Basic noob questions

Thanks for the input. I wonderd if it would be a tight fit vertically with hps

I just harvested my first “SOG” (I’m not still sure I’d call it that).

What I intended to do:

I am using a 3x3 flood tray with a 40 gallon reservoir under it. I lined the bottom of the tray with river rock, and intended to run 16 (4 rows of 4) or 25 (5 rows of 5) clones all at the same time - straight from the cloner into flower. That was my original intention. I intended to stagger each row one or two weeks apart. So I’d put 4 clones in the tray, then a week later, add four more… the idea was eventually trying to figure out a perpetual system.

In any case, the first week I put four clones in there - two Cindy 99s and two Crystal Blues (also by Brothers Grimm)… and two weeks later I added one more of each (total of six)… then I ran into issues getting clones to root, so didn’t have an viable clones until three weeks later.

Well… by that time the six I had in there were well through the stretch:

I added an ILGM chronic widow monster clone to it, so a total of seven plants. As you can see… I quickly decided I didn’t need to add anymore plants to the tray. But the lack of pots over the river rock caused me issues - in the form of algae developing in the tray. I had expected I would have the entire tray covered with fabric pots… but because I only got 7 plants in there, I didn’t succeed there. Lesson learned for the next iteration.

In any case all the plants except the monster cloned Chronic Widow grew 5 times their original size. When I put them in there they were 8" tall clones. Heh. I had expected I’d end up with single cola 16" clones, not plants I had to super crop to keep off the lights.

This was my first time trying this… I’ll be starting up again from seed in January (gonna try 12 seedlings heh). In any case I just harvested 17 zips and change (not including the CW clone, which I haven’t trimmed yet) from the tent.

I run Citizen COBs (CLU48-1212’s in 3000K/90cri). I have three rails of 5 COBs each. For this grow I kept them dimmed and ran the grow at 500Ws. Full-on they pull 600w.

Bag appeal-wise this wasn’t my best grow - I had a lot of foxtailing on the Crystal Blues - but yield-wise and gram/watt wise, it was. I totaled out (again, not counting the CW clone I haven’t weighed yet) 494g… so I almost made it to 1g/watt, which is where I’d like to be.

Here is the best part of the whole grow though. I literally did no work. Once the plants were in the tray, I refilled the 40gal tote twice during the whole grow. The only training I did was super cropping the main colas on 4 of the 7 plants due to height limitations.

I actually completely ignored them for two weeks while I went off hunting in November. Heh. Anyway, here’s a couple bud shots. Most of this stuff I am going to extract.

This last grow taught me an important lesson: I don’t need to make everything perfect and worry about every detail. These plants are really hard to kill. Hell, I had a couple mother plants in the veg tent that I took out and threw in a corner over two weeks ago in my basement… they’re still alive.

7 Likes

3 weeks in to flower. How’s it looking? I’m paranoid of Hermes am I ok here, I think they are all female I did order fem seeds from here. @PurpNGold74 @Bogleg @blackthumbbetty Thoughts?

3 Likes

They’re looking great. Definitely female b/c they’re growing female flowers.

At this point, if they hermie, it’ll be from severely stressing them. I wouldn’t worry too much about hermies, unless you’re growing unknown bag seed or seeds from a hermied plant.

2 Likes

That’s great to hear. I was fine until I seen those little sacks under the flowers then got a bit scared. Good to hear they’re looking great for 3 weeks in flower. I’m getting excited more with every day.

1 Like

Those sacs are calyxes. The female flowers are actually made up of stacks of them.

Once you harvest, don’t forget to pluck off those little single calyxes, too, b/c they’re fire. :grinning:

5 Likes

Will do, thank you @blackthumbbetty

:thinking::ok_hand::+1::v:

:grinning::+1::v::sunglasses:

Hahaha. It was alot to that post. Still not sure i said it right. :joy::joy: thanks for the likes

Dude thanks for that. Pretty sure i summond u again :joy:. Yea. These plants are magical. N nice experiment. I guess it is overall a failure cuz that wasnt a rotation at all :joy::joy: but failure never looked so sweet!

I learned a lot by reading that post, you had great input and I now know when my Ph 6.5 going in and coming out, I must be doing better. Your welcome…:+1:

1 Like

What do you mean, “their fire”? I’m doing a lot of reading before I start my grow, Thank You, you always seem so helpful.

3 Likes

@roseofsharon she means they will light you up!!!

1 Like

Nice and healthy looking plants. Your blocks give me an alternative to what I was about to do in my jacuzzi room. I covered my jacuzzi with a tarp so I don’t ruin it and want to put something in it to raise plants up off the bottom, so they get more airflow. So, thank you.

