fRIEDfRED Second Attempt - 2020 JournaL

Thanks for the tag Oldtimer69.

I just listened to a potcast with Jeff L. Cool guy and he lives in Alaska which I did not know.

I’ve sworn off autos, but he is claiming they are superior to reg seeds! I couldn’t believe it.

3 Likes

I started a couple Autos so I wouldn’t have to wait until October for something to harvest. I’m also toying with the thought of trying a winter grow in the greenhouse. Probably another stupid idea but what the hey!!! That’s how ya learn.

I’m interested in your raised beds @AAA. Thinking they would be much easier to manage long term than the grow bags I’m using.

2 Likes

That really is a good presentation by him

1 Like

When I bought my raised beds livingsoil was not selling the size I wanted, but they have them now.

I built mine with Coots mix from Build A Soil.

Added 2500 red wiggles per 2x4 raised Beds.

https://www.grassrootsfabricpots.com/shop/2x4-living-soil-raised-bed/

3 Likes

@fRIEDfRED for your winter grow. To keep your temperature up overnight fill black water butts up with water. They soak up the heat during the day and release it at night. It’s a good cheap source of heat and it could be enough as keep the frost off tender plants.

3 Likes

Interesting concept AAA. :+1: Thanks for sharing the link. Just starting to think about this but if I do this, I’ll probably custom build something as I already have the concrete blocks on 3 sides. Hmmmm, got me thinking ha ha. Gotta get through this season first though.

2 Likes

I keep my succulents in the greenhouse during the winter months to prevent them from freezing Davyg and I have used a small propane heater when a freeze is forecast. Black buckets with water could be a good option and so much cheaper. Thanx for the suggestion.

2 Likes

It was an article I read on the net somewhere that suggested the idea. It came under thermal battery I’m sure. Might’ve been Pinterest or similar. One side of the greenhouse had four 150 ltr black barrels just soaking heat up during the day. Just enough to keep the frost back at night. I’m sure he had plant trays directly above the barrels for maximum effect :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I put drain trays under mine and then mounted the trays onto plastic moving dollies.

2 Likes

Found these critters yesterday. Not sure if these are the culprits eating my plants. Reached in to get a better picture but it flew away.

Not sure what they are, any thoughts?

here is a better picture!

2 Likes

April 30, Meanwhile, plants are growing like weeds,lol.:raised_hands:

Another week I’ll be able to drop the Scrog net and start training.

3 Likes

Looks like a jumping spider.

3 Likes

That is a jumping spider for sure doesn’t eat plants but will plunder all other critters it rolls up on.

4 Likes

Looks like a spider…maybe jumping spider…looks like it eats other critters
Well I just read others posts…so yep jumpin jack flash

4 Likes

Thanks guys. Now that I know what they are I’ll leave them alone. So the one I saw didn’t fly off after all, just looked like it did. Probably just jumped down to a lower branch lol. :space_invader:

2 Likes

There insanely fast jumpers, it’s like they just disappear

1 Like

We have similar here. If you listen you can hear a click as they jump. Didn’t realise they were friendly bugs though. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I think I found what the visiting critters eating the plants are.I had problems with these last year also.

Found a couple of these spotted cucumber beetles on the plants.

Had them last year also. Think I’ll try the squish method of controlling them. I have seen some Growers use DE but I’m trying to stay all natural. Will DE harm the microbes in the soil.

4 Likes

In a garden format there are no bad spiders, they are one of the best pest controllers out there

2 Likes

They certainly will do that