Greenhouse build on the cheap

I hope I’m in the right place, I would like to use this as a journal for my greenhouse build. I’m doing this on the fly and it may take me longer than I would like. I am a old carpenter and not as fast as I use to be. If you can be patient I think some may find it amusing. If you have any suggestions please feel free to post. Peace Mike

13 Likes

How big do you need? I think typical route here is go hoop house method. Basically bend pipe and buy greenhouse film in bulk.

3 Likes

Here is my start, I poured a 6" footer 12’x12’,

8 Likes

12’ 2x6 foundation with 12’ deckboard for the floor.

Going to have a 2’ knee wall on the West, South and East side, North side will be sided for cold north wind winter grow. Windows are from a neighbor that was putting in more EF windows. Free. I should mention all the materials have been purchased from my Local big box. Deck board all had flaws (kull) and was purchased 75% off, Concrete footer was broken bags $1 each, siding was from my man cave build.

Windows and one wall framed, this pic is looking where the door is going to go, looking south.
East side windows in and siding up. Total cost so far less than $200
I had a job that required replacing a storm door, the door I was replacing was in better shape than my door so I replaced the door on my catio ( I named it that because Mrs cat lets our cats cruise the screened in porch). Any how I was left with this POS and it just sat and started to be reclaimed by Mother Earth. I decided to rebuild it .
This is whats left when I tore it apart. Stay tuned the transformation is cool.

16 Likes

Window screen is going on top of the windows and rigging plexiglass for quick removal. I’ll show pics tomorrow. Went to Lo to check out a AC window unit and found a 8000BTU that was a open box display, on clearance. They wanted $369 for one in the box, I got 75% off the display so it cost me $79.75. I’m going to frame a window on the North wall for it. Should solve my heat problem here in Memphis. They say it will cool 350sf, I only have 144sf

4 Likes

@dbrn32 I want something that if Mrs Cat and I ever sell our house it could be used for multiple purposes. If someone wanted to they could BBQ or party out of the rain. If I was going to do hoop I would prob. use PVC, light and bends easy, I thought about using greenhouse cloth for the roof but it just wouldn’t hold up. Plans are to use recycled pickets for the roof on the inside and 1/2" composite sheets for the roof and shingles. Just to keep the Southern Baptist happy I better make the shingles match the house.

6 Likes

Along for the ride. It looks good.

1 Like

It is coming along very nicely.

This is going to be interesting to see come together

1 Like

@Cat1 that is one nice greenhouse. I would love to follow along!!

2 Likes

With this season’s wet rainy weather. You got me thinking, my old chicken tractor will make a nice auto flower greens house. I even have the plastic, any suggestions on plastic thickness?

2 Likes

@Dhooter I am not a greenhouse guru by any strech of the imagination, but if I were going to put plastic up I would use 4-6 mill. Greenhouse cloth is a good choice also, it lets your greenhouse breath and lets heat out. :+1: its also not much more than plastic.

1 Like

@Dhooter @JaneQP @Mr_Wormwood @Flitme Jump on its a party :tropical_drink: :beers: everyone has to have a hobby, I like to make stuff as inexpensive as possible. I call myself cheap but Mrs Cat says I’m frugal. So far in this build I have less than $300 including the AC. My budget is between $1000-$1500. If you were to build the same my estimale is $15000+. Plans are for heat and air, ceiling fan, finished in barnwood, trimed in cedar. If it sounds unreasonalble price the cost of a 12’x12’ deck. It will take a while so please bear with me. End result will be beautiful. Mike

6 Likes

My only concern/observation is in re: the windows. They attenuate a LOT of sunlight and might not be the best choice for growing cannabis outdoors. I would also think the roof should be transparent or translucent.

4 Likes

I thought the same but the problem is not sunlight but heat, the pics I am posting show how the screen is on top of the windows to let heat out. The windows are a East West face so I get morning and evening sun (which is minimal because the house blocks the hot evening sun. Noon here is brutal, I thought about greenhouse cloth for the roof and even corrugated panels but I think the heat would limit the strain I would be able to grow. Hence the shingle and window AC I should be able to keep a constant 75 degree. Worse comes to worse I can tint the windows, they are also double pane. I plan to use 30gl totes with 2 levels, one on the deck and one at 1’ closest to the window Good points. Windows start at 2’, walls a standard 8’. I want to be able to rotate my plants for maximum light. Mike

3 Likes

The framed wall above the windows will be screend with custom transom windows to let heat out when the AC isn’t cranking.
This is how the door is shaping up, still a way to go but I’m getting there, the door next to it is the one I got from a earlier job.
This is my idea of a good board! I’ll straighten it and it will be perfect. I got it for 75% off.

10 Likes

I would think east west windows with the prevailing winds might help to let the heat out a little. Just my 2cents.

Lots of windows, do you have any nosey neighbors? We generally leave out the windows in Dixie for obvious reasons.

2 Likes

Thats the idea! Gonna make transom windows for spring and fall vent, be able to close in the summer when its real hot and turn on the AC :sunglasses: seal up for winter and use heater or grow in my man cave. :+1:

3 Likes

@GulfCoastGurilla I live at the back of a cove. One neighbor is on the North side which will be sided. 2nd neighbor is on the East drinks moonshine and will be blocked by fence. Third neighbor is blocked by fence and man cave. North and East neighbors I have known for 20 years. South side neighbor is blocked. West side is my house. South side neighbor smokes. Also growing Veggies.

5 Likes