Cold Germination

Just be super careful, use 2 toothpicks to toss the shell off it. Very nice :ok_hand: your a pot farmer…:sunglasses:

I have also used needles, stick pins and tweezers to help removing the seed husk. Spraying husk and even droplets of water from a syringe. Just like @LoCoRock said, just be careful :+1::v:

@LoCoRock @repins12 @MrPeat @Skydiver

So we are at 1 week in the dirt soil was all dry today so I gave it a little more water! The kids be plant the didn’t poke out didn’t make it… wasn’t much surprised… the Plant in the second picture is also struggling. I noticed the soil was hard and dark one day after checking. thE first image you can see the leaf has a yellow tip… is this slight nute burn?? Picture number three seems to be doing pretty well!! Pic four is the plant the had the shell on and is why it’s a bit taller, however I still feel like it’s one of the better ones of the group. Today I lowered my light from 40 inches down to 35 inches. How’s it looking any issues or suggestions anyone is seeing?? Any more questions please ask thank you!!

Put them in a saucer and flood the saucer and let the water wick up and let the roots grow down to the water. A little at a time until you get a feel for how much water will wick up…you don’t need to saturate the pots but at least get the bottom half wet
Put a dome over top of them…just a clear container or some such thing and spray the leaves lightly with water a couple times a day…
Need high humidity about equal with the temps… so if 77f shoot for 77% RH

2 Likes

They all look fine, nothing to worry about. They’re not growing lanky and tall so the lights are probably good as well. You said they are only a week old right so they are gonna work on building roots for a couple days now. Sky mentioned a humidity dome if your not controlling humidity that’s a good idea for another week maybe not much more needed when they are done with seedling stage. But ya good work nice!!

1 Like

I’ve been keeping the humidity over 70% in the tent do I still need a done over them?? Would something like a zip lock bag over each work?? What do you mean by a saucer??

2 Likes

Saucer = small plate to put underneath the pot, helps prevent spills but also holds water for roots to UPtake. It was just an idea he’s suggesting to help out with whatever you had said. Also if you are keeping your humidity up at seedling stage levels (high, lol) then you don’t have to use the domes but they are a great help.

1 Like

Okay so using a plate and putting some water on the plate to pull the roots down basically???

1 Like

Exactly…wick up into soil about halfway up pot or less
I just put as many as I can fit in a saucer plant tray and add water a little at a time let it wick up and add more if needed until I see they have enough…the color on peat pots change wet v dry.

Here is a chart to use for temps/humidity during different stages of growth. Give or take but as close and you can

2 Likes

Yes! Thank You for posting the chart! I saw one like that the other day and have been doing my best to stick right in that chart! Also I will I have a one of those saucers so I will add some water to it tonight!! Thanks again!!

1 Like

@Skydiver @repins12 @LoCoRock @MrPeat is using unfiltered tap water to water the plants fine? I know it can sometimes have added chemicals or whatever the cities put it in. Didn’t know if this cause a problem?

Chlorine is added to tap and you need to off gas that over a 24 hour period in a bucket lid off. Sometimes they also use Chloramine and that won’t gas off. Check your county or city water supply web site and they will have a water quality report listing things. Chloramine is harder to get rid off but can be done. If you have a liquid Ph meter and PPM meter check your tap to see what its Ph is after sitting out overnight and check ppm too.
There are going to be other things in the water like calcium etc etc the thing about using tap is not knowing how much of what stuff and what type of say calcium in in there.
I now use RO water that has practically nothing in it so I can choose how much calcium I feed the soil critters etc.

Have you checked your taps Ph and ppm?
I did my first grow using tap water and was fine. I did adjust my Ph of water to around 6.5 or so and if I added any nutrients to the water then I would adjust it before feeding. I also checked the parts per million (ppm) of the nutrient mix too.
This is what I use for adjusting Ph when needed.

1 Like

Chlorine should be the only issue and the Pur does make a water filter that filters 99% of the chlorine out. When I switched to it, my issues went away. I let a 5 gallon bucket filled up and even after 7 days it still smelled of it. Thus the filter.

1 Like

The water that I am using is well water. My understanding is that even well water can have issues sometimes due to excessive minerals and even salts sometimes. :+1: :v:

1 Like

I use tap - mix nutes then adjust pH… I do not off gas or worry about Chlorine but my tapnis only 100Ppm n 7.6 ph

2 Likes

I did check and adjust the ph. these are what I have been using! They were recommended from a local grow shop. I have a filter so I will start using the filtered water. I have not checked the PPM however. What is the cost on one of these meters and what is the importance? Thanks.

@LoCoRock @repins12 @MrPeat @Skydiver so we are at week two. Down to three plants but they are all growing at about the same rate and as far as I can tell growing well! The one that didn’t make it I think was to close to my humidity and got to wet. Anyway. Here it is!! I took two pictures of each. So the first two pics are plant one. Picture 3 & 4 are plant 2 and picture 5 & 6 are plant Three which was the taller plant .

1 Like

Well of course I didn’t post it right but pics 1 and 3 are plant one and pics 2 and 4 are plant 2… sorry it’s so confusing! Thank you for all the help tho happy growing and quarantining

1 Like

Off and growing…looks.good fellow jolly rancher… Almost time to flip…lol

Parts Per Million meter PPM will read the amount of dissolved solids in a liquid. Growers use the meter to check how much feed is in the solution before feeding the plants.
Also is used to check the run off after watering to see how much the ppm are there too.
So you mix up a feed in the water and it reads 600ppm and then the run off reads 300 ppm showing the 300 difference so maybe next time you’ll feed at 800 ppm and check run off etc etc.
I don’t grow that way but feed the critters in the soil and don’t water to run off so don’t really check my ppm much anymore