Bugs close to harvest, what should I do?

New grower here. She ain’t the biggest or most impressive but man has it been a experience. I honestly have enjoyed checking on my “girls” and tending to them, almost as much as I enjoy smoking. I can’t imagine what it would be like to smoke your own stuff you grew and cared for. It’s been enjoyable Reading, researching and now reaching out to others and learning. I’m not quite there yet, I’ve had some up and downs and learning curves to say the least. I just checked on them and 2 of the 3 have wat looks to be poop or small bugs. I did notice some dots on the underside of the leaves as well, I did forget my Loupe, so I wasn’t able to see beyond the naked eye. I had read in another forum as long as you have white pistols you’re still growing. She def has some. And tri are still clear at last look…BUT major issue with these bugs have popped up. This close to finish, and I may not
Be as close as I think, but with buds I should say. Do you treat the plant now or is it too late because it’s flowering. And will this be smokable, with the bugs!? I don’t think i will get much off these because the buds and in general are small, but I’d love to get a little just to smoke what i grew. These plants are fairly small and a lot of that is from me with error and not good gentics . (Bag seeds) any help would be appreciated!

1 Like

Also I’ll add I seen a small patch of white in one leaf tonight. Its been really humid here for past week or so. Is there anything I can use for bugs and the white powder mold?

You have to do your best to identify the type of insect you have. You might be able to buy some safers soap and mix according to the instructions, spray both sides of the leaves thoroughly, and get lucky? But without knowing what you have there its a tough guess? What I can say is that marijuana has a long way to go yet, so you could get a hnadle on this in plenty of time. I would caution against neem oil in flower though.

1 Like

@Cannabian thanks for your input. I’m
Going to visit them tomorrow and take my jewelers loup And find Excatly what I’m
Dealing with. As far as the powdery mildew, I’ve been researching and read a lot about spraying 3% peroxide, have you ever used this? As far as I could tell it was only on one leaf. I did pull it and discard it. It’s been in flower for about a month. How much longer do you think it has to go?

From what I can see, its only just starting to flower. As for powdery mildew, yes Ive had it before, and generally I strategically remove it from my plant and determine what I can do to change my environment. Normally alchohol and water will kill it.
You will notice the calyx’s will slow down production and many older ones will shrivel up. This is the time you want to look at the bud closely with a jewelers loupe. You can decide at the level of amber you would enjoy and harvest then. That could be a few more weeks at least

1 Like

She’s showing preflower but you gotta get those bugs under control. I’m dealing with bugs early in veg outdoors. Find out what bugs by checking early am. All bugs eat early it seems like so best time to take pics for a recommendation.

1 Like

@Kevfrmthestl @Cannabian I got some pics this morning. I stayed up late last night researching, worried I’d lose them, found some threads on h202 so I hope I haven’t messed up but this is what I did. Removed all poop I could, removed all bugs I could and then turned plants on there side and sprayed bottom leaves and then tops of leaves and lightly on bud. I used 3% hydrogen peroxide and diluted it 50%. Here are some pics. And also not to sound foolish but, preflower? I thought i was in flower? You’ll see in last pic I belive to powdery mildew I removed. The leaf with the yellow blotches is that a disease as well,septoria Mabe ? And there was one bug I couldn’t get a pic of. I did have one small
Piece of web on leaf so
I belive I have mites, and aphids. Any help appreciated! And also does that look like
Some
Of tris are turning amber!?t.

1 Like

That’s an infestation geezus. I hope it works out for you but lots of larvae there. Make sure you hit them again in a week. It will be a fight to the finish. That worm looking thing is the bane of my existence right now. I’ve had a couple and trying to keep them dead and the plants coated is tough.

1 Like

@Kevfrmthestl dude u just gave me a reality check! I hope the h202 works, thinking if it looks like it hasn’t phased it may step up to straight 3% I’ll post pics later in a week or so just to see if it worked or not. Good luck on your grow, hope you get things under control, got a pic of your baby?

It’s a battle you must win @Baney. I do believe you can use capt jacks during flower @Cannabian correct? if that solution you’re using doesn’t work. I’ve seen it worse in plants before during that time. You’ll have to work to keep them under control. Move that plant away from the one that isn’t infected until you spray it. I would spray that one to be preventive so even if they do jump ship to the other it’s been treated. You don’t want 2 with the same problem. Keep battling those bugs kill em all! If you can since they are in pots move them someplace less wooded. Less chance of them coming back.

1 Like

Maybe try a predator like lady bugs to eat them up and then try to just keep your plant sprayed with things to prevent? Maybe get some DE to sprinkle onto your medium? Maybe some more experienced growers could tell you if this route would work though…

1 Like

@Kevfrmthestl mission accepted. Good tips. If this don’t work I’ll check into that. I’m looking at this first grow as a building block. I’ve learned a lot along the way. Those bugs man! :man_facepalming: I got my first taste of couldn’t sleep last night. I’ve smoked for years but never grown any, I dunno man something about it. Checkin on it, tending to it. Kindly connected to it lol I imagine a cool fall day cutting my plants, Giving a h202 bath, with the sun beaming down on me and a gentle breeze. Then curing and smoking on a hillside with the leaves changing and the smell of autumn in the air. Then I think of me cussing and throwing things because it’s all infested! Lol :joy: Its been fun, I’m going down swinging!

