First Grow Ever!

Yeah, it looks great for week 4. The first 2 are entirely spent on root building and week 3 is always when they grow way more leaves than they’ll ever use.

By Week 5-6 you’ll be in flower whether you want to or not, but that’s okay. If your conditions stay good, she’ll do a nice preflower/early flower stretch and get some room and height

If you were going to FIM or top her at all, I highly suggest you do it now before the opportunity is lost.

My auto at what I believe to be around week 6

5 Likes

I topped her on Saturday, so that’s good! I just didn’t know if I had stunted the growth with all the complications I’ve had with her so far! That’s good to know! When I meant transition, I was just meaning the nute feeding.

Glad to hear I’m on track.

2 Likes

Looking good!
Yeah - she’s poised to explode with growth!
Like Graysin said, you’ve done all the below the belt growing and most of the energy will go to veg growth now.
Yeah - autos just do their own thing, you’re pretty much at their mercy. But they will stretch out and fill in a fair amount.
As far as nutes go I pretty much started mine on Jacks from the get go, but my soil had little to no nute pre-charge in it. Being in hydro I think you’d be safe to start, maybe a half dose if you’re worried.

This is the closest I could find to your dates. As you can see seeds went into the cups on Nov. 16th, this pic was on the 2nd of December.

This is them as of last night…

Now it’s just a matter of fattening them up for the kill! LOL!

You’re right on track!
Explosion imminent!

And she’s gonna explode - she’s looking really good!

5 Likes

DUDE! Those are some fat mommas! The 27th of December is when I dropped that seed, she popped in about 5 days. So I’m right around the week 4 mark. I have a journal on my iPhone in the notes app. Just helps keep up with dates & when I change water.

So here in about two weeks she will explode in growth? At the moment, it hasn’t been tremendous. I do know that micro stays about the same, grow will decrease, and bloom will increase. I go by TBSP to gallons. Other than that, its just cal/mag & hydro guard. Can you use Epsom salt as silica? I have a bag full of it for muscle recovery.

3 Likes

Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate. It works in place of “mag” in CalMag but doesn’t provide silica. Silica is generally pulled from soil for soil-grown plants, so it needs to be added in via other means in hydro. I suggest Bloom City’s “Silica Boost” or something like that. It’s on Amazon and actually delivers unlike the other stuff (Silica Blast, I think?). Others use something in powder form called AgSil something something. 16H maybe? @Hellraiser knows I think.

I just got a bottle of Gro-Tek silica because it was on sale and I needed to hit the $50 mark for free shipping (getting another autopot tray :rofl:) so I’ll report back how that works late on.

2 Likes

I think I read that you have to stop using silica in preflower/bloom transition? Is that wrong? If so, I will pick up a bottle of it!

I’m always looking for free shipping! :rofl:

And silica is for stalk girth & growth? Or just all around good for the cannabis?

Why? I mean, that might be accurate but I’m gonna go with “I haven’t heard that before.” I admit to not having researched it.

For me, the plant makes the most use out of silica when it goes into the preflower stretch - that’s where it needs the extra boost to build up strong cell walls and branches that can support the weight of the buds. It’s growing vertically so rapidly I can’t imagine it’s easy to create sturdy walls without help. I don’t add any more silica after the 2nd week of transition (once she’s stopped stretching skyward) because I figure at that point she’s not going to make much more use out of silica, as the branches are built and cell structure is in place. I’m not aware of a hard/fast “start here and stop here.”

Potassium silicate, which is the form of silica you want to find, is good for the plant in all ways. My main interest with it is structural support, but it has been shown to increase root production/growth, increase nutrient uptake and tolerance for wrong nutrient levels (overdose buffering), and so on. Plus it is potassium based, so you get a little extra K out of it.

I’m sure there are other benefits, but like I said I mostly use it to get sturdy branches.

3 Likes

Shoot fire! Haha yeah I just read to much, and so many opinions out there. I’m just a dummy towards it all; just trying to get educated.

I definitely see the benefit of it, and I checked out the bloom city brand. It’s pretty cheap too! I think I will go for it. I will read the plant & see when to stop. Like you said; it has to hold the weight of the buds, & by all means, I need some fat buds! Thank you @Graysin always a tremendous help.