1 Like

Is that a good thing? I don’t know anything, but I’m learning. I hope everyone doesn’t get impatient with me asking the questions that I do. But I think I need to know to do a good job.

2 Likes

They’re really good to smoke or use in edibles/oil. If it’s fire, it’s going to rock your world! :grinning:

3 Likes

1/6/19: I have been doing a lot of research. I am goin g to post my findings here then split this large post down into separate posts in plan a successful beginning. I think this may have just been too much to read and I have been able to get my questions more refined.

Hi all. First I want to thank all of you for the support you provide here. That being said, I am new to growing marijuana although I am a successful gardener. This seems a lot more challenging and after reading the posts throughout this forum, I’m a bit overwhelmed.

First I think I am going to go with peat pots to start the seeds, then I wanted to transplant to a good soil. I checked out fox farms, but am thinking ordering enough of these soils delivered is going to be really expensive, so I am hoping to develop a good soil blend for this purpose.
My Proposed Solution after researching**
Base Potting Soil

1/3 Fruit/Vegetable compost (organic)
1/3 75% Perlite 25% Vermiculite mixed
1/3 Coconut Coir

Amendments For Grow Soil (Added to above mix)

50% Base Potting Soil
25% Worm Castings
25% Crushed Pumice
–Per Instructions on labels
Dolumite Lime
Bone Meal
******************************************************* --Please Advise–

Second, I am beginning to grasp the soil ph balance issue but am a bit confused. Our tap water is between 7.6 and 8, so I guess I need to lower it to 6.5. I read somewhere (probable this forum), that adding vinegar (can’t remember the ratio I read) to the water will lower the ph. So, question 2, is this true and what is the ratio? Also, is this added then PH retested until it gets to 6.5.
Found while researching**
ap water from sink… pH read 9…
Add nutes to tap water… pH naturally drops to around 5
Add a couple mL of pH up to get it around 6.5
Water to runoff. Test runoff… it says 6.3
Nexttime pH up to 6.7 to try to get runoff at 6.5
No if runoff is 5.8 u know its wayyy to low for her to eat. So u give her water @ 7.0 to try n get runoff in range 6.3-6.8

Vinegar to lower according to a post found or just PH Up or Down

Which brings me to my third question(s). The wash. According to the growers bible, this is only necessary when there is a burn (or some other) problem that makes it necessary to wash out the soil. Risky as it oversaturates the soil.

Nutrition: I am planning on using Dyna Gro grow and bloom. I read in a post here that every feeding someone was adding cal mag at every feeding. Should I be doing that? How much? Only during grow stage or also during bloom stage?
Ok, so I have more questions than answers at this point (Another deer in headlights stare), but I am going to boldly step into this hoping to get good at it.

Which leads me to my last (I promise) question. I have 5 auto-flower seeds coming and 5 free ones. I guess the 5 free ones are not auto-flower and from what I have read are more difficult to grow. So, my plan is to start with the 5 auto-flower. I was thinking at one time of starting 2 of each the auto and the non auto, but then decided that I have a 5 x 6 grow room so did not want to over fill but also did not want to risk growing less than 4 plants (don’t ask me why, in my mind, I have done without it for so long that I am afraid I won’t have enough to last until the next harvest. Also, starting the auto ones seems the best idea because I was thinking I could try to root cuttings from those). My thinking is, if I start all 5 auto flowering seeds and one doesn’t make it, I’ll still have the 4 and if all 5 make it, I’ll make room .
I know I have asked more than my fair share, but I promise, when I get good at this (see there is hope) I’ll help other folks.

I missed this in this posting: This is the answer to one of my Questions: thankyou @PurpNGold74.:

Somewhat. Bare with me…

Tap water from sink… pH read 9…
Add nutes to tap water… pH naturally drops to around 5
Add a couple mL of pH up to get it around 6.5
Water to runoff. Test runoff… it says 6.3
Nexttime pH up to 6.7 to try to get runoff at 6.5

No if runoff is 5.8 u know its wayyy to low for her to eat. So u give her water @ 7.0 to try n get runoff in range 6.3-6.8

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

I’m biased. I know this. But as far as quality, ease, ongoing costs and tremendous results, please consider organic no-till growing.

Don’t leave your gardening experience at the door - use it! Cannabis is a plant. Grow it. It’s made out to be all special and unique. That’s a money grab by greedy hydro shops.

I stole everything I do from others that came before and I just try to spread the good news.

Check out my thread here (No-Till Gardening - #86 by Covertgrower

Or google no-till gardening if you’re interested.

(Then you can ditch your silly ph meter, too)

1 Like