Let’s see your buds right now (Part 2)

@NivicD

Welcome to the forum! Great bud shot growmie!

2 Likes

Just ordered a bunch! Can’t wait!

1 Like

@Latitudes I am not worthy.

Lost in the Sixties :peace_symbol:

4 Daz ago…one Purple Kush auto in my MacGyver tent in the garage…KISS keep it stupid simple.

11 Likes

So, my fungus gnat problem was getting out of hand again… I reapplied dt bits… But the gnats were still everywhere… Applied botanical oils… Didn’t faze them… Then I remembered I had some used aquarium gravel… When it gets super covered in algae I take it out of the aquarium, dry it out for a couple months, wash it with hydrogen peroxide water and reuse… I’ve read about people using diatomaceous earth or sand… I don’t want to use either… I’m worried about diatomaceous earth getting kicked up in the air because of the fans and I dont want the sand or earth mixing with the dirt… I put 3/4" layer of aquarium gravel instead

… In theory it should be relatively easy for me to get the gravel out of the way if I need to get in the dirt… Annnnnd it shouldn’t affect the pH of the soil

Buds are starting to look good!!!

13 Likes

Looking good. I’ve thought about putting a layer of landscape gravel or something similar on top of the coco in my pots to keep the top layer from moving. Never thought about it helping with those f@#$&+# gnats. Keep us posted on if the gravel helps. I’ve also seen people put a layer of sand on top of their grow medium to combat fungus gnats.

1 Like

@NivicD cool pic, welcome to Club Canna!! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

We’ll see how it goes… I just got some more sticky traps I’m going to put out… They’re all over the gravel… I don’t think they can get through… If that’s accurate that means no more eggs… Guess I’m heading to the pet store… I have several other plants in need of aquarium gravel… I’d be careful what kind of gravel you use if you do the same… Rocks can affect ph in a real dramatic way… Works the same in aquariums as it does in soil… That’s why I think aquarium gravel might work well without messing with the soil ph

2 Likes

Nice. Looks like you’re headed for the home stretch!

1 Like

Well, the Durban Thai x C99 appears to have sprouted pistils… As @Newt put it to me… It’s day zero of flower… Her tent counterpart isn’t quite there yet but I’ve had to supercrop her a couple times this past week so it’s not terribly shocking she might be running a little behind

14 Likes

24 Likes

Pretty! @Dman1969

1 Like

Week 8 since germination. Feel like my buds are super small compared to what I’m seeing.

First pick is June 8, last two are from this morning

13 Likes

They will expand hugely in the next several weeks… Trust that!.. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Man I sure hope so. This is my first grow of any kind and been mostly winging it on nutrients and such haha.

I think it looks good so far, but would be really disappointing to get it this far and not end up with a good bud at the end

2 Likes

So… @Mcsketcher … Talk to me about these gnats that are pestering your ladies… :sunglasses:

I’ve only done a handful of grows… Only had gnat issues twice. Just figured I had some bad soil (I might use 3 different types as a mix initially) that had eggs, I dunno… The few times I had an issue I used a mix of dish soap and neem oil (came with AP4P kit a while back). Moreso on the soil, and it killed the problem for me. But like I said, not too much experience with it… Is it a recurring issue for 'ya?.. Other than a nuisance, harmful effects for the plant?

Thanx in advance… Cheers!.. :tropical_drink:

1 Like

Just keep up what you’re doing… Many more folks much more experienced on here… I’m learning from them… :sunglasses: :tropical_drink:

Beautiful!.. From that 2nd pic back in post #1704, the way you’ve trained your gal, it should be a great yield! Those colas are just gonna grow more dense!.. :sunglasses: :beers: :boom:

1 Like

Sooo, my 36 gallon aquarium got some brand new blue/green gravel…

That way Ms. Shogun and the tent ladies (white truffle x c99, Durban Thai x c99) got some used aquarium gravel like “stepchild”… It certainly looks nice… I don’t know how it’s going to work out with the blumat system… The gnats love the blumat system because of the constant moisture… Hopefully, this will be a literal wedge between the two and I’m left with the best of both worlds…

10 Likes

I didn’t have any issues with gnats my 1st few grows which were during fall/winter… Never saw any… Come spring, different story… I swear I watched one fly in with me when I unlocked the door and they never went away… I can’t say with any kind of certainty that that 1 was the cause of the infestation that followed, though it sure feels like it… They are a nuisance to us people but they can apparently wreak havoc on the plants… It’s not the gnats themselves that are at issue per say… It’s their larvae… They( the gnats) lay their eggs in the soil… The larvae that hatch feed on detritus in the soil primarily… However, if foods running scarce they will munch on the root hairs… This can really f*** with the plant…
Often this manifests itself in the foliage which often looks as though some kind of deficiency is taking place or the pH is out of whack when neither are accurate… There are many species of fungus gnats… I speculate some might be bigger root nibblers than others… Most of what I’m asserting is things I’ve read recently… I did however read them because of a couple plants… Namely my 2 cola gfog that was plagued with foliage issues until I got rid of the gnats and “stepchild”… She was having some issues with her foliage until I got rid of the gnats… They rebounded (the plants)… And now the gnats are rebounding… Hopefully the gravel works

3 Likes

Muchas gracias! @Mcsketcher. Thanx for the info! … My few issues were during cooler months… Didn’t know if they were detrimental to the plant, just got rid of 'em… Maybe a seasonal issue here in the Carolinas, I dunno. Maybe already in purchased soil?.. :thinking:

So my treatment of detergent & neem oil is good? bad? Doesn’t do squat?.. No issues yet with the current newbies just sprouting… :upside_down_face:

1 Like