Advice for beginning grower. Help please!

Storage at big box stores is terrible for bagged soil products.

Outdoors, this stuff would be mixed with dirt, rained on, and be made safer…indoors, buy carefully, smell and feel the bag and choose wisely.

I get mine from hydro shop and it’s all stored indoors :slight_smile:

It probably cost more than a big box, if they even have it in stock, BUT, a few dollars more up front rewards you with a safer, bigger grow, and not buying supplements to fix problems.

Actually cheapest place in town and he orders more than the big box stores any given day be 10 pellets and his rotation is far faster too the big box stores also store seasonal stock

lol, with you as a customer, is 10 pallets enough? :smirk:

Roflmao $35 for 107L which is enough soil for roughly 7 plants after adding extra perillite in my 5 Gal pots since I pot progressively I go through a bag maybe 2 a month. Everything goes through solo cups then 1 gal than 3 gal and finishes in 5 gal

1 Like

I love that you support a local, small business…

I’m thinking of purchasing this for my first hydro grow. http://www.generalhydroponics.com/ecogrower-1
For my small grow tent anyone with experience of thoughts on the set up? Only looking to grow 2 maybe 3 plants at a time is that realistic using a system like this? Thanks for any input your willing to share?

http://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-EcoGrower-Hydroponic-System/dp/B0030GV58M?tag=greenrel-20

it’s realistic only thing I see is single res so if anything goes wrong all plants are effected also would have to keep your plants pretty small and honestly could make your own for less if you want multiple plants in one res.

Would suggest buying a couple of the hydro farms you mentioned earlier as a better option for me. Since I’m a first time grower?
http://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-GH4120-WaterFarm-Complete/dp/B001ID8CMG?tag=greenrel-20

they are a simpler set up each has it’s own pump and res so if 1 gets root rot or infection only one plant suffers they come with everything to start and likely cost about the same as the other unit hard to go wrong on that deal. They are also square and fit nicely together in a space I personally think along the lines of safety in separation a root zone issue is easier to deal with on one plant than 3 and plants like some space

they are a simpler set up each has it’s own pump and res so if 1 gets root rot or infection only one plant suffers they come with everything to start and likely cost about the same as the other unit hard to go wrong on that deal. They are also square and fit nicely together in a space I personally think along the lines of safety in separation a root zone issue is easier to deal with on one plant than 3 and plants like some space

Anyone have any experience with advanced nutrients ph perfect line??? Thinking of getting those for my first grow for indoor hydro. Just feel like there’s less of a chance for me to screw up if I use these. Also do they have smaller sizes?

If you start with RO or distilled water it works as advertised tap water you will still have to adjust ph honestly you are better off learning to ph and and adjust it is a skill which you will come to appreciate through all your grows. The downside to ph perfect is it only works at recommended dose 4ml all 3 parts per liter which puts your ppm way high at start of grow

I see. Thanks a lot Donald. Seriously you’ve been so much help. I’ll probably just go with GO then since I’ll be using tap. And learn to ph my water. I’m starting to purchase everything and reading like crazy looking forward to my first attempt at growing in a few weeks.

1 Like

Keep us updated, I know I for one am looking forward to hearing more about your first growing experience. The guys here are amazing and always help out when they can! I am also doing my first hydro grow, so I’m right there with you! Definitely get a pH pen and learn how to pH your water, soil, runoff, nutes, all the good stuff lol. When I first started in soil I had no idea how much pH really affects your grow. Get one at the beginning, learn how to use it, get the pH up and pH down solution kit, it will help you with getting your pH perfect. And keep posting with updates and questions!

1 Like

Will do! Hey anyone know why everything is from Amazon rather than eBay?

they help support this forum we actually edit the code on some links to get credit for directing someone in their direction I personally prefer you get things local gives you a chance to meet local growers and support a local business but if budget is your goal if you can find products cheaper by all means :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ahh I see. Just was curious

All good the other reason being it is a common place which regardless of where you are can be used to give an example of an item or to compile a list with visual aspect the option to buy is at anyone’s discretion :wink: