Making feminized auto seeds

Hi there,

When would you advise starting to spray the female you would like to reverse?

Would it be an idea to plant the lady you want to reverse 2 weeks prior to sowing the rest of the stock? Or any other recommendations in this regard?

Regards

Vicks

1 Like

@Vicks
Hey there it depends if you are growing a Auto flower or a Photo.
I spray a photo plant a week before I switch to 12/12.
Autos on the other hand I spray at the first sign of flower (white hairs)
If you are timing out your other plants for pollination I would start your other seeds three weeks later.
I have just found out now that using silver thiosulfate solution, I can get away with crossing one branch and get lots of pollen and have successfully made S1 seeds (self pollinated) on my Auto flower.
If you get some silica packs (I got mine from a shoe store I just asked if they could save me a few) you can save the pollen in an old air tight pill bottle and store it in the fridge for months.
Make sure you take it out of the fridge a few hours before you plan to use it. Do not open the container until it has sat out at room temperature for that time or the cold pollen and container will condensate and moisture is pollens worst enemy. I usually go to the dollar store and get the cheap water color paint brushes and snap the handle off so it fits in the pollen container. it’s handy and there is no brush laying around with pollen on it to accidently pollenate one of your other girls.
I sure hope this helps.
Don’t hesitate to ask any other questions.
Good luck! :metal:

3 Likes

Are my plants to far along to start

2 Likes

They look like they’re about ready to spray.
Are they auto flower or photo?
Are you using C/S or STS?

2 Likes

Those look about the age I started spraying mine. I bought 240ppm Colloidal Silver from Amazon and have sprayed the donor OG Kush Auto plant for 24 days, twice daily. My donor plant looks sort of sickly but it is very much alive and producing clusters of purple tinted pollen sacs at every bud site. I drench the whole plant with spray. New here so I will "attempt to load a photo.

First photo is the tent and all six plants started from seed on 29 December 2021. Next photo is one bud site and what I hope are clusters of pollen sacs!! The plant in the lower right corner of the tent is the donor. I’m gonna pollinate all 5 of the other ladies!

3 Likes

Welcome @Neal! Good to have you here. When you spray the colloidal silver, do you pull the plants out of the light and let the spray dry before sticking under the lights? I’m new to all of this, so this is for my future feminizing planning endeavors.

Thank you!! I pull the plant out of the light to spray it and carefully put it right back in the tent so as not to contaminate the other plants. Doesn’t seem to cause any problems. This is my first attempt too and I almost quit a couple times for what appeared to be lack of progress and it looked like I was really harming the plant but I figured I’d just ride it out. Happy now I did!! My last hobby was making wine until I wound up with just shy of 400 bottles in racks in my basement. Hoping my cannabis experiments produce as well!!

1 Like

Haha, that’s the way I hobby too!

You’re a shoe-in for canna growing, lol. How long have you been growing? Maybe you’re already experiencing the wild ride that happens when you’re dialing in your grow set-up. I went from “I’ll just throw a few seeds in this ‘ol soil and keep them in the back room, hon” to building out the garage, adding a Covert Shed out back, thinking of turning my shop into a grow space or maybe buying another house… :man_facepalming:t3: :thought_balloon: :thought_balloon:

1 Like

I’ve been putzing around growing bag seed for about 5 years. Started outside. I’d start seeds in plastic cups and transplant into the ground. After that they were on their own unless the ground got too dry and I’d dump a bucket of tap water on them occasionally. I bought some Blueberry Autos from ILGM and really enjoyed tending them so I bought a tent and all the associated hardware and set up shop in my abandoned basement hobby winery. I successfully finished the Blueberry in the tent along with a couple Super Skunk clones I clipped while the mother was far into flower. Since then I have grown OG Kush and Gorilla glue autos in there. I just grow for my own limited use and for relaxation educating myself in cannabis horticulture on-line.

3 Likes

Nice :+1:t3:! You’ve some experience for sure. I have 5 ILGM Blueberry Auto beans starting to pop necks and cotyledons. I’ll tag you to that journal, and ask you some questions :smiley: about your Blueberry :blueberries: experience, should you accept the mission :joy:

1 Like

Notta problem. I’ve been looking at photos of auto plants that have been sprayed with Colloidal silver. I’m pretty sure my ppm was far too strong. My plant looks stressed compared to photos I’m seeing unless different strains respond to the treatment differently. Next time I’m using 50 ppm.

1 Like

@darkillusion3526 Can you help @Neal out here by chance? Post 64 & 71. Thanks mate!

