Whodat's 'Merica" hybrid ;)

As a side note, check your local big-box stores and big chains… Gardening supplies are already on deep discount to make room for Christmas decorations…

@Whodat66 I didn’t look at the pictures. If it is for the plant to treat a cal-mag issue you would add a small amount to the water.

Perhaps you could post what that is called? My eyesight sucks and I can’t really see the name on the bag except “Espoma” and “Organic” That way someone can look it up online as well

1 or 2 tsp per gallon would be my guess, but I have never used that before so I shall tag a few of the guys see if anyone else knows

@Hogmaster @BIGE @Countryboyjvd1971 @WillyJ @Willd @Myfriendis410

1 Like

Thanks! Exactly what I wanted. I’ll add @Donaldj, and if you think of any others prompt them. Not in a hurry. I’ll do nothing before a big dose of the wrong thing.

I have heard that the Cal-mag supplements in the vitamin section will work too, but there again, I have never used that either.

I would go with @bob31 suggested dosage. It looks like you found a good product for introducing calcium quickly into the soil.

1 Like

You can use epsom salts for mag issues but it wont help calcium issues as I believe magnesium helps plant absorb calcium 1-2tbsp per gal as @bob31 said… make sure its not sented or anything

Thanks for the reply. After further review, I didn’t add as much Epsom as the recipe called for, because could not get a definitive answer on exact quantities from the original poster who cited “large bags” and such in the recipe. I had “x” amount of soil, and did not want to “overdo” anything.

2 Likes

I’m happy that you’re getting some input :blush:. Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers: here for you.
I’m scrambling trying to set up drying racks in my bathroom (over 6” rain this week) for my outdoor Widows. Early harvest tomorrow but better than losing it all to mold & rot😊
I also just put on a big pot of chili and wish I could share.

3 Likes

Honestly, I have the “organic” pellets, and I have a few oz of eggshells powdered and mixed with water… I AM adding the eggshells…

1 Like

@SmoknGranny my favorite…or should say one of my favorite foods…chili. I make my own as well. And usually put a big pot on. Usually end up freezing half of it so we can have some later. Yea, too bad, no sharing…but in mind. yummmm.
Trying to get things set up here in case we get hit by the hurricane. Heading this way. Last couple that hit the gulf missed us, but the percentages aint with us. Been about 8 years since one hit this area, so we are due.:worried:

Take care and prepare please. I’m keeping my eyes on the news. I can’t help my family and friends down south but I sure can WORRY :blush:
I always have the intention of freezing some chili but it’s always better the next day and the next day >>>>> then “all gone” :joy:

1 Like

We are fairly safe here from flooding but the wind could be a problem. We had a tree cutting party this summer cutting down a bunch of dead trees and other trees that could threaten property.
Yea, we dont always have enough left over to freeze, but we do try. And yea, it does ALWAYS taste better the next day…and the next…etc. :yum:

1 Like

Yup, that’s it. It is pelletized “Garden Lime”. And yes, I see that it will raise soil pH, so I would have to pH any mixture before I add it to counteract that effect. Just wondering what a safe trial dose would be.

And it does say “fine dolomitic lime”, so this might be a score…

Using their chart for soil that has good pH it says 3.5 lbs for 100 sq.ft.
If my pot is roughly one sq.ft. that would be .035lbs right?

So if my stoned ass can math out .035 lbs (probably in the am over coffee), that would still be the amount for broadcasting on the surface as is, or lightly mixing in the soil. Would that be best, or try for a “tea” and use less?

@Whodat66

I was having low ph issues and sprinkled 1 tablespoon of the same lime per gallon in my starter soil and it slowly raised the ph to acceptable levels. Thanks to @bob31 and a few others they got me on track with my ph. I also put about 1/2 tbsp per gallon, per recommendation, in my FFOF at transplant to help stabilize the ph.

1 Like

I think I’d put it out dry and water it in rather than a tea just to avoid any shock.

I haven’t made chili in a while. My personal preference is chunks of meat rather than ground and we usually use venison. That’s hard to beat. But it has to be hot!

2 Likes

Thanks! I am taking notes, and adding them to my original post. I have dolomite lime in the mix, but I may need to up the recipe amount.

I think soaking the pot helped. She has lost some of the dark green, and I don’t water again until Tuesday. I think that I’ll do the surface thing, but water it in good.

I added the eggshells, ground in a coffee grinder, then ph’d in water. I put them in a squeeze bottle so I could squirt it into the soil, rather than just on top.

1 Like

I make chili with everything. I love a “smoked” chili with meat off the grill.

3 Likes

I cut the bottom 2 leaves (1st 5-leaves) because they were drooping and touching the soil. Their shoots are off and running, doing their own photosynthesis thing, so I think it might be a good thing.