fRIEDfRED Second Attempt - 2020 JournaL

I was sitting out back by my pond and playing my :guitar: guitar after taking a couple tokes. Suddenly I had an AHA moment (which turned into a duh). Why don’t I try an aquaponics grow. Everything is here and already setup. Endless Oxygenated water, awsome natural fertilizer and it’s a biologically balanced system. Why not!!! Probably too late to start new photo period but I have some auto seeds. Hmmmmmm🤔

6 Likes

Love the landscape, beautiful job.
Aquaponics really intrigues me, I would like to give it a go one day.
Why not indeed my friend, you already have most of the requirements. :v:

4 Likes

What’s crazy it’s been there all this time and I didn’t see it. I’m already using the water and fish poo for my greenhouse grow. Think I’ll get started germinating. I need to trim a few overhead branches back to let in more light and move some plants but you can see the plants that are already there are thriving. Nothing to lose.:+1:

1 Like

The only drawback I’ve read so far is that marijuana plants need extra boost in flower and it can throw the biologically balanced system out of alignment. But there is a company in Canada, I think, called
Green Relief, they grow medicinal marijuana with pure Aquaponics, pretty interesting.

2 Likes

Thanx for your thoughts Enlightened. Think I’ll go surfing the web and check them out. Gotta be a way for the boost during flower or maybe they won’t need it. Don’t know.

1 Like

Good Morning Girls…Watchin you havein fun raising these girls…Enjoy

2 Likes

Found this web site and there seems to be quite a few on the subject. Got more learning to do.

3 Likes

Great read, I haven’t read this, as yet, bookmarked thanks fRIEDfRED

2 Likes

Absolutely man geterdone

1 Like

These work exceedingly well and are a good way for beginners to learn the basics of Aquaponics.
This is mine, but it is not hooked up for fish yet, I am just hand watering ATM. I bought it off a friend and have seen it in action and the fruit, vegetables and fish that it produces, quite amazing really, superb chillies and weed :ok_hand:

Fish tank and pump in the bottom.
Simple but ingenious.

6 Likes

A very fascinating setup indeed @Enlightened420. Likes :+1: it!!! More data, need more data :joy: lol. So it just continuously pumps from the fish tank to the plants and returns it back to the tank. How big is the tank?

3 Likes

Or, do the roots actually reach down in the tank?

2 Likes

Here is a link to Leafy’s take on growing cannabis with aquaponics.

2 Likes

Looking at the diagram I’m not finding what I should be using for the medium in the planter. I’m thinking :thought_balloon: Maybe 1/4" gravel or aquarium rock but don’t know. Any thoughts?

3 Likes

Lava rock, Hydroton ??? :v:

2 Likes

Thanks @repins12, I’ve never done hydroponics and wasn’t familiar with hydroton so looked it up online. Looks perfect for what I have in mind. Just ordered some.

1 Like

Apologies for late reply, I’m on the other side of the pond :v:

There are numerous different styles and set-ups I have seen, basically, whatever works.

2 Likes

Check out the podcast “growing with Fishes” its cannabis based. Also, I don’t see why you could not use regular lava rock from the big box stores.

2 Likes

Mine is a flood and drain table, or ebb and flow, I always get those 2 confused. It is a 1000L water IBC, the water container is cut at 3/4 height, then inverted, grow bed on top, fish tank below, I can’t remember what interval he had the water cycling at, but you can set to your watering preference.

1 Like

Thanks for the more data :joy: haha input Enlightened. Sounds like a pretty clever set up.

I started prepping my pond today to make room for some Autos. I had a lot of overgrown variegated water celery growing everywhere in pots, out of pots and the roots had grown all the way down the well into the bio filters. I typically clean them once a year so today was the day! The pots were all charged with non fertilized river soil sitting about two inches in the pond water with massive root balls outside the bottom of the pots. The plants were loving it. Also found the pots were loaded with earth worms which surprised me.

1 Like