Clone Cabinet Evolution

Thank you. Hopefully will be trying to start some clones at some point in the near future, & maybe some mothers later on, but with different beans.

1 Like

Three faster ones, three slower ones…

I’ll get to the pac-man husk on the stem next time I go in there…

Thermpro: Probably fine for now but I can adjust air temp & rh up or down from here. Air temp exhaust fan runs for about 10 to 20 seconds, about every eight minutes or so.

Heat mat has been turned off, I haven’t stowed it away yet. I ran it only until they sprouted up.

1 Like

Roots out the bottom, so time for 4" netpots & planters.
A couple looked like they were starting to complain.

The Thermpro readout tightens up when everything gets cool enough to stay under the exhaust fan sensor setpoint. I’m fine with it either way. I’ll start checking & recording leaf temps & running the Leaf VPD numbers soon. Going by my past leaf temp checks, I’m guessing that they will be around 10f to 15f lower than the air temps at any given time.

PPFD meter says 180, which works out to a DLI of 15.5.

1 Like

It’s been about 12 days since I planted these into the rockwool cubes. I’m behind on my nutes, still on the first week ratio at 25% strength. Going to go to week2 ratio & a 60% increase in strength for the next few days, before going to the week3 ratio & maybe another little bump in strength.

The two on the left have had a couple necrotic spots on the first leaf sets since right before I stuck them in the 4" pots. The others started to show them, but they only kept developing on the two on the left. I think I may have used a dropper with some pH down on it to feed them with, not really sure. Not too worried about it at this point.

Thermpro readout: (Leaf temps have been running around 10 to 12f lower than air temps, when I have checked them.)

The front left plant already has a couple wispy roots poking out of the bottom.

Main Cab renovations are nearly finished, & it should soon be ready to accept one of these plants.

1 Like

Went to Week2 nute ratio for a day, & then Week3 nute ratio over the past couple days. 200ppm, 5.8 pH.

All have roots out the bottoms & are ready to go into a bucket.

Light was lowered by one link. PPFD 215, DLI 18.5 :

Leaf temps have been 10f to 12f lower than air temps, when I have checked them.

Leaf VPD Calculator

Thermpros:

Lung-room ambient:

2 Likes

I’m getting ready to pick one of these to move to the main cab within the next day or two. They are starting to get root-bound & I’ve already pruned some roots growing out the bottoms. They are ready to be moved into a bucket or bonsai root-pruned asap.

Still feeding week3 ratio @ 300ppm, 5.9-6.0 pH .

I’ll pick one to move, & I’ll bonsai at least some of the rest & keep in here for a minute, & I also want to get my aero-cloner going again. It’s been a while & I forget a couple details on exactly how I liked to use it, but I have had it going well before. Cloning was always a pita until I set up & dialed in the aerocloner.

The plants have started to clear the water dishes by the end of the day, & as a result, the leaf temps gained a little when I measured them tonight. Leaf temps tonight were more like 8-10f lower than air temps, vs. 10-12f lower when they weren’t clearing the dishes by the time I was measuring them.

Leaf VPD Calculator

2 Likes

Started them on Week4 ratio at 20% strength. PPM around 300.
pH a little high at 6.3, but they will be getting fresh nute-mix tomorrow.

Pruned some more roots out the bottoms, & filled up the trays with a little more water than yesterday.

Thermpros:

Lung-room ambient:

3 Likes

Great job on your plants and thread…Well done :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you. I have to pick one to plant in my main cab. Probably going to go with the ‘smelly stem test’ to see if one seems better than any of the others. The rest will be hanging around in here so I can practice some bonsai & some cloning.

2 Likes

Started bonsai root-pruning. After tapping out the lava below the net-pot & untangling the roots, I pruned them off leaving enough to hang into some water, after going back into the outer cup & into the water tray. But I didn’t put any lava back in between the bottom of the net-pot & the bottom of the outer cup.

I still have to do the two on the left, & I’ll get to them tomorrow:

3 Likes

Took care of pruning the final two last night.

Ramen noodles: I pruned them as posted above.

Live or die.

I raised the Thermpro & RH sensor up. Probably time to raise the fan temp sensor up also.

Thermpro in warmer air now:

3 Likes

Pruned the lower growth & topped the plants, leaving two internodes each. I may go to one internode each. Also I have been pruning roots as they grow out of the drain-holes.

