First Grow ever Need lots of Help

Hi everyone. I gotta question for the experts… This is a top 1/4 leaf off one of my plants. I took a pH of the water runoff in my pan the day after I watered and got a pH of 5.6. Anything going in, has had a pH of at least 6.5- 6.7.

This looks to be a calcium deficiency and while it doesn’t seem to be actually hurting my plants, the stalks are strong, the flowers are growing. Calcium deficiency can cause flowers to slow down and Ca def can cause flowers to slow down, right? So my question is:

What do I do about this situation? water, water/food and last 2 water/food/double cal magic (2mL per liter = double) going IN at 6.5-6.6 and in the pan, it’s more acidic - 5.5, 5.6

I saw a chart that shows calcium uptake is ideal at >6. Im in mid flower, plants overall look pretty healthy, what do I do? if anyone knows a pH / soil expert can you tag them for me pretty please?

Thanks!!!

One thing is to embrace that your girls are gonna get ugly. However “mid flower” is probably a little too early to just let them cannibalize themselves.

I’d keep the PH you’re putting in around the 6.5 mark and supplement with a little extra CalMag when you water. If your schedule is
Water / feed / water → then during a plain water day I’d do 2x CalMag and on a feed day just do a normal dose too. It should be fine. But remember the damaged leaves are not going to get better so you’ll need to keep a close eye on them to get a good sense of whether the damage is slowed or stopping.

2 Likes

Thanks Graysin. You’ve been following along so you know my plants are pretty healthy otherwise. Calcium is either lacking in the bucket/soil so in case it’s just srpead too thin - I did another purge of smaller inside buds and more leaves in order to distribute what calcium is there, around to less plant material, OR calcium isn’t being taken up properly and it’s d/t the pH being low in the soil.

aside; this is the first time I pH’d the runoff so I have no idea if it’s trending or just constant - I didn’t have runoff much to test, early on.

2 Likes

It sort of doesn’t matter much. I originally worried about my runoff ph/tds but have sort of fallen in line with “as long as what’s going in is correct, it’s probably fine.” It is a good tool, I certainly agree it’s great to check runoff when you see a problem. But you’re already on it with a diagnosis and a fix.

If anything, the low PH in the runoff makes me think that on feed days, I might add an extra gallon of water to the regime. Water with plain PH’d water with a gallon, then come back and use the feed mixture as usual. You’ll have more runoff but it should be a higher PH. I would only do this on feed days though since it’s sort of like a miniature flush and you’ll need to add the nutrients back at the end of the watering. That may assist with the calcium uptake.

2 Likes

How is everyone tonight?

1 Like

Good! Outta likes as usual.

Had a panic moment - thought my air pump was dying on me. It was squealing randomly and loudly. Ordered a new one on Amazon to be here Saturday. Went to disconnect it and swap it with the one connected to my veg tent. Realized that even while it wasn’t plugged in something was still squealing. Figured out my reservoir was nearly empty and the screaming was my water pump (directly below the air pump) and added more water to the res. Canceled the Amazon order. Everything is fine.

Holy crap though. I can’t believe that frosted jungle drank 20 gallons of water in the last couple of days.

How’re you?

3 Likes

@Graysin I’m doing well! So glad to hear that your equipment is fine!!! That has to be a scary moment! That is an unbelievable amount of fluid for it to go through! Makes me think I am not giving enough water to my babies! Just can’t wait until Harvest day gets here!!! I am so anxious and excited all at the same time!

2 Likes

Yeah it’s bananas. None of my plants have used that much that fast. I’m seriously concerned this thing is a reenactment of Little Shop of Horrors but cannabis edition. :rofl:

I’m excited for you! How are those flowers coming?

1 Like

@Graysin They are coming along…

3 Likes

Looking great. I’d take off a bunch of the fans from the lady in the first photo. Not great light penetration in there.

And man, you were NOT joking about that stretch. They’re tall.

1 Like

Okay I will take some of the Fan leaves off and trim her up a bit. :rofl: That one in the second photo won’t quit stretching!

2 Likes

Time for the pliers! :smiling_imp: :hammer_and_wrench:

1 Like

Damn man…I cant wait until my plants are edible… This is a long time to wait! :rofl:

2 Likes

Lol yep time for tool shop!

2 Likes

I was torn between
And
So you get both. :rofl:

I will say this as you prepare for harvest -
Get a big bottle of 3% peroxide and 2
5 Gallon buckets for the bud wash. Some peeps do 3 and a lemon/baking soda wash, but IMO that sounds… like a contaminant. Idk.

Get your grove bags and mini hygrometers ready! (Unless you’re going the burping way)

Buy yourself a Trim Bin and decent trimmers. Seriously. you will yourself for this.
Trim Bin Amazon.com

Trimmers - I have a $10 pair and then these ($20 at my local shop). The brand name in this case is seriously worth the price difference.
Hydrofarm HGPL400CT Precision Curved Lightweight Titanium Pruner https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MU81LR7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_G0N9V8R2T9J5QG7YT8H6

Edit: oh and get a mason jar to store your trim in inside the freezer. You’ll want it for (insert any number of things here) later.

2 Likes

@Graysin How long do you estimate before Harvest? I know it would be a rough estimate but just a ball park would be great!

1 Like

Lol that is Hilarious!!! You just made my day!

1 Like

It’ll be a real rough estimate because I don’t grow sativa dominants. The most I’ve gotten was the 50/50 (Lemon Tree) and it took forever.

Seriously though if I had to throw a number out I’d say 6 weeks before I’d be checking trichomes. 6-8 weeks before harvest. But that may change rapidly once they start packing on weight. They certainly have ample room to grow you some serious buddage on those stalks.

2 Likes

@Graysin I have 3 that are indicia dominant autos and 1 60/40 Sativa

2 Likes

And the sativa is the weirdly tall one, yeah? :laughing:

1 Like