8/2/21 White Widow & Gold Leaf

Dude, I apologize. I corrected my post. I mentioned to say Gold Leaf Feminized… I’m doing too many things at once…

Lol, yeah, photos are more sensitive for sure. Some strains / genetics will deal with minor leaks better than others but as a general rule you want it as consistently dark as possible through the “night” cycle.

That said, outside I’m pretty sure there’s still a moon in many nights and they do just fine in the wild so make of that what you will…

Perspectives seem to range from a little light is OK to sit inside the grow area in the dark and let your eyes adjust to look for the tiniest of leaks, tape over any LED displays on any hardware in the tent, etc…

I’m not sure you’re going to get a 100% reliable answer given that I really believe genetics play a big part in sensitivity of the plants.

Net / net is they should flower just fine, and if you have any concerns just keep a close eye daily for any “balls” developing…

2 Likes

Thank you my friend.

I planned on sealing up whatever leaks I can, which should be most, if not all of them.

Do you flip your photos based on time or size? I have been reading where when you flip to flowering, the plants can grow 2x to 3x the size they were before the flip.

1 Like

Always base everything on the plants themselves as opposed to a timeline. You can set markers based on time and have a loose plan but let the plant / growth be your final guide. 4-8 weeks of veg is probably the typical loose range.

My current photo just finished week 7 and will be flipped 12/12 this coming weekend.

Most of the growth you’re referencing is upward not outward if that helps for perspective. You’ll hear that referred to as the “stretch” which will happen in the first 2-3 weeks after flipping the light schedule.

This pic may help. Left is the photo plant, right is a Gelato Autoflower which is well into its stretch now since it didn’t wait for the upcoming lighting change…

4 Likes

I like how you train your plants, like I do, and with Autos too!

Lots more bud sites when done this way!
1 last thing to add, get one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00139NDWE?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
Eliminates over-watering and increases growth rate by 50% or more! :+1: :sunglasses:

1 Like

This particular Gelato Auto was FIM’d and had some LST (wire now removed obviously). I’m also running (and loving so far) the Autopot XL set-up. Growth has been amazing. This run is in Coco with the AN Sensi Coco line. All in my grow journal if interested. Its the one with “coco experience” in the title. :+1: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Can you use these with FFOF & FFHF?

2 Likes

It really doesn’t matter what your grow media is, the Auto-pot improves growth!
My 3 gallon fabric pots fit right in the plastic auto-pot and stick up 2 inches max. :+1: :sunglasses:

1 Like

You “can” run soil with Autopots, the question will become why would you…

Coco will make your life much easier frankly in many ways.

My current run is my first with them and first with Coco. I’m running that AN Sensi Coco line with RO water and haven’t had to deviate from the recommended dose yet, have not had to touch PH or anything… Simplicity at its finest really (finds some wood to knock on). The only downside of AN vs Jack’s is cost but right now I’m willing to pay the little extra for the convenience.

Coco is effectively very close to a hydroponic grow. Adding the Autopots alleviates the daily watering which is really the only downside to running Coco. I don’t see myself returning to soil for tent grows.

Far less chance of bug issues, nutes are fully controllable start to finish, IF you need a flush it takes far less water and its basically inert so corrects / changes quickly, etc… Can’t recommend the switch enough based on my experience so far.

2 Likes

Thank you and please excuse my ignorance. I appreciate the information.

I was curious as I water by first how dry the soil looks then by how light the buckets feel. So I had a over/under watering concern with that system as I did not understandhow it “knew” my plants needed water/nutes. Now it makes sense.

2 Likes

The Auto-pot completely eliminates this issue.
The bottom of the pots sits in about 1/4 inch of water and when it sucks that up?
The Auto-pot immediately gives it just that little bit of water it used.
It keeps the roots from ever getting over-watered!

1 Like

Not as concerned for the Auto-flowers, but what advice do you fine folks have for light intensity settings?

Gold Leaf Feminized, 32 days above soil. HLG 600R-SPEC.

Right now it is at 50% and 24" above most of the plant tops. Some are taller, some are shorter.

2 Likes

Nice ladies. I believe that your lights can go a few inches higher to 30.

Check out the “Photone” app. Costs a few bucks to buy the settings for full spectrum LED, but works pretty well. Its going to be REALLY hard for any of us to give a % / height recommendation since you’re in a slightly unusual environment (no reflections from tent, etc…).

You can measure the actual light across the canopy with that and it’ll be accurate enough without investing hundreds in an Apogee or similar.

1 Like

I think I used it correctly…
These numbers are AFTER I reduced the intensity. (See notes below).

I turned my light to 50% yesterday and today I got quite a bit of canoeing… I just turned it back down… these pics were taken 20 minutes after the lights came back on from a 6 hour nap.
Is 75° - 78° too chilly? 72% humidity.
Last watered with ph’d water on 9/4.

Ladies and gentlemen, temperature makes a big difference. With the seasons changing, my temperature hovered at 68°f. The girls started getting strange. Put a heater in and boosted temp to 78°f and all is green. Knock on wood.

3 Likes

Abby, 38 day old Gold Leaf Feminized in FFHF. Roots growing out of the bottom of the bucket.

3 Likes

9/12/2021 - Mosquito Bits for all today. Ester, Abby, Bonnie ,Sally & Christine did not need water at all. They got some DE on the tip of the dirt.

3 of the big White Widow Auto-flowers, Zoe, Theresa & Norma may need nutes with the water. Some yellowing on 1 or 2 bottom leaves.

If interested, see latest posts in thread below.

2 Likes

update.

Second light supposed to be delivered on Saturday.

Will most likely have to water again on Saturday or Sunday.

My rh is high I think. 65% - 75% opinions? Facts? I don’t want mold or bud rot. I’ll need a dehumidifier.

*****I know I am gonna need to feed some of them this time but I’m not sure which ones. I know that I can’t over water one time. Can I water until I get run-off from all my plants, measure tds, then water again with nutes if they need it? I would do the second water/feed immediately after I get the readings.

3 Likes

Yeah you don’t want humidity that high, specially in last month of flowering. A dehumidifier would be the safe way to go.

Just look for any plants with yellowing leaves (or real light green) on lower growth, that’s nitrogen leaving those leaves to fuel new growth since it’s not getting enough nitrogen from the soil at this point.

Yeah you could

1 Like