Am I starting with enough watts

Are 35 watts per square ft going to produce halfway decent? I will only have 2 plants in a 4x4x80. Will they get enough light. This is what I have no room in the budget. Just bought led at 400 true watts $220 was the price. Now I am thinking I need to replace my led with 180 true watts. I am getting frustrated. I want it to be successful. My first grow with 3 autos was a disaster. Light fluffy buds. Low yield 1.5 oz per plant and not that good of cannabis. I messed them up from nutes. Too early I guess. This round will hopefully be different.

3 Likes

Experts will be along shortly. Welcome! I can’t really give an answer as I’m a noob but a good light are things we struggle with. Interested in the answer myself!

1 Like

Welcome ! I am a little confused, you say you have 400 true Watts and going to replace with 180 true Watts. What brand of light do you have? Lights is one of the most important things to be successful with a inside grow.

2 Likes

no, I am going to use both of them in the tent. With both lights, it is 580 watts. The first light is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S22KVH1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1The other one is a [Phlizon Newest 900W LED Plant Grow Light,with Thermometer Humidity Monitor, with Adjustable Rope, Full Spectrum Double Switch Plant Light for Indoor (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07527ZVFG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

For the price you paid, you should get the hlg qb135 rspec. You’ll be glad you did you’ll see WAY better results.

3 Likes

Oh, and I believe it’s good for 3×3, so you could get away with 2 plants for a little bit with it. I’m using a smaller one with 4 plants and they’re fine.

Yeah but that light is rated at 135 watts…not enough watts for 4x4x80

2 Likes

@dbrn32 should be able to help out with this he’s the light expert here lol but best of luck brother

1 Like

The hlg 135 R-Spec would be a excellent choice for a second light. If you have quality LED lights you can get by with less wattage. @Shaggy has got you covered. In the future if you wanted a upgrade on lights for your 4x4 space. Two hlg 260 V2 R-Spec XL. Would be a good choice. I just pulled 28oz’s of solid buds out of a 4x4 space with those two lights. Or if you wanted to buy one 260 and then later buy another one, you’d be set.

2 Likes

Photos or autos? Photos I’m assuming? Great advice though. I only recommended the cheaper one cuz he said something about his budget.

1 Like

It’s not always about watts. The hlg is more efficient. It would be a little short cuz like I said I believe it’s good for a 3×3, but if you have another light with it, you’d be fine.

1 Like

Autos this round.

I will remember that on the next light upgrade. Thanks.

2 Likes

That’s 4 plants in a 2 by 3.75 and they’re doing fine using the hlg 65 v2 4000k. Now, I know when I upgrade they’ll be a lot better, but I’d say that the big plant, which is an ak47 auto, looks good considering she got topped on accident, transplanted 2 times from horrible mediums and has had no nutes until last Thursday. And only 1 feeding.

2 Likes

If you only do one thing growing pot, spend some money on a decent light. I would way rather have 1 great plant growing in a 4x4 tent that and scraggly looking larfy one. As soon as someone says Amazon, I know the light is gonna suck. I know money spent badly leaves a bad feeling in ones stomach. Heres what I would do, use the cheapo for seedlings, maybe early veg. Get a decent light for your tent from HLG. If you cant afford to fill a 4x4 right away, so be it. No point spending good money on bad lighting, you will only spend more in the end. What you have done is scaled uo too fast, a better approach might have been to buy a smaller tent with a better light, however, a bigger tent can allow for better air movement around your plant so…

6 Likes

And he doesn’t have to use his whole tent at once right now… just saying. Lol.

2 Likes

I actually had two photo Gold Leaf and two Auto Girl Scout cookie extreme. The two autos finished up first as planned with a little over 8 oz’s combined. Got them out of the tent with plenty of space for the two gold leaf to finish up with a little over 20 oz’s solid buds with a total of the 4 plants 28 oz’s for Summer Grow . I’m very happy and also all set.

2 Likes

I agree completely with that

1 Like

I dont know my Amazon lights are pretty good lol. Just saying.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B081ZT6BMC/ref=sspa_mw_detail_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6 Likes

That’s cuz you knew what diodes and driver and stuff to look for before you got it I bet. Lol

2 Likes