1 Like

@Arborholic I will try to give what information I can.
@Neal Are you going by any instructions when applying the colloidal silver? I have not used that I am a STS kinda guy plus the chem only run me $8. Anyways, It looks like you have some chem burn going on from the CS next time might want to cut back on dosage. But hey your getting pollen thats all that matters. I know I am gearing up to do a Sour diesel auto X blueberry auto Fem hybrid.

2 Likes

Thanks @darkillusion3526 for helping out. I kinda sidetracked their questions here, so I wanted to help get it back on track. If you know anyone else who could chime in, please tag them. I’ll be searching this journal when I attempt propagating and feminizing :blush:

2 Likes

@Neal
Your C/S may be a little strong but you are too far in to turn back now. the good news is you got pollen sacs.
On your next reversal you could mix some C/S and some distilled water 50/50 that would bring you down to 120 ppm.
I’m not sure what your plans are for the seeds but I have had plants that produced over 1000 seeds.
Unless you are selling them or growing fields of plants there is no need to pollenate all your plants.
If you got over 4000 seeds you alone would never grow out that many and you would get tired of the strain.
My advise to you would be to take 1 plant and hit it good with pollen. As you get better at reversing plants you start to realize than you can make seeds when you need to and there is no need to make 1000s all at once and chance them getting old and no good.
On my last reversal my plans were to make 10-20 F2 seeds (from my own cross that I am stabilizing) I did 1 little branch and still ended up with 98 seeds.
your best bet is if your going to have 1000 seeds you’re better off to have 100 seeds each of 10 strains than 1000 of 1 strain.
I also came from wine making and at one time I combined the 2 hobbies and built a header for my carboys. I ran fish tank air hose from my carboys all to a single hose to my grow room and my plants used the byproduct (Co2).
I also started with C/S and had minimal success but I did have success. I had times where I got pollen sacks but no pollen or no viable pollen.
I will say if you get discouraged with C/S then it will be time to move on to STS.
C\S is a great stepping stone I also made my own (very easy)
I think anyone making seeds should use C/S a few times and then switch to STS just to get you use to the disappointments that can happen so when you do switch to STS you will be seasoned for bad outcomes and be more appreciative that the outcomes are way better.
I am still at 100% success with STS for over a year now, C/S I was well below 50% success. (and by success I mean seeds at the end not sacks or pollen)
Welcome to the site! You are in good hands here all the members are helpful and if they don’t know the answer they can suggest a member that can help (that’s not saying they will always tell you what you wanted to hear but they will have the answer lol.
Good luck and feel free to reach out as I said I have experience in both C/S and STS.

5 Likes

This is what my goal is. And why I keep reading on. Thanks @ob! :smiley:

2 Likes

This is an experiment for me at this point. I have read about empty pollen sacs and infertile pollen using CS. It was inexpensive and easy to get so that’s where I started. I decided to pollinate the whole tent “just in case”. The more buds I have in the breeze the better chance of at least one of them getting pollinated “if” there is pollen and “if” it’s viable. BTW, Good thinking using the waste Co2 from the fermenters!! I’ll never forget my first wine volcano when I decarbonated a 6 gallon carboy of blueberry!! I had 21 pounds of blueberries in that wine and about a liter of it wound up on the basement floor.

3 Likes

No instructions. I just drench the plant twice daily. I mixed the 240ppm CS with an equal amount of distilled water about a week ago. Still too hot I think. If I stay with this hobby a while I will try the STS method.

5 Likes

I think it is good to start with C/S.
If you have a separate area you could remove the reversed plant and collect pollen in a small container stored with a silica pack to keep the pollen dry then use a water color paint brush to manually apply pollen to your buds.
The problem with your method is the fan will blow pollen around and when you don’t want seeds a couple of grows down the line you will find you will get seeds because pollen is everywhere in the tent.
After reading your volcano experience I just thought of another good piece of advice.
I don’t have a grow tent I have a grow room. In the room I have wooden shelves that use to store my wine on (of course side ways to keep the cork from drying out).
well I made some nice Peach desert wine, it finished really sweet.
I guess the yeast wasn’t all dead like I thought it was and it started to ferment and blew the cork off.
Naturally it was pointed at my grow so I spent days trying to get this sticky mess off 2 LED lights, 1 CMH light, 4 plants and the walls and floor.
Then to top it off, because it was so sweet suddenly every ant in the neighborhood found my house.
looking back now I’m glad I just grow pot it’s a much cleaner hobby.

5 Likes

Naturally. Where else could that cork have gone?! :joy:

1 Like