekend for 3 days and the water ran out in the propagation dome. The Horticubes were pretty much completely dry and the tips of the leaves were brown. Fast forward to last Thursday and I have moved them into the Hydroponics system. Ph is at 5.8, EC is 2.0. I had one that was really slow that seems to be making some headway finally now that its in the nutrient’s. Pretty much raised the bottom of the nutrients up until it touches the bottom of the hydroton. The larger plant had some roots coming out of the Horticube but the smaller one did not. I have also been top feeding the larger plant as its cube looked to be very dry compared to the smaller one that always seemed moist.

The brown tips have not recovered. However all the new growth since my trip has been green and healthy. Not sure on if I should cut off the dead tips or not. I have also been slowly cutting back on the humidity, it was at 85%ish in the propagation dome. I have been aiming for .80-.90 VPD and plan on transitioning to .9-1 VPD over the course of this week.

As always any advice or input is welcome.

1 Like

I wouldnt remove them just yet, but they seem to be recovering nicely. Well done

One more update. I should probably move this into another form as I do not think it counts as a seedling any more.

All seems to be well. Growth at this stage is really so much faster, I was a bit concerned there starting out but I think overwatering my cubes really set me back the first 15days. May try rapid rooters next run.

Is there any issue with the leaves drooping down? I assume its just the leave being bigger than its support structure can handle at this stage but I really don’t know much.

Looks like they maybe getting a bit thirsty. Is this a DWC grow? If so, how are your roots/water looking?

Yes it is a RDWC system (PA Hydro Fallponics). Just so I can understand the signs, what are you looking for? They have around 1/2-3/4in of hydroton on the bottom with the cubes sitting on top. I raised the water level to the bottom of the nets and with the air stone they rocks get quite wet at the moment. The plant with the wider leaves gets the least amount of water and its cube is dry sometimes. I take around 3-4mil and top feed it semi regularly. I did notice that the plant with the wider leaves had the fan blowing the humidifier mist close to it and attributed the extra humidity as the cause of the wide leaves.

Side note if any one is looking for a temp/humidity controller stay away from AC Infinity Controller 76. It will randomly not shut off once the thresh hold is exceeded and has caused my humidity at times to go to over 90%. I am also running their type 67 controller and its amazing the built in recording monitor with VPD is just cool. I have it set up so that if the temp or humidity high threshold is exceeded the fan ramps up. I had the type 76 turning on a small 1gal ultrasonic humidifier once its low threshold was triggered to keep humidity where I wanted it.

I ordered an Inkbird IHC-200 wifi to replace the type 76 controller and will report back when it gets in tom.

2 Likes

This is possibly the problem. I believe there is supposed to be an airgap between the rockwool and water. Im no hydro guru but keeping the rockwool wet constantly sounds like a recipe for issues.

Lets get some guys who know the game a bit better on here. @Myfriendis410 @Covertgrower @peachfuzz @repins12

4 Likes

Good catch: water level should be 1 1/2 to 2" below net pot and air bubbles will wet the bottom surface of hydroton. Rockwool should never remain wet. If roots haven’t reach nutrient solution yet you normally top feed until they do.

4 Likes

Thanks for the confirmation. Looks like ive learned a little bit bout a little bit lol

3 Likes

I would second that. Minimum 1-2" below net pots for water level. I never top feed :v:t4:

3 Likes

I was planning on running it like that once the plants roots were out of the nets. This is my first grow so just trying to figure it all out, unfortunately I have read conflicting things about starting them. But the guy who sells my hydro kit recommended to run the level touching the nets until the roots poked out so its what I did. Right now only one has roots poking out and they are just barley out there. Plan on doing a nutrient change tomorrow, its been a bit over a week now and I will drop it then and just top feed if they need it. EC and PH have been rock solid but I guess that is to be expected at this point as they are not drinking much.

I have been running HOCL and adding an extra 6ml in a 15 Gal system every 2 days. Started out with 15ml of UCRoots Clearline as per the instructions. Thinking about getting a ORP meter so I can measure and keep it at (300-400mv) and add the correct amounts as I plan on keeping it all sterile and do not have the money or space for a chiller at the moment.

1 Like

I have the Inkbird. Works great, once i figured out the plugs. #1 is always humidifier. :crazy_face: