Chlorine in water

Hello everybody hope you’re all doing well. I’m curious how everybody takes chlorine out of their water? Do you boil it do you let it sit do you use vitamin C? Thank you very much for your time and your feedback

1 Like

Fill up your container , throw an air stone in there and give 24 hrs :+1:

5 Likes

When feeding tap water I just fill a couple of gallon jugs and let them sit for a couple of days to gas off. Watt-Sun makes a good point that you can accelerate the process with an air stone.

6 Likes

Go to the walmart aquarium area.
You can get an air pump, stone and line cheap.
I do my water overnight.

6 Likes

Thank you for everybody’s feedback. I you have my old aquarium setup in storage. I guess I could grab the stone and pump. I just don’t have a lot of room. And I don’t like boiling the water and then letting it sit and cool off. I’ve been using vitamin C but it throws the ppm’s off.

1 Like

Home Depot sells a ‘pond dechlorinator’ that works on chlorine and chloramines (which don’t dissipate like chlorine). I use an air stone and usually put a couple of tablespoons of peroxide in which attacks the chlorine particles.

2 Likes

Heat it up and it’ll go quicker with the air purge.

2 Likes

I found this. I’m going to get some and give it a try. Thank you again for the feedback.

I use an inline charcoal filter

5 Likes

I’ve been looking for something along those lines for a minute, most I find are on Amazon, an RV filter and have mixed reviews. Prefer to go by someone here that’s used the product, what brand is that so I can Google it? Thanx.

I just let my tap water sit for 24 hrs. I can smell chlorine coming out of the tap after a day or so I can’t smell it

2 Likes

Make sure that your municipality uses chlorine instead of chloramine. Chlorine will off gas, chloramine won’t. Fwiw I also use air stone when applying municipal water.

1 Like

@Sativafan it’s just one or the cheap RV inline filter I just looked for one the actually said chlorine, and mold there’s a list but those were the ones I was concerned with

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z5D7GTL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

@MeEasy thank you. I’m going to look into one of these.

1 Like

They’re like 25 bucks and because I don’t worry about ph I water straight out of the hose in summer the water is to cold in the winter so I fill some jugs and let it warm up. The filter does not fix ph so you still have to ph like you do now

1 Like

This is your best bet (just size appropriately and change after xxx number of gal)
Use coconut Based activated carbon for chlorine (city water) and use coal based activated for well water source (change VERY often)
GAC (granular activated carbon) is fine and the one i like to use (you can buy a CU FT for like $80 (pennies to fill a cartridge) but if you have to do it “inline” instead of mounting it to a wall or something then use the carbon block style (you wont hear anything in it if you shake it) It does not have to be upright to filter properly and you will find them at every hardware store but for a HUGE mark up.

12 years in the water filtration industry…shhh don’t tell anyone 0_o

1 Like

If your more worried about trace elements than $$$ you can use catalytic carbon…im guessing around $120-$140 per CU FT(it will handle a broader spectrum of elements)

A quick side note… yes you can use chlorine to rejuvenate carbon BUT its far better to use peroxide (you can get a gal of 7% for cheap at a hardware store) you will not overdose and break down the carbon like chlorine will

@anon4427090 I’m obviously not to bright lol I said charcoal then posted a carbon filter. Are you saying this is a good choice to clean out the chlorine? That’s my concern and why I use a filter, I’m running approximately 10-15 gallons/ week figuring I would change it out once a year. I’m sure it’s gonna be a answer like it depends on how dirty the water is. But I’m asking anyways, again not to bright lol

1 Like

You can use the term Charcoal and Carbon interchangeably.

Yes if just Chlorine is your concern then it will do fine just don’t run it faster than the filter calls for (im guessing 2.5 GPM) and swap it a little before the end of capacity would be a “Best practice”

give me a sec and ill try to work some amazon magic 0_o

1 Like

Refillable Filter

https://smile.amazon.com/Refillable-Empty-Water-Cartridge-CuZn/dp/B01GIHSECO/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Refillable%2Bfilter%2Btank&qid=1610816230&sr=8-2&th=1

The housing or any equivalent 4.5in x 10 housing make sure it is not see threw so light does not grow algae (just hook up to water source PVC / Hose fitting/ water balloon your sitting on…whatever)

https://smile.amazon.com/DuPont-WFPF13003B-Universal-000-Gallon-Filtration/dp/B007VZ2O0Q/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=10+x+3%2F4+filter+housing&qid=1610816350&sr=8-16

This is the stuff but i suggest you look up a local filtration supplier (if they will sell you retail) or a local residential filtration company (they will sell at at mark up)) and ask them for a CU FT of 12x40 (pronounced 12-40) Coconut carbon it was like $60 or $70 a bag (maybe they will sell you a half bag…we have to split them up for some filters anyway and are always looking to get rid of / use the half bags) last i looked and you can fill that up like 50 times.

https://smile.amazon.com/Filter-Coconut-Granular-Activated-Charcoal/dp/B07K1RX3S3/ref=sr_1_7?crid=RJE96UIS2B3B&dchild=1&keywords=activated+coconut+carbon+powder&qid=1610816516&sprefix=activated+carbon%2Caps%2C181&sr=8-7

1 Like