I raised PPM to 400 for the past few days, & then back down to 325-350 for today & will run that for the next few days. Nute ratio is GH Flora ‘Week4’. pH has been around 6.0. I reduced RH target slightly.

Thermpros:
(Leaf temps are running about 10f lower than surrounding air temps/ Leaf-temperature offset is around -10f.)

Leaf VPD Calculator

3 Likes

Nice and healthy :grinning:

2 Likes

Time for more bonsai root-pruning:

Also defoliated the main fan leaves. Cut a main top off of the one in the middle by accident :

3 Likes

Still alive:

I could probably take a few small cuttings from them, but I’m not ready to do that yet. I should verify that these are females, they should have some preflowers onboard by now.

Thermpros: Leaf temps running around 10f under air temps:

Lungroom ambient:

3 Likes

Warming up the cloner:

I wanted to add a little red to the spectrum for the clones & tried going back to all-LED 6400k + 2x 5000k first, but it was still slow to get up to temp.

Settled on keeping one 6400k fluro in the middle, flanked by the two 5k 10w LED conversion tubes. Pretty soon it will be warm enough for me to go all LED again.
DLI should be pretty low under my screen-shade, probably under 10. I have to measure it again after changing around bulb combos a couple times after initially measuring. This pic still has the all-LED combo.

1 Like

Took some cuttings today. I forget a few things about running this cloner, such as if I used to mist the leaves or not, but I’m trying no-mist this time. I have the humidifier now, which wasn’t there the last time I had the cloner dialed in. I think I used to go with one misting a day for the first couple days, & that was it.

The stems hang above the water-line & have been scored to release the natural rooting hormones. I forget if I had been successfully running RO water in the cloner, of if I had eventually decided that tap water worked better. I’m going with RO now, & I’ll switch if it doesn’t work out. There are about 3/8 of a gallon in there, & I added 5ml H2O2 & a couple drops of SM90, then pH’ed to 5.8 . No superthrive because I seem to remember that causing issues, although you’d think it would be great for this. Water is around 75f, & will be changed every couple days.

Fluro in the middle, LEDs outboard. DLI is about 8 under the screen, & 25 across the tops of the moms. I may lower the light one chain-link after today.

The moms could probably use a pruning & a root-pruning, but I’ll keep them as-is for now so I can take more cuttings from them soon, if I need to try more rounds in order to dial in the cloner. These are a little yellow & I think there is a slight lock-out issue. I noticed the run-off had low pH. I then used more drain-to-waste water (captured & tested separately), & that seemed to help bring the waste pH up. So I will be using more drain-to-waste water when watering to see if that helps overall, or if these are out-growing their confines no matter what.

I’ll post a Thermpro chart once the box shows stability, but air temps should end up around 78-80f, & RH should be around 55-65% like it was before.

2 Likes

I must have been misting my cuttings the last time I used this thing, because I checked these after a couple hours, & they were badly wilted, layed over & flat against the top of the cloner. I then sprayed them with some RO water, & they sprang back for the most part within a few hours. The two on the ends of the row on the right are still not looking great, but all would probably would have been fine, had I misted from the start. I’ll check on them a couple times a day for now. Here they are today, after I cut some of the leaf-tips away & sprayed them:

Not dead yet:

Set the temp a little lower for the cuttings:

Lung-room ambient:

2 Likes

Clone cab update:

My first run in the cloner didn’t sprout roots, so I made some minor adjustments to my process & managed to get four out of ten fresh cuts to sprout some roots after about two weeks. I potted them, & three are still living. They are starting to put roots out the bottoms. I managed to lose track of which mothers they came from.

The mother plants are still alive & still hanging on after having been pruned & root-pruned a few times so far. They could be doing better, could be doing worse. I also gave them fresh lava after a major top & root pruning which took the root balls down to 1x1x1.5". That was a couple weeks ago, & they’ve already needed a full root prune below the net pots & another topping across the mains.

Running my two 6400k 30w LED conversion tubes now:

Thermpro readout:

2 Likes

Clone Cab update:
Still alive, I keep pruning & root-pruning them.

Thermpro: Ambient temps are climbing, so the box temp is a little higher overall, & RH is a little lower. Also the humidifier could use a fill.

2 Likes