Advice for beginning grower. Help please!

I think the DWC unit below is the same that Donald had a link to a few posts back but its a few bucks cheaper at this link. I don’t know about the one you’re asking about, but personally I’m setting up a four by four with 3 or 4 plants and I’m going with this type, or a stand-alone unit like it, best wishes on your new endeavor

http://generalhydroponics.com/waterfarm-1

I actually build my own bubblers but not as simple as most people would want which is plug and play units with instructions and all you need for me it’s cost effective since I have key components on hand pumps hydroton and containers. For me as easy as getting net pots and a few new air stones :slight_smile:

Donald I have a question, I used to use a passive tray system and scrogging is new to me. I understand the stone and the bubbler principal, same as in my passive system but what I don’t understand is how does the air force the water to the drip ring in that General Hydroponics standalone module??

Is there a bubbler inside? I don’t really know how it works without a water pump, I tried looking it up and I couldn’t find that specific info

-thanks

1 Like

Yea @paranorman, I actually bought the GH farm Kit, which is just the drip ring setup. I made my own bucket, and installed the farm kit to it, making my DWC bubbler bucket a top drip system as well. The drip ring setup is amazing, and yes, it forces air down into the tube, forcing water back up. Physics at its best. You just plug an air hose into the top, and watch as the water drips out from the ring. I would definitely recommend for anyone wanting to make a drip ring, but don’t have the ability to do it for themselves. Very good quality from GH. You can also cut the drip ring, making it exactly the size you want.

Exactly it uses air pressure to lift water through tube the bubbles flowing up the tube lift water with them

this is how they work :wink:

The hydro farm works more as a NFT system than a DWC it uses the water running through the leca and over the roots to add air to the res a highly effective system add into it an airstone and you are getting best of both worlds. Really I like the idea of more people learning how to make their own systems this is where inovations and new ideas come from sitting back smoking a bowl and letting the creative juices flow and I also like intelligent questions :slight_smile: they produce the same result and get people thinking.

2 Likes

That’is exactly what I was hoping to hear!:slight_smile:

So now I’ve got my hydro system and reflector/HID system picked out, now I’m looking for a 4 × 4 × 7’ grow tent.

I don’t want to spend too much on it, I’d rather buy low to mid range and seal up any light leaks with some gaffer tape, are there any that stand out for both quality and value?

-thanks

I think gorilla is the most expensive, so if you’re going for a cheaper tent, stay away from them. If you’re a hands on guy, I’d recommend to build your own. I did it with a budget of less than $75. It also allows you to customize the tent for your exact needs or wants. But, if you’re looking to just buy a tent, and for cheap, I recommend searching Craigslist first. I always find people selling growing equipment. If you can’t find any on there, keep searching online. You shouldn’t spend more then $150 for a 4x4 tent in my opinion.

Thanks for the input I’m familiar with guerrilla they are about three times more than what I’m looking to spend. I’ve got a link for a $99 one and I read the reviews, the big problems are light leaks and people said they just taped them up which I’m willing to do. I’m not into building my own stuff these days I’m getting a little long in the tooth

https://www.hydrowholesale.com/mobile/products.cfm/id/5432/name/grow-room-tent-4-x-4-x-7

Mr Glass not trying to hijack your thread we’re both looking for the same products and I know I’ve got some great answers in this thread, hope the answers your looking for are here too

Edit: I’ve been looking at so many tents! The one above might have been the one the reviews said had zipper ‘issues’.

Cheaper tents don’t review well when supporting the light. You may need to reinforce that part.

Buying the GH performance pack for my first grow getting some calmag as well. Should I also buy some hydroguard just in case a problem comes up? Or should I be ok with just having hydrogen peroxide on hand?? Donald any thoughts?

Hydro guard is a silicate good for veg but most stop using early in flower and also is something you use as a prevention additive far less useful if used after an issue arises. I plan every grow knowing full well that some problem will always come up

Thanks a lot Donaldj!

MarsHydro tents are every bit as sturdy and well made as Gorilla Steel framed thick canvas, excellent zippers, lots of fan intakes 5 in my 39x39x70" 3 ventilation flaps 8 x 18" two electrical inlets 3". Awesome tent. Cheap $99.00

Good looking out brother…perfect startup passing it on to friends that want to start growing

Even more important Hydroguard contains beneficial bacteria, several different strains. I use it in Hydro and coco throughout the entire grow. I will be using it in soil here soon, testing Canna Terra Professional soil for the heck of it :slightly_smiling:

Just got my carbon filter in and as a friend was helping me set up my tent dropped it from the ceiling of my tent. Will this drastically effect it’s ability? Even though it’s brand new. Also noticed there was a ton of the carbon dust in the shipping box should I be worried?

there will be some dust first while it is running much like a carbon filter in a sink dropping it may or may not have damaged it you will only know if it isn’t working

When I soak seeds do I need to ph water first??

Most likely, depending on what your pH is