BigCats perpetual grow

Just got the autopot today! Ive been crazy busy tho and wont have time to mess with it till probably next week which will be fine because im ordering push fittings for the whole setup and future setup which will probably take a week to come in anyways. Just got home from doing a furnace install in O fallon IL almost 2 hours away to help my sisters business and im pooped. Work wasnt hard but dealing with idiots in traffic about did me in lmao

5 Likes

This is my thinking, only I was gonna start in 1 gal and transplant into 5. I figure the goal is rooted into 5 gal and on the system as fast as possible. It has become clear to me that the autopot is far, far better at maintaining propper moisture level then I will ever be able to do by hand.

2 Likes

My last run went long on ripening and we had a trip planned, so I filled the reservoir to the top and it lasted 12 days with a couple of gallons to spare. That’s part of the beauty of Autopots.

2 Likes

so how does this bottom feed process work? the roots grow through whatever media is in the bottom two inches of the pot and they drink that way? it sounds pretty straightforward but I also remember it being hammered in my head when starting to keep the fabric pots on risers and out out of the runoff. also, what prevents the flooding of water if the plants are sitting below the water level? I just keep thinking of the pool where if you disconnect the hose, it floods. lift the hose above the water level and it stops. appreciate any/all info!

2 Likes

Autopots have a two way valve in the tray that regulates how much water is needed in the tray. When the water level drops the valve opens to refill until the water level closes the second valve. The plants absorb water from the bottom up so it’s not like they are sitting in run off. Thats why Autopots doesn’t recommend top watering as you’ll be pushing accumulated salts back down into the root zone. The grow medium stays moist but not wet the whole time allowing the plant to use what it needs.

2 Likes

the more I learn about these, the more I learn towards this setup instead of making my own running off pumps. already hard enough playing outlet musical chairs for the lights, fans, dehumidifier, etc. That as well as the growth from frequent feedings that none of us have the time to do hand watering.

1 Like

I had a lot of success going from three down to the 5 gallon. I used air pruning Potts Witch on screw and open up and dropped it right in the five down auto pot back. That’s what I’m gonna do until I get another system transplant siblings into three down then insert a 5 gallon.

1 Like

You could totally do that that would technically be like a flood and drain system. They make all kinds of those, and you can make your own in one thing if not the most enticing thing about the auto parts for me is the fact that they use no electricity. We all use enough electric as it is lol.

4 Likes

Pumps have moving parts and rely on electricity. Power goes out, plants dont drink.

Runoff is an accuulation of everything water soluble that exists in your soil. The water travels down through the dirt collects salts and bacterias and runs them out the bottom in solution. You dont want to leave your plant in that kinda mess. Autopots bring clean nutrient solution to be taken up by the soil, nothing in it but nutes. Big difference in what the pot is sitting in. Its also important to mention that the tray doesnt stay all the way full all the time, like say an automatic dog water bowl filler. The aqua valve doesnt refill the tray until it is first emptied by the plant. In this way the plant is in control of the flow, allowing for a wet to dry cycle to occur.

3 Likes

power outages :grimacing: the time where you don’t want anyone getting within 20 ft of your doors until the exhaust fans go back on! but I appreciate the clarification on that! unless I just haven’t maneuvered around on the site enough, it definitely seemed like it could use a touch more info on the detail side of things. I figured input here from people actually using the auto pots as well as some YouTube vids and I’ll narrow things down from there :+1::v:

2 Likes

The best way right there. Ive been using the system for almost 2 weeks and I am very pleased with how they work.

2 Likes

Alright so i have to admit ive been slacking on this grow. Its now day 9 of flower in the flower tent. I finally moved the veg tent to the flower tent and until i get my autopots arranged im gonna start some veggies for the front yard. Been super busy and everytime i try to apply my LST trainers or supercrop branches snap in half. Due to this I’ve been doing kushman chiropractics on the bigger branches to try and slow them down but ive got the canopy just about even besides a few branches that got really tall and 1 short plant that needed a boost. All seems to be going really well. Sweet skunky cake smells from the super smash cake and a skunk smell from the red hot cookies. I wanna say they smelled the smell but thats probably unlikely and I’ll smell again later and try that before the suepr smash cake to get a good idea on the flavor profile that it might have. The ladies were crammed but now they have plenty of room. Sorry the pics are out of order but bottom to top you’ll see the move from veg to flower tent

1 Like

Super smash cake and red hot cookies. Super smash cake has the big dark green leaves. Then some pics of @SparkUp’s baby miss luna sunbathing and looking to see what im up to

6 Likes

was that the framing your tent came with or did you upgrade it? I have a 10x5 and I believe it’s an ipower with the small white bar frames and corner pieces. I’m not sure how sturdy it will be for 2 scorpion diablos plus the 4 uva lights. definitely don’t want to find out the hard way on this possible predicament

1 Like

Maybe havnt gotten the attention you normally give but they still look happy and thriving . I’m sure they will end up good brother . Nice work!

2 Likes

Yeah those are vivosun tents. Ive definitely put them to the test but ive only had one bend on me because my fiances cat pictured above kept jumping on the tent eventually causing it to bend. The ones in the flower tent have at least 80 lbs on them because the growers chocie roi e 720s are heavy lol. I think they are 38-42 lbs each and i have 2

1 Like

Im looking for someone who does 3d printing or has a 3d printer and wouldn’t mind making some extra money. Got a set of new headlights for my focus and after installing the aftermaket leds one lid per side doesnt go on. Really just need the same design made but deeper by 0.5-1 inch as i had to cut 1 per side to get my h1 leds to fit. Haven’t actually measured it but i figured anyone willing to take the job on i could send the current cut lid (vapor cover) and get measurements on how much it currently sticks out. Heres what the lid looks like. Maybe @CoyoteCody wouldnt mind helping? I know hes has a few classifieds posts on ebay of stuff he makes with his 3d printer but im not sure of many others

2 Likes

Those eyes and that stare! :heart_eyes_cat: :heart_eyes_cat: :heart_eyes_cat: I have a torty too (long hair and eyes that pierce your heart). A feral who adopted us almost 10 years ago… she’s my avatar pic.

3 Likes

Let me see what i can do.

1 Like

Do you happen to be on Instagram or have one of those ebay listings saved? Just trying to see how we can touch bases.

1 Like