2 Likes

Thanks @Shaggy. You think the lady bugs would stay where it’s outside? They’d have plenty of food so Mabe? I had read some
On the de, I think it would be a good tool
To have ready in my arsenial. This first grow I’m tryin to figure what’s best and then have what i need for future grows. I had read this on the forum and i did try it. I sprayed pyrethrin in a circle around the plant to keep plants from crawling into it, but I don’t know if they could climb slick bucket, I’m guessing the bugs come
From the bagged soil? But the caterpillars you’d think def would have had to crawl up to it.

Yrah that plant is a few weeks into flower for sure. I think you are on the right path. You may want to get some safers soap and douse the whole plant in that. You have plenty of time for it to wash out, do it at least 2 times in as many weeks.

@Baney because you’re outdoor, I’m sure they’ll fly away after a day or so. But I bet a couple would stick around and eat them up. Or at least help you get it more under control. I mean, I dont think it would hurt to try. They’re usually really cheap for a ton of them. You could get them and try. Might even help keep bugs from coming back since they’d eat all the bugs and aphids in the area. Like I said, a more experienced grower could help more I’m sure. I do indoor myself and I need some DE myself.

Hang in there man! You’re almost to the scenario but really be diligent the next few weeks with this method if it works try to keep ahead with it. Check them everyday… NO MERCY! We all had a first grow and you definitely learn what not to do after you do it. I’ve done this before and still screw it up ever now and again. I planted seeds at the end of June in 100 degree heat. Like what could go wrong. Everything :joy:

1 Like

Yeah that infestation looks like a challenge-- but theres a lot u can do, even in flower. Spraying with water to knock them off, spraying with water with insecticidal soap (if u dont have insecticidal soap, use very mild dishsoap like Ivory- just a couple drops in water. )
A product called Mosquito Bits, when watered in, will start killing the larva in the soil. But something extra u could do would be to remove and disgard the top 2 inches of substrate in ur pot because usually thats where the most larvae are.
Remove that soil, sprinkle mosquito bits, replace the soil – with new soil!, and cover with some type of mulch or hay. Sprinkle diatomaceous earth on the surface but only when its dry. (Water deactivates DEs ability to kill soft bugs.)
I really like that suggestion to get lady bugs. Maybe you could make a little “tent” out of tulle to put over the plant to keep the lady bugs there a little longer?? Tulle is the fabric used to make bridal veils. Its extremely lightweight and lets sun and rain thru. Some gardeners use it to keep birds off tomatoes.
Diluted peroxide on mildew is good.
There is a fertilizer/soil amendment called neem-karanja, that has an insecticide property and is safe for the plant. I mix it in the soil.
I have heard of wiping bugs/aphids off of leaves with a q-tip dipped in alcohol.
And for whatever chemicals or products u use remember, the last 2 weeks growers usually flush the plant to get the nutes out. This will get other chemicals out too.
Except oil! Thats why u never use Neem oil once u are in flower.

Oh yeah one other thing, u usually defoliate a couple times in flower anyway. That means removing the leaves with long stems. So u can remove badly infested leaves too.

2 Likes

@Shaggy I like the way your thinking. And @Tenga had a great idea of using a a meshy vail material to hold them in. This is actually perfect because I have the cages i pad around them while they were young. I built them big enough where they’d still fit now. Droop the material over and bam a all natural solution. Crazy to think lady bugs serve such a purpose. Literally had a infestation earlier this year in our home I sucked them all up with sweeper, if I’d known I’d kept those suckers alive in a fish tank or so. Really diggin this idea.

@Tenga thanks for the in depth reply. All good suggestions. The soap i Have blue dawn soap that we wash dishes in Would this work? Checking on material and the mosquito stuff now online. And like the idea of removing top 2” so simple, and I could see how that would really be benificial. Why i came here. It’s awsome to get this knowledge. A lot has been trail and error but it’s good to get good direction and advice from others. Soakin it all in. The leaves that’s good to know because I pulled a few, wasn’t sure if they needed I had read somewhere there like solar panels not to remove, but that may be for veg.?

Yes this forum is an awesome resource of info and nice people! Im a new grower and grow outside. Ive been plagued by bugs and mold in my vegetable garden-- so I understand the ongoing fight of pest management. But the more u learn, the better ur arsenal against them!
I like ur spirit!! :+1:t3::+1:t3:
I think mild soaps are like Ivory or Castile. But if Dawn is all u have if it were me I’d use it. But just a couple drops in a couple quarts of water. U have one of those sprayer thingies? Then after the sudsy spray, rinse with plain water since the soap was a lil harsh.
Also, drag the pot somewhere else before u tip it over and spray (other side of the yard). And before u bring the pot back, spray that area heavily with soapy water and Capt Jacks or whatever u have.

2 Likes