My pleasure! Always happy to add my 2 cents when I’m able. :v: And never able to give enough likes :heart:

3 Likes

They need to restrict likes on social media! Maybe some people would quit getting satisfaction & dopamine rush from it, & we would all be a healthier world! :rofl::sunglasses::metal:t2:

Thanks man - they just grew there! LOL!

According to KootMed you can run silica right up until the last 2 weeks of flushing. CalMag most will stop in early flower so you’re not getting that extra N but that thinking may have changed also! LOL!

Silica is great for a overall stronger plant! Some studies suggest it also helps increase trichome growth and enhances their ability to hold on to the plant - even after drying/curing.
More trichs stuck to the plant means more trich to stick to my head!! LOL!

The subject of silica came up to me again a month or so ago and I asked @Hellraiser what he suggested and this was his reply -

I ordered it immediately! LOL!
I suppose it’s like buying a pair of Jordans and thinking that suddenly I can play basketball but you know - goals…LOL!
There’s a few posts right around that area where silica is discussed in a little more detail.

I kinda have a beef with the “like” system too. i don’t know about other social media sites since I’m absolutely NOT on any of them or ever will be…except maybe IG for the beans - LOL!
My problem is with the :heart: . That’s “love” NOT “like”!
I “like” a lot of posts, but I don’t necessarily “love” them! LOL!

4 Likes

Yessir get on IG so we can trade beans. I’d love an ethos seed or two some day. :drooling_face::sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I agree with both of you guys! I think I read that on the sativa university website, but what do they know! :rofl: I’ve already ordered it so let the games begin!

Yes, no social media for me either. I got off that crap years ago! I don’t like to follow trends or what’s “hip” these days. I could care less. I just give the likes on here to let you guys know I’m reading them, since they are always helpful. I won’t be a cog to society. People need to wake up.

I do wanna be apart of the bean trade off though! :rofl::sob: @Tylersays @Graysin

4 Likes

Get Instagram just for that. Seriously I only have an account to exchange grow tips and goodies with the growmies here. @SilvaBack203 is the easiest to find but he’s got the hookup to link up with the rest of us.

4 Likes

Always gonna be sheep and shepherds.
i prefer to be a Wolf!

2 Likes

@Graysin ill have to do some thinking on that!

@Tylersays have you ever done your research on the unibomber & what he stood for? Yes I know, he killed multiple people, but his ideologies were spot on in today’s world. Dudes IQ was 168. Definitely wasn’t a dummy. Definitely warned us about technology & the industrial revolution & what we would turn out to be. This was in 94’-97’. Look at us now, exactly what he was saying. :tipping_hand_man:t3::face_with_monocle::rofl: I DONT CONDONE VIOLENCE. K got that outta the way. :rofl:

2 Likes

Exactly!
After I reread my post i was like - Maybe I should have mentioned the “lone” part. Not the “aggressive predator” part! LOL!

edit: But no - Never really read up on it - I will now!

1 Like

Haha I didn’t take it that way. Better off to be a More “Calm’ wolf than a thirsty sheep.

Let me know what you think. He wrote a 57 page “manifesto” as the FBI called it, but more of a informational short read in his ideas of why, he was doing what he did. It’s definitely sinister. I do agree on some of the things he said though. As much as that sounds effed up.

1 Like

Yeah I got some of the Agsil but not a fan of it’s high ph. I use monosilisic acid for silica these days which is immediately available to the plants rather than potassium silicate (in most silica products) which needs to be broken down into monosilisic acid before the plants can uptake it.

No that is wrong, silica is great for all stages of growth. I use from seed to a couple weeks before harvest.

The only downside to silica can be that it makes your branches too thick and strong which can be an issue if you plan on a lot of stem bending/training. So some growers wait til after doing their bending/training then start with the silica.

4 Likes

@Hellraiser Thank you for the valuable information brother.

As @Graysin recommended, I bought the “Bloom City” brand. Do you have an opinions on that? Or have ever used it?

4 Likes