Germination of really old Columbian Seeds

Have been out of contact lately due to illness. Kind of frustrating, get something going then get sick again.

Do have GOOD NEWS! FINALLY got a pair of female plants out of my seeds. They are growing really well in my friends hydroponics greenhouse. I helped build a black curtain arrangement that we put on a timer and it closes off ALL light at the times set. It raises and lowers the curtain set-up that is on a cage, so hopefully no crushed branches! Glad my friend is mechanically inclined, I am NOT! lol Seems to be working well so far. One is stretching out to about 30 inches now and growing well, the other about 36 inches and doing well. Still in Veg and I am going to keep 'em there for a couple months. Want to try to maximize my yield if I cannot transfer. Going to get some pictures soon hopefully. I am going to make one a Mother plant and move her to a new area.

QUESTION: Can I transfer the mother to soil when it is in hydro?? I am afraid I waited too long and it is too big. Never heard anything about doing it but would like to get her to a more secure place in my house to keep her healthy and have a closer eye on her. Anyone that has input in transferring to soil from hydro, please let me know. I may have to take clones and start a new mother plant from those because of her size she may not take to transfer. @MacGyverStoner or @latewood if you have any comments, would appreciate your learned input.

Yaā€™ll take care and keep safe. Jerry

6 Likes

Going from hydro to soil usually isnā€™t a problem. The other way around, soil to hydro, can be much more problematic, but not impossible.

Happy to see you back @TxGrowman

~MacG

4 Likes

1st! Great to see you on your feet! Welcome back

I agree with MacG. You are going to see some stress but, if you gently place her in some nice grow medium, she will recover and be fine. Do not use too big a pot or you will need to prune often unless you are taking a lot of cuttings. I keep MOMs in a 1 gallon pot and root bound. 3 gallon pot Max.

Good Luck and Happy growing! :smiley:

3 Likes

Appreciate the input. I canā€™t wait to get some smoke off these plants. I havenā€™t had any good Columbian in years ! I am definitely NOT going to hurry this grow. I want to shoot for quality and quantity in this one, with clones to keep it going !

1 Like

Thanks for the info. It is great to be back. Now to stay healthy for a while. I am excited to get a mother plant so I can keep my supply of good smoke going.

Additional note on my first male plants. My friend has the plants growing well and is going to cross them soon. Getting excited as he is going to give me seeds from the cross after he gets them stable (two generations). Canā€™t wait to try some Columbian Blueberry. The WW/Columbian cross sounds interesting also.

3 Likes

Have two tall columbian ladies this AM ! One is over 4 feet and the other is one just a hair behind. Iā€™m a happy man right about now. Plan on letting them veg for another month or more. We have unlimited ceiling space (well up to 12 feet anyway !) and I doubt that they will outgrow that.

(Gonna start a second grow blog, ā€œStrawberries in the Grow Boxā€)
Have a second grow going at home in my homemade Grow Box. Really glad I built it, it will likely be around a LOT longer than me. Got me a Strawberry Kush plant grown from a seed that I got from Robert a couple years ago. The seed popped in <30 hours and now is going crazy 35 days later. Just went to flowering. It was a little quick but I REALLY need something to smoke and I donā€™t have the cash for a buy. I think it will be fine but I would like to let it veg more.

I am impressed with Robertā€™s seeds and the fact that all my seeds are doing so well. I keep them stored in a lock box with controlled temp and humidity. Cannabis seeds are a LOT more hardy than people give them credit for. Just have to take care of them. I am going back to my buddy again and getting some more of the old Columbian seeds while I can. He offered me more seeds and I believe Iā€™ll take him up on that offer.

Yaā€™ll take care and have a great Groundhogs Day. Outdoor growers may not be pleased with 6 more weeks of winter as Phil did see his shadow if you believe in that ! LOL Jerry

7 Likes

My ladies keep getting bigger and bushier all the time. I am getting anxious already and Flowering has not even began. I keep telling myself, discipline, discipline ! Trimmed a lot of lower families off to let the mast get the nutes. I have the feeling this is going to be a great grow. The ladies are starting to let off a little odor. DISCIPLINE ! Start flowering about the end of Feb.

3 Likes

@FloridaSon I was thinking the same thing .lol

1 Like

Damn, my buddy went on vacation and did not tell me. Cannot get into his greenhouse! The plants look good from the outside but I really canā€™t see much s he has them hidden so they are not very visable. He is coming back in three days. Hope they did OK in his absence. He is using aquaponics and they self feed from a fish tank. Canā€™t wait for him to come home.

Want to start flowering as soon as he gets home. They are really getting big and I am concerned that we may not have enough room in the house even with 12 foot ceilings. They look to be over five feet now. Need to get in and do some LST at the minimum.

1 Like

Just got back from my friendā€™s house 20 minutes ago that was growing my Columbian ladies. His greenhouse was broken into and they cut my plants off. He said he just got back from his trip and cruise that he took and they were gone. All that is left is the huge stumps and the curtain frame we made to cover it at night. To say Iā€™m pissed would be an understatement ! ! Whoever took the plants apparently knew nothing about pot or they would have taken the plants root and all ! ! The curtain off the frame was apparently used to carry out the plants and his lights. Not exactly the thing that you can report to the local police !

I found out that he had made about 30 clones that were viable and they were taken also. He never told me about them and when his wife mentioned them, he looked embarrassed and mumbled something like it was going to be a ā€œSurpriseā€ for me when they were good enough to sell. His wife looked surprised that I was never told about them and was mad at him. I really had no use for that many clones and really no place to sell them. Apparently he did. She apologized several times before I left and said she was sorry he did that to me. It was not her fault.

He broke a rule that I would never do, be honest with your friends. Maybe he was not really a friend in the first place.

Secondly, he broke the #1 rule in growing, NEVER tell anyone what you are doing. He was talking to another friend that he knew and apparently trusted and even showed him the plants. Canā€™t believe he would be that stupid. You cannot trust anyone with that kind of info. I was just going to get a hold of him and get the flowering started. What a waste, I was hoping to not have to grow anymore after this summer for a long time. Canā€™t believe it! If he wanted to make money off it, fine, but at the least tell me about it. I wouldnā€™t have been upset if he did that, just makes me feel bad that he would do it behind my back. I was using his facility after all.

Guess that is the way life is. Going to have to start all over again. Had already asked my friend in New York for more seeds and he said no problem, as I knew he would. Have known him for all my life, we grew up together.

So ends what I thought would be a great grow. Iā€™m going to concentrate on my small grows and stay with that. Lesson learned the hard way.

I am just pissed off so much now that I need to close. Keep this in mind when you share information to friends, they may not really be friends. Trust yourself only ! Jerry

5 Likes

Damn man Iā€™m so sorry to hear that! Some people just canā€™t keep their mouths shut though, and itā€™s a shame! If i could Iā€™d send you some seeds, but I canā€™t, so instead Iā€™m sending you some good vibes to help you through this tough time.

:v::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree:

2 Likes