100% beginner on a (reasonable) budget

Thanks, @Drillbit and @raustin
I went ahead and did a stem split on the Super Skunk plant. It was also time to water it, so I mixed in some Advanced Nutrients Flawless Finish and will begin the countdown to harvest time…
I’m strapped for time today, so I’ll leave the White Widow for another day.

I am curious - is there an average time in your experience that you have seen the color change from cloudy to amber going from, say… 5 percent to 20 percent?

It can happen slowly, or really fast, like over night, so keep a close eye on those trichs.

2 Likes

After a 48 hour darkness period, I started to harvest Super Skunk #2 today. I started by cutting off three branches, cutting off individual buds and doing a wet trim. I am going to try drying these using the paper bag method. The rest I will do tomorrow - those I will hang the individual branches to dry in a closet.
From those three branches, I got 16.4 grams of trim and 2.57 ounces of wet bud.

Small amount from the last branch I did tonight:

One thing that troubles me is - when I was trimming the last small branch, I looked down and found a seed lying there! What does this mean? Did my plant turn into a hermaphrodite at the end? @raustin @blackthumbbetty @Drillbit @OldSchoolGrower what can you tell me about this?

3 Likes

Yep, seems she got too stressed during flowering. Turned hermie on you. Could be light leaks or a major trauma that would cause this.

1 Like

Thanks.
So… is the weed still good?

I always find at least one seed every harvest. It means that a bud hermied, not the whole plant, so don’t worry. You probably won’t find anymore seeds. Congratulations on the harvest!

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

For those that are interested, here’s a photo of my attempt at the paper bag method:

And, here’s the ones I hung to dry. I only trimmed most of the fan leaves off - otherwise I left them alone.

1 Like

Oh - in thinking about that seed… is it good for anything? Is it feminized or does it have a normal 50/50 shot at being feminine? The original plant is a feminine autoflower, if that matters.

I love that thing you have your buds hanging from to dry. Did you buy that or make it?

Thanks. I saw someone else using one either on this site or another. It is the perfect thing for drying buds. It is available at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W7WUI2/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

That is so cool. Thank you I’m going to have to get me one!

Here’s a picture from a better angle. It has 16 clips to hang from.

3 Likes

That thing is so awesome! And for the price you can’t beat it!

When I get closer to harvest I’ll have to invest in one of those.

1 Like

Well, tomorrow marks 12 weeks of flowering for my White Widow plant. It still has very little amber. It feels like it’s never going to happen, so I think I will begin flushing it tomorrow.
I’m disappointed because there was very little amber (about 5%) on all 3 of the plants I grew, which makes me think it was something about the environment that affected them. I’m curious if @raustin @blackthumbbetty @hangthebanksters @Drillbit @OldSchoolGrower @Hogmaster anyone has a theory on any aspect that may have caused this. Other than a low pH issue at the very beginning of the flower stage, this grow has pretty much been within all the recommended parameters.

IMG_3690

@TommyBahama I am experiencing my first grow, for my own knowledge. Are you 12-weeks from flipping to 12/12? Or 14-weeks with a two week transition? BTW are you a troll or a uper?

These are autoflower plants, so the lighting schedule you are referring to doesn’t apply here.
But, since you asked -
I ran 750 watts of High Pressure Sodium light 32 inches above the canopy for about the first 6 weeks of flower. That was 18 hours on, 6 hours off.
I have run 1000 watts of High Pressure Sodium light 28-30 (depending on the plant) inches above the canopy since then. This was also 18 hours on, 6 hours off - until about 2 weeks ago. I switched to 12/12 just in the hopes it might trigger more amber production, but it didn’t.

I am a troll, by the way.
(For those that are wondering about his question, people in Michigan who live below the Mackinac bridge are referred to trolls, and those that live above it (in the upper peninsula) are referred to as yoopers)

I know nothing of autos, but when I grew WW photo, it was like 15-16 weeks from light flip

Autoflowering plants are (for the most part) not really affected by lighting schedules, although you can sometimes use a 12/12 schedule to encourage one to go into flowering if you feel it has been in the vegetative state for too long.
You can read a little about them here:

https://www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/the-difference-between-regular-feminized-and-auto-flowering-marijuana-seeds/#auto

Interesting on the lighting. I have a WWA-ILGM I the go right now it is about 49 days above ground. It will be interesting to see have they compare.

Troll here too.