Earthworms yes or no?

Ive done my research. Can’t come up with anything. Does anyone have experience useing earthwrms in their growing soil? I understand that Earthwarms normaly help aerate the soil.

2 Likes

Perlite works pretty well.

Welcome to the forum.

1 Like

@Atdoughboy I put a bunch of them in each of my pots with the same thought process but really other than gut feel have no way to prove one way or the other to the benefits except a ton of people purchase worm castings to add to their soil. This way you get fresh worm poop lol.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum! I put earthworms (red wrigglers from my worm farm) in my plants. They kinda just end up going in with the worm castings. I think it’s beneficial, but that’s not based on any scientific evidence

4 Likes

Yea I think maintaining a healthy soil for worms is almost the same for reefer. But most the time im pretty sure they just end up compost haha.

Heck if you got em, use em. But I wouldnt go out my way to buy ‘Special Bred Canna Farming Worms’ at a boutique price.

5 Likes

Solid.

You can probably get them for $3 a dozen at your local fish & tackle store.

5 Likes

Or under anything for free in your yard lol

5 Likes

Exactly! I happen to have them cuz I raise them to feed my axolotl so I use them and their castings :worm:

2 Likes

@Atdoughboy hi there and welcome to the neighborhood :grinning:
5tvXG2bIsjV9Cze7N9

7 Likes

@beachglass so that looks like an elephant trunk with a sock puppet on it lol!! Make it talk!!

4 Likes

Yeah this time of year My axl loves those cuz they’re bigger then the red wrigglers

3 Likes

@Fieldofdreams This is the only one that didn’t look like a talking and moving ‘boy part’.
lol

3 Likes

@beachglass :rofl::laughing::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::wink:

There are ‘Forums’ out there for that sorta nonsense lol!!

4 Likes

It kinda does look like a hungry monster boy part :flushed:

2 Likes

Feed me Seymour… bahahaha

4 Likes

We swooped some up from Uncle Jim’s Worm Farm. The worms help with air-rating the soil and add a ton a beneficial nutrients back into the soil. They are like a little workforce operating 24-7.

If you are going for the organic approach check out a fella by the name of BrownGuy420 (Solo Farms) on YouTube. He dose a fantastic job of creating one of the best living soils in my opinion. His approach is quite unique.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info! Gonna check him out

1 Like

Me too. Ha

4 Likes

Awwwwww they have so much personality!

You might want to change your substrate. They can eat that gravel and get bound up…

2 Likes

Wonder if there are forums out there for eating leftover joints! Lmao :rofl::rofl:

Edit: inside joke for those who don’t understand. Sorry…

2 Likes