Boveda packs. What's the deal?

To those who have used Boveda, or similar humidity agents, what is your process and opinions.
I’ve heard and read differing opinions. Boveda says after drying, put a pack in your jar of buds and do NOT burp. Others say cure first, then add Boveda.
To be honest, I bought them thinking I wouldn’t have to fool with burping. What’s y’alls experience?
@peachfuzz @BigDaddyCain @Bogleg @Covertgrower @Big123 @blackthumbbetty @anybody

2 Likes

Ok I don’t put them in unless I’m smoking from that jar I put 2 62% packets in whatever jar I am smoking from but that’s my preference. But during cure you want the moisture from inside buds to come to outside if you don’t burp them you will get mold and a funky taste. Also the reason I do 2 is my bigger jars hold just over 2 oz and the packets only do 1oz for 1packet that’s why I do 2 but again you have to cure it right if you are going to start a stock pile like I’ve been trying to do but I smoke to much for that lol

4 Likes

There’s a thread here on boveda.

I now ONLY use them after cure is finished. One 62% 8g pack in a quart jar. No burping. It’s for storage.

Also, I don’t care what boveda says, every pack I’ve ever used has taken on a funny “sour“ smell after a few months. This seems to transfer to the stored buds. It doesn’t affect taste or potency. So I use a fresh pack every time, and try to “use” the bud within a few months.

8 Likes

It never last for a few months

6 Likes

:rofl::rofl::joy::+1:

5 Likes

Yes that’s why I don’t store with them in the jar and my flavor and smell stays the same only the jar I am currently use if gets them rest stays nice and dry in me vacuum sealed amber mason jars lol

2 Likes

Boveda told me, in an email, to use after curing.

Tbh, I have only used them for long term storage of weed. After 3 or 4 months of curing, I MIGHT put in a Boveda if I think about it.

4 Likes

I bought them and never used them. I dry and cure. I get my RH to 62% then I close the jar to seal them. My RH needs to sit for at least a week with no movement before I’m happy

4 Likes

Never used em, once my weed us cured the jars are sealed and only opened when the herb is to be consumed.

3 Likes

Boveda packs work very well for storage and curing.
Do not attempt to use the packs for curing you will end up with mold. if I were to buy more packs I would prefer the 52% instead of the 62. evidently for smoking, cannabis needs to be drier. I prefer vaping, so 62% works for me but not everyone else in the house.
The packs are reusable however, sometimes they dry out and you have to rehydrate them. just put a shot glass with water in a quart jar and seal it and after a couple weeks they will rehydrate.

Never noticed a sour smell before I have to start paying attention. @Drinkslinger

6 Likes

I add a pack or 2 depending on size of jar after curing process about over, and flowers in the approximate state of desired dryness. I am using 62% and 58% packs currently.

2 Likes

I’m not understanding. I thought they would prevent having mold because they would keep moisture regulated

1 Like

I stopped using them for my bud storage, I store all my buds in mason jars and after a few weeks curing, they remain sealed until I start smoking on that jar, sealed jars don’t need anything to maintain humidity, the whole being “sealed up” keeps the humidity in. I only use them now for community jars that I leave out for people to take buds as needed so those jars get opened a lot.

4 Likes

They can only take in so much moisture before they’re full and won’t take on anymore.

4 Likes

I like this idea mate. How does it work

1 Like

Exactly @Grandaddy013 if your nugs are wet, and still giving off moisture, they’ll continue to, and then the mold will let you know how you’ve failed yourself by not drying enough before jarring.

1 Like

Man they work awesome. But put a mini humistate in there and go through the burp until stable rh fpr cure. Like 62-65rh…Then pack jar with bovada and burp once a month or more…biy the 8 gram for ounce jars…

2 Likes

I don’t have that problem. I will start burping jars and then forget. Never had a problem with bud rot or mold (knock on wood).

2 Likes

I have some hanging now. Should be any day now. After trimming and putting in jars, I will put boveda in a couple and burp the rest. Then after about 2weeks will report the results. The main reason I bought them was because I saw a video of a grower in Colorado that used them for curing. Burping jars is such a PITA. Especially if you’re doing a couple of lbs a month. He would put his in large plastic bags and throw in a few of the #67 size packs.

@Covertgrower I believe a lot of times people get in too big of a hurry and don’t properly DRY their buds before jarring them. If the stem bends and dosen’t SNAP, it ain’t dried enough yet.

3 Likes

Most of my issues can be directly resolved by not being lazy. But I sometimes I have a lot going on and I don’t have the time to keep after it.

2 Likes