What kind of Fox Farm soil for my first transplant

Hello everyone. I am transplanting my plants into a half gallon pot from little pots. The roots have started to come through. I see the website recommends Fox Farm. Would that be the salamander or another kind for first transplant. I am also having a little trouble finding Fox Farm salamander locally. Is there an alternative? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jeff

Well i think keep it simple at first. Dont go to a small pot just go ahead and gonto a 3 gallon if possible. And fox farm ocean forest is really good with just some extra perlite. And really your done. The more you transplant it put the plant at jeopardy for many things.

2 Likes

And hello Jeff.

1 Like

Hello soil growth and thank you for the help. What is the difference between salamander and ocean forest?

The site does not recommend Foxfarm soil. However; Many growers do and it is a great soil mix. You should use Ocean Forest. It is the most popular Foxfarm soil used by the most growers. No one uses Salamander that I know of. Any Foxfarm soil should work well.

You can use any potting mix you want to for your immediate needs. Just go to any garden center and ask the sales person what would be the best potting mix (not potting soil) you need to transplant a couple of tomato seedlings for your fall/winter harvest. It might be too late in the season wherever you live, so just find a potting mix. Any brand will get you buy and should be just fine. :slight_smile:

p.s. I deleted your other post. Please refrain from making multip[le posts about the same topic. You won’t get any faster of a response, you will just upset mentors and helpers seeing the same question 2wive. OK? Good :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you for erasing and the helpful tips. I didn’t mean to post twice. I couldn’t find it and thought that the topic didn’t get started. Anyhow, thank you. Also on bergmans lab course he recommends FoxFarm on day 12 of growing with a direct link. That’s why I thought that is what was best to use. Thanks again for everything!

Jeff

I’m on my first grow and I’m using Foxfarm ocean and I have not added anything except my water with distilled water at 6.0 to 6.5 no newt yet on one of my plants out of the two just to see the difference in what happens with it

2 Likes

Sorry im lost. Robert burgman suggests to use it in his burgmans lab but teamleader dont recommend. Is it a go or a no.
Not trying to be a smart arse but the same people giving seperate advice. I must be a bit lost here @latewood. Plz let me know whats correct.

I use a lot of fox farms products, from seedlings to young plants I use fox farm seed starter, if you don’t want to spend the money on that just use half &half ocean forest and vermiculite until you transplant into your final pots. This works for me,

1 Like

Sometimes you’ll run into this conflict, it’s simply that most people choose their own way to go about growing. Robert and Latewood are just two different people with two different ideas. Both work, and both have a tremendous amount of knowledge. If you’re still confused let me know and I’ll try to help the best I can!
:evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree::v:

3 Likes

No thats great thanks. Wasnt trying to stir the pot. I was a little confused. Most of what im learning here is easy. But theres a few growing techniques that im still learning.
This is my hobbie and i want to get the most out of it. Thanks ppls

3 Likes

[quote=“Owenation, post:6, topic:7444, full:true”]
Thank you for erasing and the helpful tips. I didn’t mean to post twice. I couldn’t find it and thought that the topic didn’t get started. Anyhow, thank you. Also on bergmans lab course he recommends FoxFarm on day 12 of growing with a direct link. That’s why I thought that is what was best to use. Thanks again for everything!

Jeff
[/quote]Yeah, Sorry Jeff. My post gives the wrong impression. We all think that Foxfarm is excellent. And; Robert was posting a great choice. I have also read where he condones the use of Miracle Grow soil if that is what you want to use. That is what I meant that we do not recommend; As in "We advise on what we feel would work best and go from there. Sorry for the confusion ")

1 Like

My post was misunderstood. I was stating that we do not in general endorse products. We advise growers on what to use. I also posted that Ocean Forest was great and it was the favorite of growers everywhere. I hope this clears your confusion.

@latewood. Yes im a little slow sometimes. But thanks for that. You have some great info under your name. Im gowing through it and am learning heaps
Thanks.

1 Like

No worries latewood. I appreciate all the know how from you and I’ll listen to what you say any day. Thank you!