Germinating not going well I am zero for five

I have 1 that has sprouted, the hull is still attached, it is long and thin. I tried gently to see if I could remove the hull, but couldn’t. I tried to post a pic for an hour, it was so slow I gave up. Do you think I should put the plant under direct or indirect light or what???
Thanks,
Monty

oh good!! What is you lighting situation? Do you have a grow light? Let the seedling try to shed the husk, if after a day or so its still on you can try gently removing it again. One suggestion: put a fan near your sprouts, not directly on them and not a huge fan. The goal is to have what I call Dancing Ladies, meaning they have a slight tremble when you watch them but aren’t getting blown all over the place. This will greatly strengthen the stems right out of the gate and make the plants grow strong and healthy. But first things first we need to figure out your lighting situation.

I have a Giixer 1000w with separate veg and blossom switches. I have lots of CFLs. I have a fan that sounds like it would be perfect for what you are describing.

There is a lot of sun and a little breeze on my deck, so I put it out there for now. I am eager to here from you.
Thanks,
Monty

The Giixer is LED.

Under the lights would be great. Follow the light companies suggested distances. Are you hoping to put them outdoors for the summer??

No, I just put the 1 on the deck today. The other seed cracked, it still has the hull on in. When I brought the 1st one back inside this evening I got the hull off of it…I don’t know if I did the right thing time will tell. As far as the light goes I am going to do some research now. I was originally planning on a single CFL on each and go for 24/7. Thanks for any input you may have.

Hey you have succeeded with germination which is great. The LED light will be fine, just make sure the light is placed at a proper distance. How many watts is the light? Plants like humans need a period of rest, and even though these are auto flowering plants (correct me if I am wrong) 18/6 light cycle is good. 24/0 will work, but I believe that giving them time to rest is good. Maybe @MrPeat @Myfriendis410 would like to weigh in on this… Whatever you do in choosing your light cycle for your girls, use a timer and keep it consistent throughout your grow. Plants actually will perform better when a schedule is consistent.

1 Like

Thank you for stepping me through the germination.

1 Like

I run 12/12 only. But for most, 18/6 is perfect. This ligh schedule will keep the plants in Veg mode till you flip.

How many watts? Generally for burples if like 50 watts per square foot. Good LED lights like HLG is around 30 watts per square foot.

@dbrn32 is the Light Guru. :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. 18/6 sounds good.

2 Likes

Just want to thank you for your directions for germination. The little seedlings look like they are going to survive. Maybe others will read and get the help as well. Thanks, Monty

Of course @MontyR anytime man!! Keep us posted with pics and other questions you have!!

Thanks!

I have the 2 seedlings in 18 oz plastic cups. When should I transplant them?

How big are they @MontyR? And how many days old? In ProMix correct? Any picture, that would be helpful…

Typically once the leaves are to the outside of the cup, you can transplant, maybe even just a tad longer.

Now that you said that I kind of remember reading something like that. I feel a lot more confident.
Thank you,
Monty

1 Like

Monty!! How’s things!?

Thank you for your help last year. Everything went pretty good after you help me get off to a good start. I did some things that I will do differently next time, but all and all it was good. I have been busy with a bunch of family stuff. Too many people in and out of my house for me to feel comfortable with a garden.

1 Like