Help a beginner out!

You really should be checking the runoff PPM with a TDS meter so know how much nutes you can safely feed. Try raising the PH of the water your giving them to about 6.7 next time to see if you can get the PH runoff up a little higher. 6.5 runoff is the target.

1 Like

ec411f734f8fffdc4905376a5c226841e3df3212_1_444x500
If you were in week 5 that’s 1st week after switch. It’s 3-2-2. 3tsp bb and 2tsp of both others mixed in same gallon.
Hope we’ve helped you understand. If you have any questions just tag me
@cheapsweater

2 Likes

Thursday will be 28 days and will switch lights then. They will get fed on week 3 amounts since technically they are on week 3 since planting… thanks guys…I’ll try not to kill them… lol

2 Likes

@cheapsweater if three weeks from planting I would use seedling amount my self since your not technically in veg week 3 yet if anything maybe veg week 1 at best just a heads up don’t want you to over feed yet if you have photo seeds

1 Like

Prayer and all the positive Karma you have guys… we will get water in our poolroom (houses a 9ft pool table, and other man cave items… power (3phase) is off to that room and to our a/c as water is creeping up the slab it sets on… just send lots of positive Karma …UPDATE: all is good no real water in house and about the time the girls lights come on VOILA! power was restored. … @country, I gave them 2 cups each of a GB/BB mix and the growth spurt was remarkable. I am with you, I dont want nutrient burn. I will post pictures when I get thru with Harvey cleanup but they look amazing…

Glad to hear you got through ok! @cheapsweater Keep an eye on the water in the area though. Things tend to happen quickly and sometimes without warning! Best wishes!

1 Like

Sounds good @cheapsweater hope all goes well with clean up

1 Like

So happy to know you and yours are safe and sound. Stay high and dry :hugs:

1 Like

@rugar @Countryboyjvd1971 @bob31
My oTwins are doing great-- thurs-saturday in the dark due to not beng able to get to house without a boat…, yesterday and today outside and put inside in the evening.
sTwins are doing ok…
I watered toTwins good thurday moring (2cups each) and until yesterday they were in dark, no electricity, then I watered with the GB/BB that I didn’t pour out as I was too busy trying to save my $hit… vut as of this morning the oTwins look GREAT. Still without electricity…Will post a pic asap…

FYI, can’t get to vinton or lake charles, la from IH10 in Texas as the Sabine river hasn’t crested and Rose City and IH10 are flooded by the Neches river…

@cheapsweater stay safe out there!

1 Like

@Rugar89 @bob31 @garrigan62 @Countryboyjvd1971 @SmoknGranny @Niala
Well, I have been thru Hell and High Water… but my oTwins and my sTwins look good for nearly 72 hours in the dark (Thursday 3:30pm - Sunday 2pm). Since Sunday, until yesterday at 10:30am, they were placed outside from about 7am to any time after 3:30pm. When lights came on yesterday at 10:30, i put them back inside and light schedule to 12/12.
I can’t really tell you how much i fed them between last sunday and today, but i do know i gave them FF mix for 3wk old and then water maybe yesterday(?). They don’t look over watered/over fed. I did do a little trimming as all the undergrowth looked too good not to clip away a few fan leaves.
The sTwins are growing. One had stretched way out and i had to play around with her cup to get a little more support for her stem.
Guys, only thing i see that i have a question— are their supposed to be kind of silver streaks on this ILGM SSH? or is that something i should be worried about.
Please, no bitching… have had enough of people bitching — LOL but here are the pics from this evening.
TAAADAAA

I have the good LED light on them about 18inches from top of plant (should i lower it?)
I am so proud of these girls!!! to have gotten them this far and thru a major disaster.

I’m not sure about the silver bit as I’ve only successfully grow fem white widow outdoors to date. But I’m sure someone will have an answer for you. Hang in there and NO bitchn’ from me😊

1 Like

The amount of light that marijuana receives determines the quantity and quality of the plant and buds. The photo period is the number of light hours verses dark hours in 1 day.Marijuana usually needs 12 hours of dark each day to begin flowering.

Under continuous light Marijuana will grow but will not flower and produce buds. Darkness makes the plants produce flowering hormones and regular undisturbed darkness will make them stop growing and start flowering.

Outdoors the seasons control the photoperiod. As the summer comes to an end and the nights become longer cannabis flowers ready to produce seed. Indoors you control the photoperiod so you can start flowering whenever you wish.

Sunshine is more intense than any artificial light and is free. However some places on earth just don’t get enough. Greenhouse growers can supplement sunshine on dull days with electric lights hung in the greenhouse.

The most efficient types of marijuana lighting are sodium or metal halide high intensity discharge (HID) lamps. Metal halides are strong in the blue spectrum of light and are good for growth. Sodium lights are strong in the red spectrum of light and are good for flowering.

High intensity lights also come with different shades. All combinations work OK but its best to use sodium bulbs in horizontal shades for flowering. Plan on giving 30 to 60 watts of light for each square foot of growing space.

Lights get hot and can burn plants that get too near. However the closer the light to the plants the more intense light they receive. In general keep 400 w lights 30 to 45 cm above plants and 1000 w lights 45 to 75 cm above plants.

Fluorescent light is fine for the growing stage but flowering plants really need more intense HID light. If fluorescents are your only choice choose alternate rows of “Cool White” and “Warm White” bulbs and place them only a few cm’s away from your plants.

Marijuana grow lights

The purpose of this FAQ is to help limit the spread of misinformation regarding effective artificial lighting systems, and help those who choose to grow marijuana plants under artificial lighting make an informed decision before buying a grow lamp.

