First Grow - Wedding Cake

Mission complete! I picked the three “healthiest”. All of them still had the damn fabric on them from the starter. I know better than to plant with that still intact. :man_facepalming:t3: I used one bag 38.5lb dry of OF and one 8lb dry of perlite.

3 Likes

I dislike them pods so much. It restrain them from growing. Maybe the reason they were like that. I just plant seed straight in forever home.

1 Like

I’ve used them a bunch for vegetables, but you have to cut the wrap before transplant :man_facepalming:t3:.

@harleyspops, well that turned out for the best didn’t it. They look so much better in that soil.
You may want to switch to the Root Riot plugs. They work great, and are kinda like a sponge. And stays together and keeps it shape well, and there is no net around them. Also I always seem to have ph problems with those Jiffy pods, but not with the Root Riots.
Be sure to keep us updated on the progress from here.

1 Like

I would recommend that you use the Root Riot plugs to start you seedling, and let them get some roots established before they are dropped into soil. If you drop the seed directly in the soil. You run the risk of dropping the seed on a nutrient hot spot in the soil. If this happens it can burn its tap root, and stunt the growth.

1 Like

Post transplant they are looking rough. I’ll have to water tomorrow. I think I need cal-mag, but I won’t add any other nutes. Thoughts? @Ickey @Randyrican Any help is greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

Actually, I think it’s a PH issue still.

1 Like

Ph may very well still be an issue. But I think that not knowing about the fabric sock around the pods, has caused us to misdiagnose the problem. I now think that they were starving due to being root bound.
I would remove the lower yellow fan leaves, and then start a lite nutrient feeding around the stem of the plant. You will need to just to buy them a few more days to establish some roots in the new soil. Then you will be able to deal with the ph.

3 Likes

Not sure why this didn’t occur to me before. Removing the yellow leaves and a foliar fed would be first course of action. Then follow up with the light feeding directly around the plants stem.

2 Likes

Should I do weak cal-mag and weak trio in the spray? Week 5 maybe?

1 Like

@harleyspops, I have never used FF nutrients. This is what I use for foliar spray, and I doubt did you have this. Let’s tag @Docnraq, I am sure he will know if you can use something you already have.

1 Like

After looking at your chart the flower kiss is the one recommended for foliar fed in veg. I would start feeding the roots at about 1/2 strength of week 3 with first two nutrients. But if you can wait a bit, we may want to get doc’s opinion.

1 Like

Before you go spraying fertilizer on your plant… fill this out please. Copy paste and fill in the answers as best you can.

Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)

-What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed (photo or auto)
-Age of plant
-Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
-Vessels: Type and capacity of container (fabric, plastic, etc)
-PH and TDS of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
-PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
-Method used to measure PH and TDS
-Indoor or Outdoor if indoor, size of grow space
-Light system List brand and wattage/spectrum
-Actual wattage draw of lights
-Current Light Schedule
-Temps; Day, Night
-Humidity; Day, Night
-Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
-AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
-Co2; Yes, No

If growing Hydro some additional questions:

-DWC? RDWC? Autopots? Ebb and Flow? Other?
-Distance of liquid below net pot (DWC)
-Temperature of reservoir
-TDS of nutrient solution
-Amount of air to solution

Always try to upload a clear picture in white light of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you

2 Likes

@Docnraq, you will need to read back through this thread. At first we thought the problem was with the soil. But when @harleyspops transplanted them he found that the fabric cover had not been removed from the jiffy plug, and the problem was the root bound plugs. Now @harleyspops is trying to save them with some light nutrients. Until they can establish some roots in the new FF soil.
Sorry to bring you in without updating you.

3 Likes

I saw that, just wanted current state of things.

1 Like

Without that I can wager a few opinions. #1) week 5 of the feeding scgedule isnt really a weak feed.
#2) foilar feeds are generally 1-1-1 npk value (at least my experience with them) so week 5 feed of the trio is 8 - 12.5 - 8.7 thats a very big difference. A full foilar feed of just calmag is 2-0-0 (my calmag any ways) it would be better to just foilar with calmag. Nitrogen is what she is hungry for at this stage. #3) likely rootbound within the jiffy pod (starter pod) the roots in the pic above look kindy sickly so it could also have rotted inside the pod some. The peat inside those starter pods can stay wet for a long time, it isnt very free draining. I hate those pods. I bet for every successful user of them there is 10 who dont have good luck with them. I believe they are also nutritionless. She looked troubled before the transplant, that combined with the transplant itself might have thrown her into shock. If thats the case Im not sure foilar will help you here. What do the leaves feel like do they feel soft and lucious or rough and stiff?

Dropping her into FFOF, I wouldnt suggest foilar. She is got loads of nutes all around her. Off the cuff id suggest increasing the rh in your tent to like 65% to make it easier for the plant to breathe. Keep the soil moist but not wet as she will not be drinking alot while she is in shock.

1 Like

I think he place the pod like it was, in the new medium. Did he broke the pod a bit. It only had a few roots coming out of it.

1 Like

Wedding cake is slower to flower than some autos. So you still have a couple weeks to get them healthy before the flowering.

3 Likes

-ILGM Wedding Cake Auto
-sprouted 1/3/2023. Almost 7 weeks
-Method: started in Kellogg’s Organic Potting Soil then transplanted after 6+
weeks to FF OF
-Vessels: 5 gallon fabric pot
-PH of water close to 8 :cry:
-PH out 6.6
-PPM/TDS or EC: no nutes after transplant two days ago, but ppm from drip tray today and 6-9k
-ph and ppm meter
-Indoor 4x4 Marshydro tent
-Light Marshydro TSW2000 300w?
-Actual wattage draw of lights - unknown
-Current Light Schedule - 18/6
-Temps; Day, Night 70f/70f
-Humidity; Day, Night 60%/60%
-Ventilation system; Yes - 4” inline with carbon filter and two 6” fans
-Humidifier and vent are hooked to inkbird humidity controller
-small heater on thermostat plug
-Co2 - No

3 Likes

@omeyer I have two wedding cakes. And they seem to start preflowering in the third week. My other auto did it in her third week as well. From 21 to 25 days.

4 Likes