Most of the information comes from printed sources, and some from electronically distributed files. Though information also comes from a network of experienced growers who have tried various types of marijuana lighting.

This FAQ is not going to tell you how to use your lamp, that information can be found in most grower’s guides.

Introduction

There are three major types of lighting systems available right now for growing marijuana:incandescent, fluorescent, and high intensity discharge. Incandescent lights are horribly inefficient (especially the screw-in “grow bulb” type) and really not an acceptable option for marijuana plant growth. Although they are inexpensive to purchase, their cost of operation makes them the costliest source of light. Therefore avoid at all costs.

Fluorescents

Until the early 1980’s most indoor marijuana growers used fluorescent lights to illuminate their garden. These tubes have tremendous advantages over incandescents. They emit about 3 times as much light as an incandescent (given the same wattage), and the light spectrum is one that plants con use more effectively.

However, they do certainly have their limitations. Light is emitted over a large area, so it is not concentrated. Because of this, the lights have to be hung very close to the plants, and constantly moved to accommodate plant growth. This makes garden maintenance rather difficult. Marijuana plants can often grow very quickly increasing the times the lamps need raising. To add to this, in the flowering period, fluorescsent lights are not effective making them a poor choice for lighting marijuana plants.

Fluorescents are, however, very useful in cloning, and starting seedlings. Because in these stages, a plant is not growing vertically very quickly, the disadvantages of moving the lights are reduced. They also put out a more gentle light than the HID lamps, and release less heat.

If you choose to use fluorescents, it is best to purchase the ‘cool white’ variety or a mix. The ones that are sold as grow lamps (including grow-lux, vitalite, etc.) are much less efficient than a standard fluorescent, and just do not put out enough light to be useful. The slightly different spectrum produced by these lamps does nothing for most plants.

High Intensity Discharge Lamps (HID’s)

You will find pictures of marijuana lights here.

High intensity discharge lamps are easier to use, and more efficient. Low wattage HIDs are sometimes sold for household outdoor use.Large Wattage lamps are used for lighting streets, parking lots, stadiums and other large areas. They come in two basic flavors:

Metal Halides or MH lamps emit a white light that looks slightly bluish. They are used to light stadiums, convention centers, gymnasiums, and other large areas where a natural looking light is desired.

High Pressure Sodium or HPS lamps emit a pink or amber light. They are used for lighting parking lots and other areas where the color of the light is not important. HPS units are much more efficient than MH ones, producing more light and less heat per watt of energy consumed. They are often used alone with no detrimental effect on the plants, and will promote faster plant growth than MH lamps during both vegetative growth and flowering. Combinations of
bulbs are NOT required, as the HPS lamp does produce all of the light spectrums necessary for healthy growth.

MH lamps are available in 175,200, 400 and 1000 watt sizes. HPS lamps come in 50, 75, 150, 400 and 1000 watt sizes. Each lamp requires its own ballast, which comes with the fixtures that are designed to use these lamps, and are also available separately.

The following chart shows how much light each lamp emits, and the area that it covers adequately:

Timers for the garden

The lighting system needs to be switched on and off automatically so the marijuana plants receive 18 hours of light per day during vegetative growth and 12 hours per day when flowering. most hard ware stores and other electronic shops sell timers. they are usually very cheap . It may be advisable however to purchase a more robust timer if your serious like a pool timer.

Lamp # of Lumens Sq. Ft

4’FL (CoolWhite-40W) 2,960 1-2
8’FL (CoolWhite-75W) 5,800 2-4
MH 175W 14,000 5-10
MH 400W 40,000 12-20
HPS 70W 7,600 3-6
HPS 150W 16,000 6-11
HPS 400W 50,000 15-30

Marijuana grow rooms should receive 1000-3000 lumens per square foot. Successful gardens usually are lit at around 2,000 lumens per square foot. During the vegetative stage, plants stretch out when they receive low levels of light. During flowering, the flowers are looser and sparse.

When choosing which marijuana lights to use in your garden, we suggest a combination of MH and HPS with flouros used in cloning and early seedlings. It is also important to chose the right shade. Some will reflect light much better than others. Any good supplier should be able to recommend the best for your requirements.

5 Likes

Great info as always @garrigan62

@Countryboyjvd1971

Thank you sir…just doing my job that all

Willjoint

2 Likes

So far so good. All four girls are growing. I am having to move them to the truck while the insurance adjuster walks thru the house, but they look great.
Thanks for the info on the lighting garrigan65!!! love it…

1 Like

Well, claim adjuster didn’t make it today, so we have rescheduled for Friday — hid the oTwins in the truck and the sTwins outside. I have trimmed a couple of fan leaves so lower leaves get light. it has been a rough 2 weeks for these girls, but they are coming along like troopers, considering the 3day darkness they had — and then the not quite 8 hrs sunlight and now in the truck for a couple of hours… lol (truck parked in the shade)… I have all of them on a 12/12 schedule… and we are on Day 41 for oTwins and Day 22 for sTwins since planting.

@bob31 @Rugar89 @Majiktoker @garrigan62 @Countryboyjvd1971 @SmoknGranny @Lindababy H
ere is what my oTwins look like. I have done some trimming along the way, and am doing week 4 FF feeding schedule although they are day 54 from planting, with 72hrs full darkness during Harvey, and a week in the sun all day, several days hidden in the truck. I have plans to put the flowering CFL light in this weekend but am trying my hand at a SCROG, but we’ll see. I feel blessed that these two girls have come this far.
The oTwins!

Twin #1

Twin #2

7 Likes

They look great @cheapsweater if you can get them through a hurricane you can do anything!

:v::+1::palm_tree::grin::star::heart:

4 Likes